Author Topic: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres  (Read 12005 times)

Offline Cmck72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dijo, I don't recognize any of the people in your photograph.  I only remember my grandfather speaking about family in Manitoba (although it's not unreasonable to expect some of them to have moved to B.C.).

I was interested to read that William had a twin brother; I wasn't aware of this. 

Spud, I knew Mary quite well and I still see her husband, Robert, a couple of times a year (he also happens to be my grandmother's brother - she was married to Alfred Mckenzie).  Robert has an amazing memory for details about the Mckenzie family and the last time I was there he let me make copies of a bunch of his photographs.

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about the photo.

My research shows 10 children born to John McKenzie (McKinzie/MacKenzie) and Margaret Garaland. John ~1816 in Ceres; Agnes ~1817 in Kettle; Margaret March 1, 1819 / baptized March 14,1819 Coalton, Kettle: Ann May 4,1821 / bap June 3, 1821 Cults; David and Willliam Sept. 9,1825 / bap Sept. 25, 1825 Bowhill, Kettle; Mary July 20, 1827 / bap Aug. 19, 1827 Kettle; Alexander Dec. 17, 1829 / bap Jan. 17, 1830 Kettle; Andrew June 15, 1832 / bap July 18, 1830 Bowhill, Kettle; James July 21, 1835 / bap Aug. 9, 1835 Bowhil,  Kettle. 

In the 1841 census, only John and Alexander are missing from the list of the family who are living in Bowhill, Kettle.  In 1851, the family is living in Kirkforthar Feus but only Agnes, Margaret and James are living at home.  I believe John (married with children) and Alexander are living in Drums, Falkland. William (married with a child) is lving in Collessie. In 1861 William is living with his sister Agnes and his children in Kinglassie and in 1871 is living in Markinch with his children.  Alexander had moved to Lanarkshire by this time.  In the 1871 census, Margaret Garland (83) was living in Markinch with her daughters Margaret (50) and Mary (38). I could not track the other family members.

I have copies of some docs for the family and have viewed all the "originals" at the archives in Edinburgh to ensure their accuracy.

Hope this helps and you can connect some dots from this info.

Offline SpudJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing all this Dijo!

I wonder if anyone has any ideas for how we can try to identify the first John McK, the subject of my original post.

One unusual thing is that the marriage with Margaret Nairn seems to have been quite a late one for these days, since if her parentage is the one we think it is she was 33 in 1789. Which would also explain why the kids seem to stop in 1800.

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
I think the chances of trying to identify the original John McK are slim.  A family bible would do the trick (I am surprised how many bibles are still in families - I would never have traced my great-grandfather John Smith without it!).  The other possibility would be to search cemeteries, monumental inscriptions and burial records. I was briefly in the Fife area a couple of years ago but did not do any of these ideas justice. I skimmed the monumental inscription books for some cemeteries in the area but found nothing.  I have found old headstones that are not listed in the MI books so it is certainly worth visiting cemeteries.  I have found at cemeteries that many have the original records of burial and if you know the date of death, the folks will search though their records.  The best bet for all these options is to live in the area and have time to do the research. I'm live in Canada and never have enough time to do everything when I visit Scotland!  Love to know if anyone else has other ideas.

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
spud
never shy of a pint or 3,gathering the clan together might take some effort though. it took a bit to of work for a  get together for mums 80th
mackenzie  park  mcdonald   old monkland   coatbridge  dalserf

Offline SpudJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
That's a fine looking bunch! Yes, I wasn't thinking of anything so comprehensive - it just seems ironic that two strands of a family descended from two brothers should be in the same far-flung town (from a Scottish perspective anyway) and not know each other! If I was there, it would be easy to organise, but I'm in Italy. I'll try to think of something anyway.

Offline gjlms

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi  - after reading all the posts re John Mckenzie - I am at the stage of not being able to find John Mackenzie's 1757-1829 parents. My mother was Gladys Mckenzie (married Smith) her father being John Mckenzie 1883-1959 my grand-father, GG was another John 1850-1916 and then GGG-William 1825-1913, GGGG- John 1792-1854, hitting the road block at John Mackenzie 1757-1829
My parents moved to Adelaide Sth. Australia along with Aunt Jennie (Janet) Conner sister to Annie whom married John Mckenzie my grandmother. Agnes daughter to Annie also moved to Australia
Enjoy reading all posts re Mckenzie/mackenzie and information provided