Author Topic: Census Look-up Please. Phillips, Milwaukee, Wisconsin  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Look-up Please. Phillips, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
« on: Thursday 10 September 09 22:09 BST (UK) »

I wonder if some kind soul would look on the USA Censuses for me for this family,

Its for my Great Aunt, Sarah Ann Phillips, (née Rees) born Morriston, Swansea, Wales in 1863 and her sons David, (born Morriston, 1890)  and William George Phillips, (born Morriston 1892).

They are on a Passenger List going from Liverpool, UK - arriving in New York 5 May 1907. - they were going to stay with her sister Lizzie, (Elizabeth) Rees, (born Morriston 1873) at 66 South Fullerton Ave New Jersey.

On the USA 1910 Census Sarah is 45yrs and living with David and William Phillips at Clinton Street Milwaukee Ward 5 Milwaukee, Wisconsin - it says she is a Widow. David and William are single. David is a Labourer in a paint works and William is a messenger on the railroad.

Can anyone see them on any of the later USA Censuses please? (I only have access to the UK Census Collections).

Cheers, Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up Please. Phillips, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Romilly, I`ve looked at both the 1920 and 1930 census records and could not find your family. I also tried William Phillips to see if they were there but no luck. I also , just to cover all options, the Social Security Death Index again without luck. Are you sure they did not return to England?

Peggy
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 09 03:10 BST (UK) »
I think I see them:
1920-Milwaukee Ward 5-Walker Street.
Sarah age 49,Evan age 29,David 27,William G. (railway clerk) 25 along with one boarder. Immigrated 1905.
 The image is horrible so I can't tell the boys' occupations.

Maureen

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 09 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy & MaureenR,

Thank you both so much for looking for me.

What a shame that the image is spoilt:-(

I'm pleased to see that Sarah Ann Phillips's eldest son, Evan Rees Phillips, (born Morriston, Wales 1888) is with her.

A kind person found Evan Rees Phillips and his brother John Phillips, (born Morriston 1895) on a boat called the 'Arabic', arriving in New York 18th Oct. 1910. Entry notes say that his mother Sarah is already in Milwaukee.

Is anyone able to see any of them on the 1930 Census?

Many Thanks for the help,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,
 I'll have another go at the 1930 today,but I'm not holding out much hope. On the whole, the US census transcriptions seem to be even worse than the UK ones.
 I see Evan died in Milwaukee on Dec.21,1972,so you'd think he'd show up in 1930!

Maureen

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 09 12:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Maureen,

Thank you so much for finding Evan Phillips's Death, - I have spent ages going through Wisconsin Cemeteries Sites this am, with no success...

How would I go about ordering a copy of that Death Cert? And can you see any Marriage Entry for him?

This is so exciting, because my late Uncle, (William Havelock Wilson 1894-1974) did tell me that some of his mother's family had gone to the USA, but I had no idea how to go about finding anything out!

Best Wishes, Romilly :)
Researching:

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 09 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,
 STILL no luck with th 1930. >:( >:( Sorry.
 As far as I can tell,death certs can be ordered from:
http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/death.htm

Cert#039509 Phillips Evan R       Deathdate 21 Dec 72  County:MILW City:GLEN(not sure if this is an abbreviation) Age:84

Never done Wisc. research before,so I'm as lost as you are! Hopefully someone native will pop up on the thread with better advice. :)

Maureen

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help Maureen, - I really appreciate it.

(I wonder if the Glen bit is short for Glendale?)

Best Wishes, Romilly :)
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 22:19 BST (UK) »

I think it must be...

Romilly :)
Researching: