Author Topic: 1851 census index Bedfordshire  (Read 2725 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 census index Bedfordshire
« on: Wednesday 05 May 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help with an 1851 index look up please for Bedfordshire.

I have an Ann and George Green.

Living in Clifton in 1841 both down as 40.

In 1851 can't see them in same area of Clifton, but two children were living with relations on poor relief.

I need to see whether either or both were still alive to narrow down my search and try and find death cert.

Thanks for any help

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census look up Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 06 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane,

Sorry it's been so long since you posted and no reply  :(

Are you still looking for this family in 1851?

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census index Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I still haven't found them!!

They are my nemesis at the moment, think that the right word :)

Haven't located their deaths either, by cross checking ones found on the indexes with the family history online nothing seems to match with their ages.

I have had Clifton records checked and nothing.

So where did they go between 1841/51

Thanks for asking

Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Have a look on the free BMD site [Biggleswade District]
Diane,

There is a death for George GREEN in the June quarter of 1847 [ref 6 47]...

But three deaths for Ann GREENs:

Dec quarter 1841 [6 36]
June quarter 1843 [6 40]
March quarter 1848 [6 61]

But you do not want to order all these death certs cos they wont all belong to your research.

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I've been through 1851 using keyword Bedfordshire for both. Nothing. Same for Ann using Hertfordshire as I suspect that's where she may have been from. Still nothing.

Nothing obvious by way of burials.

I assume William Kitchener in 1851 was her brother as the 2 Greens were his nephew and niece. He was born in Hinxworth according to the census and there's a baptism on the IGI that fits. Trouble is there's no baptism for Ann, and nothing that matches in Beds either using parents John and Ann who were William's assumed parents.

In 1841 she had her daughter Rhoda Lewinton staying with her. By 1851 Rhoda was married and living in Lambeth. No sign of any Greens though.

Did the witnesses at either of Ann's weddings provide any clues?

What was George's occupation at the baptisms of the 4 children? (Don't tell me - ag lab!)

Were the births of the last two children registered?

Have you found John after 1841? I couldn't see him.

Is there anything in either Arlesey or Clifton parish chest which might expand on the parish relief?

Virtually all of Beds pre 1812 has been extracted onto the IGI, and there's only one George Green baptism that looks remotely possible - 1802 in Meppershall. I can't see him in 1851 nor is there an obvious burial.

More questions than answers I'm afraid.

David

PS Re Cathy's post:
The Jun 1847 George was age 30 at Biggleswade. The three Anns were aged 80 at Southill; 16 at Campton, and 85 at Old Warden.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David for ruling them out...nothing worse than going for certs that aint yours I would think.

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for looking for me.

I believe Georges parents were John and Sarah Green.

The Meppershall connection is the one I'm going with. Family name of Warner seems to be the key.

Georges son William is my connection he had a son called Warner.

Georges parents I believe were John and Sarah Green. Sarahs father was William Green of Clifton, that may be the connection of them going there.

Georges father John had  brothers, Warner, William who inherited their fathers mill and house in Shefford in 1810.

John was left £50!

In 1851 Samuel and Sarah Green are living with a Kitchiner relation in receipt of Parish relief.

Unfortunately the records do appear to be destroyed so no leads there.

My William is 16 in Gamlingay Cambs (1851), by 1859 he is marrying for the first time in London. I then have him on every census.

I believe (from memory) John Green 1861 is a baker in Highgate london. Many of the Green family  including Samuel Green's children who I think may be Georges cousin?? Seem to have ended up in London.

So whatever happened to Geroge and Ann.

My mystery for now!!

ps Ann I beleive was born in Ampthill.

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 06 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Diane

There is a book called 'Samuel Whitbread's notebooks' [costs £6 but I dont have my copy anymore] which has a lot of info about the poor in that part of the County in the early 1810s - but it appears that the GREENs were not too poor then? 

Younger sons did lose out a bit it seems...especially younger sons of younger sons.  Although £50 wasnt to be sniffed at in 1810!

Do you have all the Wills etc?  But they wont help you?  You need Poor Relief [possibly some sort of hospitalisation or whatever existed in those days]...Biggleswade Union?  Were they in the Biggleswade Workhouse 1851?

Keep an eye on the http://blars.adlibsoft.com/beginner/indnms.html

The KITCHENERs were fairly poor from what I have come across [but so was most of Bedfordshire it seems]

Another thought I had was that William GREEN may have been given an apprentiship via the Union [Poor Law Workhouse].  There may be a record for that but there is no reason it would mention parents?

archive@bedscc.gov.uk

cathy

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thanks for your reply.

I think John was the eldest son, which makes it strange he was left £50.

He does appear to have married his cousin?? Maybe thats why??

It's a strange old family. :)

I will try the workhouse.

Williams uncles were millers for a while. Warner had a bakers according to directory entries.

I will have to get all the info out and do a timeline.

On the 1861 census in london William was described as a master baker.

As you say that may be worth looking into.

There does seem a conflict in that part of the family were definately pretty well off and George and Ann disappear leaving 2 children on poor relief.

Sometimes asks more questions than it answers!