Author Topic: Thoms Lookup please :) Donnelly Shops - Dublin  (Read 20856 times)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
Thoms Lookup please :) Donnelly Shops - Dublin
« on: Wednesday 09 September 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
If anyone has access to a Thoms from this range of years, 1889 - 1895, could you please check out 25/26 Cuffe Street in Dublin?

There SHOULD be a Donnelly family there, and they should be running a shop which could be a Fruiterer and Florist or a butchers, but if someone could verify it that would be great. I'm not sure if it will be a P. Donnelly or a T. Donnelly, again another uncertainty.

If anyone has Thoms from the years closely before and after my range would they be able to check them out too and see if the shop or the family are still there? I'm fairly sure about the 1889- 1895 because I have copies of advertisements from the Irish Times. However, it states that they are meat Traders. The photo I have clearly says that the shop is a Fruiterer and Florist so I'm a bit confused. I know their very close family friend was a butcher, and even lived with them for a time so maybe they joined forces at some stage?...

Thank you :)

The photo is at this link ( Don't worry, it's nothing bad, it just sends you to pix.ie where I'm hosting the photo cause it's too big for this site apparently)

http://pix.ie/alicat/1212666/size/1200
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Thoms Lookup please :)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,you can search the 1911 census,,,which is now complete and free....i have had a look at cuffe street,,,i cant see any connollys there then,,,,however the irish census is much more detailed than the english ,,you can look at the buildings sheets and see what type of dwelling it is. here is a link to cuffe street....you can have a look at the number you are interested in,,,just click on the occupants of the number of the street you are interested in,,,then click on the census images to look at the buildings return forms etc,,,,you might find something of interest ,,if nothing else,,,,regards,,,Mike

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mansion_House/Cuffe_St__/

there is a margaret connolly at house number 27.2
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply :)

It's actually Donnelly by the way, not Connelly but thank you! :D

Yeah I have them on the census alright, but at that stage they had moved to Pembroke Street and the father is now listed as a "Motorman" (apparently he even drove DeValera around a bit).

I'm not even certain it was the same guy who had the shop though, cause The Motorman's name is Thomas while the Irish Times Ads are listing it as a P. Donnelly, which maybe could be a brother or something?? You know how family rumours can get around like Chinese Whispers over the years :D That's why I kinda wanted to know what the Thoms said. The last known record I have of the shop owned by the Donnellys is in 1895, an ad for meat for Christmas.

Hopefully in a few months the 1901 census might shed some more light on the situation. In the meantime, I just thought someone might be able to check the Thoms out for me. Very busy at work lately and can't find the time to go to Pearse St Library yet :(
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
Alicat

Slater's Directory 1894 shows  Patrick Donnelly ..Butcher as the occupier of No.25 Cuffe Street.
The Irish Times for 22nd November 1887 on P.2 Advert. shows P.Donnelly  Meats.
I have no reference to Donnelly being in No.26 and further, he was gone from No.25 by 1911(per Thoms).

Regards       Quaxer

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
Ohhh thank you very much! :D

I had a feeling it was a different family member alright. So it was definitely a butcher's at that stage.

Interesting that the photo I have is a Fruiterer/Florist though. You can see in the top left of the photo that it says Cuffe Street, and the numbers on the shop front are 25/26 so I suppose my next job will be to find out when that photo was taken. My great grandfather was a photographer from a young age (at age 18 in 1911 he's listed as one) so maybe he took the photo and this was after 1911 at some stage.

It's still in the Donnelly name at both times though so I'll have to find out who this Patrick fella is.
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
Alicat

Thanks for your latest.
Have always had a curiosity about Cuffe Street. Would love to see the photo up on the screen ,if it is possible (it would be beyond my skills) and maybe we can date it from street directories.
Say the word if you need any occupants from adjoining properties from the Irish Times or Thoms etc.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 09 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Quaxer, I tried resizing the photo, hopefully this might work, but it's going to be very small I think!

I'm nearly certain that Thomas Donnelly was involved with a/the shop on Cuffe Street at some stage though. We had a family reunion about two years ago and it was held in the hotel on the Corner of Old Cuffe Street because that's where the shop was! So the whole family are convinced of it anyway.

I've found a Patrick Donnelly now in Dublin in 1911 listed as a "Bullock Man"...that could be him! The ads in the Times mention the cattle markets....
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:46 BST (UK) »
Alicat,

Just a minute,all does not add up correctly. Firstly the premises are numbered 26 and not 25 as I gave in my previous. Thomas Birmingham (aplumber ) occupied No.26 from 1887-C1911. In Thoms  1911 No. 25 is stated to be a victuallers shop.
Further  the title headboard over the shop in your photo states (if I read it accurately under my magnifying loupe)
Patrick Donnelly  Florist   26.   I looked at the goods displayed outside the shop  and they appear to be  flowers and plants. What is in the baskets to the right and behind the boy I cannot make out  I reckon that the photo dates from about C.1900 by the dress of the adults but there  is no Pdonnelly as a florist in Slaters 1894 or Thoms 1911. and further my source work on the Irish Times shows nothing more than previously stated. In addition I have no record of Cuffe Street being renumbered then.
I think you should check the source of the photo and question relatives as to why they believe C.St.isit   Quaxer

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Alicat

Message No.2 dont give up on Cuffe Street.  Slaters for 1894  gives James Bermingham  (Greengrocer) as occupant of No.26.  The answer lies somewhere in this fog.

Regards   Quaxer