Author Topic: Census &/or register look-up  (Read 9396 times)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census &/or register look-up
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
That confirms what Ev posted - it has to be the Thomas who was in the post from Monica - aged 8 in 1901 and the one that I think is the Argyll and Sutherland Thomas - yes?

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 September 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Regarding Thomas born in Newbridge c. 1893 with parents Thomas and Jane. Have a look on Ancestry trees, there is a line for his parents (there are quite a number of Swarbrick trees, there may be other entries).

The Thomas and Jane showing in Kirkliston in 1891. Jane is showing with maiden name Ritchie. His parents are showing as Thomas Swarbrick and Janet Forest. There is this birth showing on IGI which would fit:

THOMAS HENRY SWARBRICK  Birth:11 FEB 1863 Peebles, Peebles
Parents: THOMAS SWARBRICK and JANET FORREST

This is the only birth showing to these parents on IGI. But that is likely because there is a death showing for his father in 1865. Thomas b. 1837 is showing as born in Ireland like James so maybe a connection.  There is quite a bit of detail including this Thomas' parents.

Have a look on Ancestry. With your background on the families hopefully you can make the links!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 September 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Yep, Thomas is showing as sibling to James b. 1837, Ann b. 1834 and John b. 1824. Parents Henry and Catherine (McCann).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Regarding Henry that you have:

Swarbrick Henry, R. Highlanders, Private, 2163
                           Royal Engineers, Sapper, 137558
                                                          To 2 Reserves, 14th January 1919
Theatre of war: France
Date of entry therein: 3rd May 1915

There are actually three possible Henrys showing on the 1901 census  ::)...born between 1888 to 1892:

1. Henry, b. 1888, son of Henry and Grace (Pennel) Swarbrick showing as living in Stevenson, Ayrshire in 1901 - born Hamilton
2. Henry, b. 1892, son of William and Mary (Kirk) Swarbrick, born and living in Hamilton and...
3. Henry, b. 1890, showing as son of Jane and born in Tennessee, US (at least 4 of the children born there). Family are living Hamilton!

These boys you would think are all extended family.

Going by entries on family trees again on Ancestry, I think we can take out possibly No.2, Henry son of William and Mary. He looks to have have moved to the US in 1904 (given his age, 12, I would imagine the whole family may have migrated?), dieing there in 1981 (Illinois). There is quite detailed info for him on the US (probably from census data).

Back to the army records for Henry. I don't supposed there was a description for next of kin: Mrs Jeanie Swarbrick Randolph Street, Cowdenbeath Fifeshire - mother or wife? The fact that in 1901 his mother shows as Jane may help. Maybe a search for deaths for a Jane/jean in Fife would give some indication of age. Don't know at this stage who father was (given he doesn't show in 1901) or Jane's maiden name.

Monica  :)

Added: Mother Mary, Henry and siblings arrived in the US on Jun 26, 1904 on the 'Furnessia' from departure port of Glasgow. They were joining father William who was already there.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 September 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Regarding Henry No.2, from the above list, showing as son of Jane and born in Tennessee, US. I think from tree entries, that father was John Swarbrick (no details on him) and Jane Ferguson. Jane shows as born 1862 in Kilsyth, Stirlingshire which matches what is down on her 1901 census entry. John and Jane are showing as having married in June 1885 in Maryhill, Lanarkshire, a couple of children in Scotland before they headed off to the US it would seem from the details on the family's 1901 entry back in Scotland.

Monica

Added: Got the details now on John, father to Henry born in the US. He was born in East Kilbride in 1862. His parents show as John (son of Henry and Catherine) and Jane Hogg  :)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 September 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Monica,

that is wonderful - thank you. I shall spend some time putting together what you have given me with what I already know. I won't be able to do much more until early next week as I am rather busy this weekend.

Thank you again,

regards

jds1949

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 September 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
This can all wait, Jds  :) Enjoy the weekend!

Monica

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica and Alistair,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but life sometimes gets in the way of hobbies.

From what you have kindly found for me and what I had already I think that what we have now is as follows:

Thomas Swarbrick born in 1879 in Ratho, the son of James and Ann was the Thomas Swarbrick who enlisted briefly in the 8th Black Watch and then served in the Royal Scots and Labour Corps.

Thomas Swarbrick born Newbridge in 1893 the son of Thomas Henry and Jane [Ritchie] Swarbrick was the man who served in 2nd Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and was KIA 21st January 1917. The only problem with that is the age [38] supplied by Alistair, which clearly doesn’t tally. Is there any chance that the age is wrong?

Henry Swarbrick born 1891 in Hamilton the son of William and Mary [Kirk] Swarbrick was almost certainly the man who served in the Royal Highlanders and then as a sapper in the 179th Tunnelling Company. He was a miner before the war so that fits well.

The other Henry Swarbrick, born in 1888 in Hamilton, the son of Henry and Grace [Pennel] Swarbrick is possibly this man who enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders
Medal Index Card:
Swarbrick Henry, Gordon Highlanders, Private [Corporal], S/10443

Theatre of war: France
Date of entry therein: 25th August 1915
Class Z 26th February 1919

I shall, at some point, check out the family posted on Ancestry as advised by Monica.

Thanks again to both of you,

jds1949

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jds

Real life sometimes does take over doesn't it!

The only additional note I would make is regarding the possible Henrys. Henry, son of William and Mary, b. 5 Aug 1891 in Hamilton has a US WWW1 Draft Card showing him as working as a miner in Montgomerry, Illinois. He was however claiming exemption from draft due to Mental Disability. The Reg Card is dated 5th June (doesn't show year that I can see) and his age as 25 so draft year 1915 just before birth day in August perhpas. He also shows as single.

So, I would have a question mark as to whether the Henry that served in the Royal Highlands was indeed the son of William and Mary or the other Henry (no.3 on my list) who was born in the US but back in Hamilton for the 1901 census with mother Jean (father possible John). The Jeannie Swarbrick who is given as next of kin could well be the mother who shows in the 1901 census perhaps.

Something to work through as you say  :)

Monica