Author Topic: french children to a notts lace maker ?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline carolynne.w

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
french children to a notts lace maker ?
« on: Tuesday 08 September 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
I am rather puzzled as to my Wealthall family suddenly having 2 French children in between census.

I have a thomas Wealthall and wife Sarah who have children in nottingham then suddenly on the 1881 census they have two French children (listed as theirs on the 1881 &1891 census)  Eva Wealthall 1877 and Ernest Wealthall 1879.(British subjects)

Does any body have any thing similar around that time, that a group of  Nottingham Lace makers went to Calais France for ? years  to work, then returned.
if it was just the man going i could understand  but the wife too ! and possibly the other children ?? 

Was there some fantastic piece of lace that needed to be made or were they showing the French their skill and trade ?

I can trace Ernest wealthall (1879) up to 1911. on the 1901 census it says married yet cant find a marriage for him or a wife. In 1911 he is on to 2nd wife (married 1908) living in Devon mouth.

Eva wealthall  can see a marriage for her in 1893 (am sending for marriage cert)
but with either man listed on same (bmd's) nothing !

why are this family so difficult ?
any help or enlightenment most welcome .

Carolynne W.
Lempard /Archbold/ Shaw /Wealthall /Foster /Allsop/ Hannibal

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: french children to a notts lace maker ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
There is certainly another thread about this which explains the Calais connection very well
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,332765.0.html
is the one.   Lots of useful information here.
Andrea

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi both  :)

A quick 1901 census search makes me think by elimination that Eva married Reinhardt R H ?Ganssauge?: an Albert Edward  Blatherwick dies in 1900 and the 1901 census shows a widowed Sarah Blatherwick with her daughter Florence Hudson (the other female on the marriage page was Sarah Ann Hudson)

Can't find any other reference to thhe Ganssauge (or variant) family though  :(
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
I too have in my tree a lace maker, though this time from Leicester, who went with his family to Calais in the late 1820's; two of his children were born there.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline carolynne.w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
thank you for the replies  mine however  were in the 1870's not 1820's  but it has made sense to me .
Tati   thanks for that  i too have  worked that Ganssauge  must be the husband by doing as you did , but i'm also at a cross roads as to what happened next.  and have still had no success finding Ernest's Wealthall's first wife.

this family are throwing every thing possable at me !!!!!!! from changing surname spelling  to marrying germans??  and vanishing .

thanks for your help so far

Carolynne W
Lempard /Archbold/ Shaw /Wealthall /Foster /Allsop/ Hannibal

Offline platiau

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 Census of Calais , Massena street, Thomas WEALTHALL is seen maried with Sarah CLAY, aged 57 and 53, with children Anne 30, Violetta, 21, Eva 14 born july 17 1876 in Calais, Ernest 12 born July 11 1878 in Calais and Sarah 9. An Albion WEALTHALL was born in 1870 in Nottingham from same parents , he died on January 29 1879 in Calais.Seen on 1871 England census also Thomas born Nottingham around 1858 and Benjamin around 1859
Also with different spelling a Margaret WHELTHALL born around 1814 in Newcastle, who died february 18 1881 in Calais. Daughter of Benjamin and wife of John BEARDALL.
cheers
Charles

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
In the 1991 Census of Calais , rue Massena, Thomas WEALTHALL is seen maried with Sarah CLAY, aged 57 and 53, with children annie 30, Violetta, 21, Eva 14, Ernest 12 and Sarah
chhers
Charles

I know you meant 1891 not 1991. I've done the math! You can correct the date by editing your post.
Welcome to RootsChat.  :)
Cowban

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Just as an aside, I have a Mary crofts in my family tree who was born in 1843 in France listed as British subject. I eventually found her birth registered at the British embassy in Calais. Her dad was connected to the lace industry and the family was over there for I think about 7 years