Author Topic: Fleet Pond Camp  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Gleick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Pond Camp
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

I came across this thread whilst doing a search on Fleet Pond.

I run the blog for Fleet Pond Society ( http://fleetpond.wordpress.com ) and we are always looking for interesting new ideas for articles.

We would be happy to post the Cook House picture on our blog to see if any of our (local) readers had any comments or suggestions, if that would be helpful to you.

Also would you allow us to add a copy of that picture to our existing collection? I attach two photos from this that might be of interest.

Finally, regarding information, our Chairman, Colin Gray, writes:

Fleet Pond was incorporated into the army training lands acquired in 1854 when the Aldershot Garrison was built.  It stayed with the army until 1972 by which time Fleet town had grown right up to the boundary of the pond. I suspect that it became unacceptable to have artillery training so close to residential areas, so Fleet Pond was made redundant and sold to Fleet UDC in January 1973 for £10,000. Hart Council inherited it in 1974 when FUDC was disbanded and Hart DC founded.   

I hope you find this interesting and helpful!

Offline Tabbitha

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Pond Camp
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Gleick.I am more than happy for you to take add a  copy to your gallery..

Also if it helps me towards finding Jack/John it would be great.

Thanks for posting the info about FleetPond and your link also.I shall enjoy looking on there.

Do you have any more info about the 2 photos you posted ie:- regiment/dates etc.
kind regards

tabby

Lancs:Barrow,Boyer,Carr,Leete,Morris,Phillips,Sabine,Thickett.
West Midlands:Barnett,Blackwood,Falconer
Ireland: Hearn,Morris
USA :Boyer,Thickett