Author Topic: India: Help please with Baker 1880's West Bengal  (Read 22559 times)

Offline LEOLINEDANCER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: India: Help please with Baker 1880's West Bengal
« Reply #225 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello I too am Searching for my Baker Family In India My Great grand Mother Was Mary Ann Baker B 9-9-1864 Bombay India Her father's name was Henry Baker also Born Abt 1830 Dysur  India His occupation Was Overseer on B.B.H.I Railway (Bombay &  Baroda.H.I Railway)he was married to Mary? My gt grand Mother Mary Ann Baker Married John Henry Green On the 7-3-1885 Saint Thomas Cathedral, Veer Nariman Road, Fort, Bombay India He was Impoyed as an engineer Engineer, Government Dockyard.
My GT Grand Mother Died 28 Sept 1950 Age 86 in Bombay I am also trying to find links to the Green Family  ??? hope some one can help Regards Noreen
Whitehill of Worfield Shropshire & India

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mustang65

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Monday 03 February 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello I too am Searching for my Baker Family In India My Great grand Mother Was Mary Ann Baker B 9-9-1864 Bombay India Her father's name was Henry Baker also Born Abt 1830 Dysur  India His occupation Was Overseer on B.B.H.I Railway (Bombay &  Baroda.H.I Railway)he was married to Mary? My gt grand Mother Mary Ann Baker Married John Henry Green On the 7-3-1885 Saint Thomas Cathedral, Veer Nariman Road, Fort, Bombay India He was Impoyed as an engineer Engineer, Government Dockyard.
My GT Grand Mother Died 28 Sept 1950 Age 86 in Bombay I am also trying to find links to the Green Family  ??? hope some one can help Regards Noreen

Would this be any relation to a Richard Alan Baker whome had sons John my grandfather, Robert, Leslie Baker ? John was living in Allahabad India and died in 1956, I believe his brothers went back to the UK which I'm trying to trace

John Baker was married to Madeline Perkins and had 2 boys Allan and Neville Baker

Neville Baker was married to Helen Greene

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Sunday 24 January 16 01:38 GMT (UK) »
A lot of good work here. Posting because i would like to hear what you find in future

Offline HughBaker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Bakers in India
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been reading through your posts about WHBaker and Helena.  Very interesting and informative, especially as a lesson in how to find records for India.
I have also been trying to trace Bakers in India.  I don't know if they intersect with yours at all, but perhaps they can help you eliminate some from your list.

It is so difficult to trace them back very far...too many Bakers.

So in the 1850's we have Col. William Thurlow Baker(1824-1900)(H. B. M. 4th Regt. of Foot)(m. Elizabeth Vincent) and brothers, Charles George(b.1830) and John Thurlow(1834-1909) emigrating to Canada from India then to Iowa, USA.  All of them were born in India, according to US Census records, and Iowa State census (helps to sort them out from the various and sundry other Bakers in Iowa).  Their father was John(1789-1861, d. at Good Hope, S. Africa), mother Lydia King(b.1798) (yes...another one of those common names), grandfather William Baker, and Mother Elizabeth Thurlow (her parents: Thomas Thurlow and Mary Shuldric).  Can't figure out anyone older that William. 

In one of your posts, you mention finding a record of a female Baker, granddaughter living w. grandmother.  I have seen that record, and there are a number of grandchildren, b. in India, with grandmother, Lydia. Anyway, seems they were possibly all there on holiday with her.  Those would be my Bakers.

The 3 brothers had the following siblings:

Lydia King Baker 1821-1881
   Ellen Baker b. 1823
   Edward Baker b. 1823
   Flora Elizabeth Baker b.1829
   Ellen Sarah Baker b. 1833 (possibly the same person as Ellen above w. birth year error?)
   Anne G Baker

John Thurlow, my 3 Great Gr., married in Iowa, to Victoria M Relf.

Charles George's marriage records are available as well; haven't got to them yet.
Hopefully you can at least scratch some names off of your list. 
I can't figure out where, if at all, that our Bakers connect.

Jewelsconundrum,

I have this tree too: John Thurlow Baker is my Great Great Grand Uncle (his brother Edward Biscay Marinatus Baker is my Great Great Grandfather).  My father researched their father John Baker's tree as far as UK and India records would allow about 20 years ago, and I just found the files.

Reply if you want to share.