Author Topic: Coolgreany Evictions  (Read 36943 times)

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coolgreany Evictions
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 November 12 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane

Here are the references for the Ford Estate records held in Northern Ireland.

You might want to check to see what they have and if there are more references before you travel to N Ireland.

MIC599 - Microfilm - Contains volume of Maps of the Coolgreany Estate with Maps of Individual Townlands and names of the tenants. Included in the papers are Knockgreany, Coolgreany and Ballyfad.

D566 - Forde Papers - Contains rentals, rent books, leases relating to the Wexford estate.  Included are details of Knockgreany, Ballyfad and Coolgreany.

Forde papers  D240
T2749
Forde, Lady Harriet, papers  D2577
Forde, Mathew, documents  T155
T219
T637
T3373
Forde and Milliken papers  D2410
Forde and Stitt documents T1436
Forfeited Estates' Trustees papers T3365

Apparently when Forde was leaving he put all these papers in the field to be burnt.  However, a local man took them and put them on the transport with all the other removal items for Forde and off they went to Northern Ireland !

Offline DRJR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 29 November 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, John, for the reference to Jim Rees's 'Split Personalities'. I bought it last week and you're right about the level of information in the chapter dealing with the evictions. His inclusion of Henry Hurlberg's account is, as far as I know, new to this subjuect, uncovered after 130 years. Good stuff.

Jack

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi John and Jack

Can you recommend "Split Personalities", in particular chapter 7, for more details on the families involved in the evictions or is the chapter on the general events?
Thanks
Kath

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 09 December 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath.

I have'nt read the book completely but reading over chapter seven tonight while it does mention some of the families it would more or less cover the event in general with alot of mention of the Clergy.For someone interested in the event the book would probably be a worthwhile purchase as there seems to be more references throughout the book. You should find it online if you are not local.

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 December 12 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John.

It does sound as though this is worth purchasing. I will see if I can purchase on line as I live in the UK

Offline DRJR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 December 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,
I agree with John. Jim Rees's account of the evictions is more from a general point of view rather than from a family history one, although most of the families are named. So, yeah, I would say it is the event and the general background of what was going on in the area at that time.
Jack

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 10 December 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack

Thank you.  I am trying to find out some of the family members who were evicted and not mentioned in Peggy Doyle's book.
I have a little puzzle to solve -
I have two photos of the Green/e family of 1 Knockgreany and 2 Knockgreany.  Michael of 1 Knockgreany and his wife were evicted in 1887 and this is all documented.
 However, the group photo of 2 Knockgreany, said to be taken at the evictions, would seem to be my gt grandfather Daniel Green, who married Mary Darcy,  Daniel’s mother Mary Green, previously Byrne, nee Molloy and a few other members of the family.  Oddly this Green family are not mentioned in the evictions, in fact Myles Darcy, sister to Mary, now had the tenancy on 2 Knockgreany at the time of the evictions.  Could Daniel and Mary have been living with Myles, or could this photo have been taken long before the evictions!
The people in the group photo are very well dressed and look as though they are off on a day out
If anyone comes across any detail that might shed some light on the Green group photo of 2 Knockgreany and when it might have been taken it would be much appreciated.
Patrick Green of Ballyfad, who was also evicted, is Daniel’s brother.
Thank you in anticipation
Kath

Offline DRJR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 10 December 12 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath
I have to hold my hand up and say I wouldn't have a clue about the individual families. I just know about the event from what I read in Peggy Doyle and Jim Rees's books. I'm not from the area so am at a loss about the families. Sorry.

Jack

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 10 December 12 15:02 GMT (UK) »
No problem Jack.

Someone might see my post one day and send me all the names !!!  - dream on Kath!