Author Topic: Moore of Drumachose  (Read 33441 times)

Offline Tim Moore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
Good morning , Albert Moore that run the Hotel/Postoffice in the main street in Garvagh back in the early 1900s would have been my Great Grandfather.
I have really enjoyed reading the info on this chat and has blown me away ,I would like to find out more about my family tree.
My late father Alfred McKeown Moore had told us that his granda run the hotel/ post office in Garvagh and had one of the first cars in the local area , but he had pasted away before he was ever born.
My Granda Albert Moore 1913 - 1987 , lived in Shuttle hill , Coleraine , He drove a lorry for Ulster Transport in Garvagh.
His mother was Martha , but i alway remember my dad saying the name Maxwell ?

If anyone can assist me with more info , i would really appreciate it. Thanks Tim Moore

Offline Tim Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 10 June 21 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the info on Albert Moore which matches what I have. Also read somewhere he may have owned a hotel? I would be interested in any further info if you have it as there maybe a descendant out there and that person may have info on Anne Jane Moore, Albert's mother and my G G grandmother. Thanks for looking for the info. Hopefully someone else will have some clues on the other Moore's.
If i can get any info , i would really appreciate it . Albert Moore that ran a Hotel / post office in the main street in Garvagh would have been my Great Grandfather.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 12 June 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
If i can get any info , i would really appreciate it . Albert Moore that ran a Hotel / post office in the main street in Garvagh would have been my Great Grandfather.
What sort of information are you looking for?
P.S. the Imperial Hotel in Garvagh has been undergoing renovation for the last few years.

See also- https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765121.36
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 14 June 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, Tim, re the quote you have from dunvr in 2009 about his Albert Moore with mother Anne Jane Moore.

Dunvr and I did some research a couple of years ago about our Moores from Carrowreagh and Carrowclare near Limavady. Our lines had a common ancestor back a few generations.  I have earlier posts on this Drumachose trail.

Limavady is only about 13 miles from Garvagh.

Anne Jane Moore was born about 1835 to Samuel Moore 1798-1860. We have details of his Will. About 1852-57 Anne Jane Moore married a John Moore of Carrowclare. They had 3 children Sarah 1858, Albert 1860, Samuel 1863. Then John died and Anne Jane married a John Norris in 1865. In 1880 they went to Australia and only Sarah and Samuel went with them. Albert stayed behind and dunvr thought he may have opened a hotel - there was contact with the family in Australia and Anne Jane died in Victoria in 1920.

So could this Albert born in 1860 or a son Albert (I don't have information on that) be your great grandfather. I don't know what records you can find about your great grandfather re when and where he was born - if of Albert 1860 he could have been born about 1880-1890. You say your Granda was born 1913. The years could work.

In our research Albert wasn't a common name.

Marilyn Long.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 14 June 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
It seems a photo postcard came up for sale at some point, of a motor in front of the Albert Moore Hotel, c1900s:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qo1/

Tim Moore, where was your Albert Moore born in 1913? Not seeing a birth for him in Irish Civil Registration index.

Ah, birth was at Garvagh, 09 February 1914. Mother's maiden name Maxwell, father's occupation Car Driver:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/bac7340275227

His parents married in Belfast on 6th February 1913. Albert, aged 24, gave a Belfast address at time, and named his father as a William John Moore, a Carpenter, Martha Maxwell also gave a Belfast address:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/97c5ca1723298

Possibly same Albert lodging with a McMichael family in Garvagh at 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Garvagh/Mettican_Glebe/590965/

with occupation Coachman, as was the Albert of the marriage.

The Albert of the marriage gave address as Halliday's Road. In 1911, there was a Moore family in same Road, with head William Moore, but he was listed as a French Polisher:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn/Halliday_s_Road/140780/ and no-one named Albert in their household at 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Sheridan_Street/937205/

The Albert, with a wife Martha, of the hotel, was aged 50 in 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Garvagh/Main_Street/591117/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Tim Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 14 June 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
Cheers guys , I only wish I had a full conversation with my late father. He defiantly said his Grandfather run a post office/ Hotel in Garvagh and drove a car and he never got the chance to meet him.  The maiden name doesn't correspond with Martha (Maxwell) .
Kind of stuck now on which direction to go now?  Thanks for your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 14 June 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
As I posted several years ago, Albert Moore ran the Imperial Hotel in Garvagh, also had a car business (transporting people between Garvagh, the station and other places) and was married to Martha Linton. The post office in Garvagh was a separate establishment.

Scotmum has posted details of the family of Albert Moore born 1914 in Garvagh.

Perhaps you are getting the two families confused? It's not uncommon for family stories to get a bit muddled over time.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Perhaps go in the direction of my reply #76, and work through what I have posted.

As aghadowey has indicated, it was/is not uncommon was for stories to 'crossover' between families or even just others of same surname.

Importantly, for you, as you recall mention of Martha being a Maxwell, then the marriage in Belfast and birth in 1914, not 1913, in Garvagh, fit well for your Moore line. I would say occupation of Coachman then Car Driver is also a good fit.

The only poor fit, is that the Albert of the marriage, named his father as William John, when your story expected it to be another Albert. And given the ages of the Albert and Martha at the hotel in 1911, it is highly unlikely they would have had another child in 1913/14 (and no indication in records that they did).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Tim Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks , I will now follow that line now. Would you have any tips for trying locate the grave of Albert Moore and Martha (Maxwell)Moore that would have been born 1889 and 1887 .
Once again , thanks for all the info