Author Topic: CLEMENT(S) Family Parkham North Devon  (Read 2167 times)

Offline edwinblackmore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLEMENT(S) Family Parkham North Devon
« on: Friday 11 September 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my ancestors from the Bideford area of North Devon viz.
JOHN CLEMENT(S) who married ANN BROWNSCOMBE in Parkham in 1846.

A daughter LUCY CLEMENT(S) (my g g grandfather) married in S Wales in the 1880s.
whilst John Clement(s)' father ANTONY CLEMENT was found murdered in his cottage in East Goldsworthy when Lucy was a young girl.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edwin Blackmore

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CLEMENT(S) FAMILY PARKHAM NORTH DEVON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Edwin,

Genuki Devon has a page with some baptisms/marriages/burials from Parkham - if you scroll down to the link (baptisms 1813-1843), you'll find a John Parkham's baptism - father Antony and mother Mary - there are quite a lot of Clement baptisms/marriages.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Parkham/

Have you found the family on any of the censuses?

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline HotRod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLEMENT(S) Family Parkham North Devon
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Edwin,
We may be related through Lucy Clements (1861 Parkham census- born Southmolton Devon 1857).  She is probably the mother of my grandfather.
1880 the year Walter Blackmore married her in south Wales - can you let me know is this your family's story handed down, or verified ?
Did she live her life out in the Runcorn area, do you know the place and year of her death, and are her children still in the Merseyside area?
regards

Offline edwinblackmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear HotRod,

My G G Grandfather Walter Edwin Blackmore b Bridgwater 1886 married Lucy Clements b 1857 Parkham.  They married in Swansea in 1884, a witness was Lucy`s sister  Mary Ann Adams aka Margaret/Mary Annie  b Parkham 1851. She married Francis Wm Adams b Bridgwater in Swansea in 1881.

Walter Blackmore and Lucy had three children

Walter Edwin  b 1886 Landore Swansea, Thomas John b 1888 Landore Swansea, and Lucy Ann b 1891 Ellesmere Port. 

Lucy Blackmore died July 1901 in Runcorn. and the family then moved back to Walters` home in Bridgwater and he died in Bristol Infirmary in 1911.

Lucy Clements children`s descendants as far as I know have now have no link with the Runcorn area. Walter b 1866 (my line) live(d) in South Wales.  Thomas b 1881 live(d) in Somerset whilst Lucy Ann b 1891 married and emigrated and live(d) in  W. Australia.

However, Mary Annie Adams  (nee Clements)  descendants still live in the Cwmafan, Port Talbot area in South Wales. This may be worth you following up.

Regards,

E. Blackmore

Offline HotRod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Edwin,
Many thanks for the further information; you and your Rootschat correspondents, and others on the net, have been instrumental in throwing much light on our ancestors.

On the accuracy of dates :-
Ellesmere Port, Runcorn Census 1901 states Walter Blackmore born 1863 not 1866 nor 1886 ???.
The accuracy of Lucy’s date of birth :–
   Parkham census 1861 gives 1857
   Runcorn census 1901 gives 1854
Life was tough in those days and numeracy / spelling skills were patchy.

Not sure if you’ve read a history of Parkham :- https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Parkham/Portrait-new2
but this very lengthy piece highlights self sufficiency, a lack of roads, medical facilities, shops, and the fact that most common folk worked on the land and walked everywhere for hours on end. Travelling to South Wales and elsewhere from Devon had to be by sea.  We take much for granted and a right these days.

Interesting that Mary Clements and Francis Wm Adams  were in Landore, Swansea, in 1881 when they married. 
Interesting too that Lucy’s brother William (b Parkham 1853) marries in Skewen in 1873 Christiana Rees (b, 1854 Skewen).  It turns out that they could not have any children; instead they adopted and brought up Lucy’s first child.  One of my current relatives has seen a copy of the birth certificate dated 1883 issued in Landore, Swansea for Lucy’s first child of four not three, William John Clements. No father registered so William John Clements retained Lucy’s then surname.

Mystery still surrounds the lack of any father’s name on the certificate – the story goes that Lucy was packed off to South Wales in 1882/3 from Parkham, N Devon, possibly to live with Frances W and Mary Adams(ne Clements) in Landore – oh the shame of it.

I wonder what happened to Lucy causing her to die so young (43), and to Walter also, who died in 1911 aged 47 ?

In your penultimate para’ where you state Walter moved to S Wales – did you mean Edwin; earlier you stated Walter as moving to Bridgewater ?

Lucy’s first child William John was adopted by the above  William and Christiana Clements; they stayed anchored in the Skewen / Neath area of Glamorgan till WJ’s death in 1967.  Together with his wife Alice they raised two girls and seven boys -  all the boys grew up to see active service in all the theatres of war in WW2, and miraculously they all came home, albeit some much the worse for the experience.

After the war WJC’s eldest son married and, inter alia, worked for Costain John Brown and moved to Australia whilst managing the build of the oil refinery in Freemantle – it would be too much of a conicidence if he had met Lucy junior whilst there ?

fascinating stuff
Hotrod

Offline edwinblackmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hotrod,

In reply to your query Lucy Blackmore nee Clements died 20.7.1901 in Shaw St. Runcorn from Cerebo Spinal Meningitis 8 days whilst Walter Edwin Blackmore died 11.5.1911 in Bristol Royal Infirmary from Pyonephrosis Uretural Stricture following a horse and cart accident.  He was apparently an epilectic.

Interestingly, your story of William Clement b Parkham 1853 who married Christina Rees in 1873 and adopting Lucy Clements illigitimate child in 1882-1883 has a ring of truth about it.  William Clement d Neath 1903 whist Christina Died in Neath in 1933. Their only child - William John Clements.

From the free BMD Indices  I found a  William John Clement b Dec 1884 Neath, and a William John Clement b July 1879 Swansea.  Also, a Wm John Clements B July 1883 Swansea and a Wm John Clements b Totnes in 1881.  All would be, I suggest possible candidates for Lucy Clements base born child. 

I would be interested to hear your family story.

Regards,

E. Blackmore