Author Topic: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres  (Read 12007 times)

Offline SpudW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 January 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
So nobody's been able to push back beyond 1789 to find out anything about the first John McK's parentage?

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 12 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I could not get further back then John Mckenzie who married Margaret Nairn.  I have some possibillities for Margaret Nairn.

Interesting about Alexander going to Australia - my grandfather indicated that someone in the family had gone there but I thought he said John had joined the marines, moved to Canada and then to Australia.  Did they go directly or via Canada? Do you know if they ever visited British Columbia, Canada?  As mentioned, i have a picture of the McKenzie family in Vancouver in the 1930s.  Do you think you would recognize anyone? If so, I can find it and post it.

He also mentioned one of the family - I think Robert - went to Transvaal, South Africa and worked at the Golden Coach Hotel.

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 January 12 00:43 GMT (UK) »
On his marriage form( 1918) Alexander was able seaman at hms Vernon   He was apparently affect by mustard gas during the war,he had 2 children born in Coatbridge. In late1923 he and his family emmigrated via London on the ship the Balranald to Fremantle Au.  Unless he went during or prior to the war i don't think he made it to BC. He died 1950, i will find a pic for you and yes i would like to see your picture
mackenzie  park  mcdonald   old monkland   coatbridge  dalserf

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 January 12 01:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if my grandfather was confused in his later years and it was your relative that he was talking about.  My grandfather was at Ypres in the mustard gas attack but happily did not suffer any long term effects. 

I tried posing three pictures but the system crashed on me.  I am trying now with one picture - my grandmother and the McKenzies.  My grandmother is on the left in the picture.

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 12 02:44 GMT (UK) »
only this one at the moment as i'm at work, average quality

Offline SpudW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
For Margaret Nairn, I have:

1756: Margaret Nairn, born April 22nd to Andrew Nairn (weaver) & Elspeth McQuare, Scotstarvit, Ceres, Fife.

It's frustrating not to be able to follow back from John, though.

There were always rumours in my own family that some McKenzies went to Canada, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Interesting that another branch of the family ended up in Perth, Aus, since my uncle's family is there too! Are there still descendents living there?

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
there are still plenty of descendents living here and from one of his sons (my father) about 30 people There are also descendants of a daughter in Perth  His first son lived on the south coast  ,the others over east   

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I tried posting some more pics but I keep getting a message the pics are over the limit.  i am not sure if there is a way to share emails without us posting our email addresses online.  If anyone knows, please advise

Anyhow, in terms of Margaret Nairn, my final choice was also David Nairn and Elspeth McQuare, particulary as John MacKenzie and Margaret Nairn had a daughter named Elspeth.  I did not find the birth of a son David though. 

I found four possible births in Fife, one in Ceres (1756), two in Newburgh (1755 and 1757 - less likely) and one in Monimail (1768).  Monimail is close to Ceres and if this one is correct, her parents were William Nairn and Margaret Smith.  John MacKenzie and Margaret Nairn did have children named William and Margaret but I leaned to the other choice of David Nairn and Elspeth McQuare given the name Elspeth is less common.  Guess we will never know for sure unless we find family headstones or family bibles!!

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Interesting about your grandfather Alexander having two children born in Coatbridge.  Annie Ritchie McKenzie and her parents (Alexander McKenzie and Ann Ritchie McKenzie) lived at 70C Dunbeth Road, Coatbridge when her illegitimate son, my grandfather, Alexander McKenzie was born in 1895.  The name Steel was added to my grandfather's name sometime after Annie married Alexander Steel and by the 1901 census my grandfather was shown with the last name Steel.  (He changed the spelling to Steele).   

When Alexander Mckenzie (1829) died in 1900 his residence was shown as 60 Ronald Street, Old Monkland and when Ann Ritchie McKenzie died in 1917 her residence was 67 A/1 Dundyvan Road, Coatbridge.  Are any of these addresses matches for your grandfather Alexander?  Annie Ritchie McKenzie died in 1942 in Shotts.

Funny how many Alexander McKenzie's there are!  It gets confusing at a point!  You can just imagine when the family came together in the old days how confusing it would be!