Author Topic: Scotland to Australia ? Samuel Smith Wells  (Read 4321 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Scotland to Australia ? Samuel Smith Wells
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 09:38 BST (UK) »
Samuel Smith Wells born C1850, Ecchelfechan,Middliebie,Dumfries. Father John Smith Wells and Mother Isabella Chalmers. Samuel was a Civil Engineeer and made his way out to Australia at which time he married in January 18th 1881 at Tamworth, New South Wales to Emmaline Little. Can anyone tell me when and how Samuel came to Australia?  Thank You
Jill
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland to Australia ? Samuel Smith Wells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
As Samuel Wells married in Tamworth (NSW), one would presume(?) he sailed into Sydney. This is the passenger search option for Sydney arrivals;

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

I had a quick look, but there were a number of results. Perhaps you could have a look, and narrow down the options?

Also, if you obtained his Death Certificate, this will not only tell you when he died and buried, but how long he was in Australia, and whether he may have also lived (arrived?) in another State first. But as you should be aware, the information supplied in a Death Certificate is only good as the informant's knowledge of the deceased.

If you are not sure how to find his Death Cert details, I can help you there too.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
on ancestry: samuel wells b ecclefechan went to australia on 3 feb 1885 on the gulf of venice along with wife margaret 28, sarah 10, samuel 6, margaret 3 and mary 1 it says he had relatives ( father ? ? )
does this sound like your man?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 01:38 BST (UK) »
From all accounts this looks promising, the name fits and the childrens names are all family names. I am having trouble placing the arrival date as Samuel Smith Wells had already married by 1881 in Tamworth. This Samuel is arriving 1885.
As I dont have access to Ancestory are there any more details mentioned than you have already mentioned which might help me clarify the family?
Thank You for all your time and details regarding my inquiry.
Jill
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again, found another family on ancestry that fits the ones I gave you but samuel was born in ireland I have also had another look at the passenger list and i think it looks like he was born in Ireland, the writing is not very good but found your man on the 1851 census for scotland in middlebie, in 1861 they were in carlisle, cumberland: isabella railway inspectors wife 38, samuel 10, john 8, mary 5, rachel 4 and william 2

There is one tree on ancestry with a lot of members of the wells family
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young