Author Topic: Place in London, 1949 **COMPLETED, THANKS**  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Rachael89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place in London, 1949
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Wow, what quick work! Thank-you everyone - case solved! I'll definitely be making a visit to the Italian Gardens the next time I'm in London!
Virgin, Mogford, Grant, Clay, Moss, Santer, Arkle

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Place in London, 1949 **COMPLETED, THANKS**
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 September 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
I did of course mean Lancaster Gate  :P
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 September 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
The buildings were almost certainly in Bayswater Road but if I remember correctly Lancaster Gate is behind the photographer to his left and the tube station is almost opposite the gate.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 September 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
the hotel that straddles Lancaster Gate Tube Station is the only high-rise building I'm aware of along that section of the Bayswater road.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 September 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
See the following:

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/mapping/map.php?pc=W2+2UE

You are right that Lancaster Gate Tube Station is probably in the picture but it is the building on the left rather than the one just over her head.  It is obviously no longer a multi-storey hotel.  Where my memory went wrong was in thinking the tube station was actually opposite Lancaster Gate.  It is nearly fifty years since I used to walk along there nearly every Sunday.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 September 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
rather than the one just over her head.  It is obviously no longer a multi-storey hotel.

over whose head?

I was referring to the last pic referenced.... dated 2006

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0723/

the video you show, and the adverts on the same page would suggest the Royal Lancaster (as was) is still high rise. 416 rooms on a site that size must imply such ?

anyway, we digress, at least the OP can locate it, and even stay in the Hotel  :P

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry I thought we were discussing the area as it was in 1949, the subject of this post.  That monstrosity was built much later and is behind the tube station the entrance to which was as I remember it straddled by a large building of around the Victorian era, now obviously destroyed.  The platforms of the station are of course way underground.

I used to live in Orme Court just behind the next station Queensway opposite  Spike Milligan's house but some years before him.  Even though the line was deep below us the building still vibrated when the trains went through.  Just to complete the picture number 5 Orme Court the London headquarters of Opus Dei in the Da Vinci Code was next door to Spike's house but did not have the required side entrance so vital to the story.

David