Author Topic: The O'BRIEN and HAYES Families of Ruan Parish  (Read 13908 times)

Offline StephanieK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The O'BRIEN and HAYES Families of Ruan Parish
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for ancestors and descendants of John O'BRIEN and Bridget HAYES of Bealnalicka.  They had children (that I know of):

Terence b. 1810 in Bealnalicka d. 1869 in Sandhurst, Australia (married Bridget in Bealnalicka)
Margaret b. 1814 in Bealnalicka d. 1893 in Portland, Australia (married John Edwards in Corofin)
Daniel James b. 1821 in Bealnalicka d. 1886 Kangaroo Flats, Australia (never married)
Mary b. 1824 in Bealnalicka d. 1899 in Kangaroo Flats, Australia (never married)
Patrick John b. 1831 in Bealnalicka d. 1884 in Kangaroo Flats, Australia (never married)
Bridget Ann b. 1835 in Bealnalicka d. 1877 in Sandhurst, Australia (married Nicholas Francis Breen)

This entire family just packed up and left Ireland in the early 1850s (after the famine).  Terence (who I descend from) purchased the Hibernian Hotel at 365 High-street, Golden Square in Australia in 1858 and it stayed in the family for almost a century.

London, England: Bramwell, Plummer, Cooper, Coventry, McKnight, Fisher
Drumcliff, Cavan, Ireland: Flannery, Purcell, Meskell
Kilmore, Cavan, Ireland: Sheridan, Lynch
Bealnalicka, Clare, Ireland: O'Brien, Ryan
Athy, Kildare, Ireland: Roberts, Lockhart
Largs, Ayshire, Scotland: Grant, Stewart
Greenock, Renfewshire, Scotland: Hunter, Ross

Offline Stephen M

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The O'BRIEN and HAYES Families of Ruan Parish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie,

I too am descended from Terence O'Brien b 1810 Bealnalicka via his son Michael O'Brien. Michael lived at Bulla in Victoria, Aust and I grew up just near there. He had a family of ten children, his son Terence O'Brien was my great grandfather. I visited the cemetery at White Hills, Bendigo a couple of months ago and saw the O'Brien, Meagher and Flannery graves (took plenty of pictures) after seeing another post of yours on the internet.

Best regards,   Stephen

Offline StephanieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

This is wonderful.  I just recently found out that Michael was Terence's son.  I have been trying to find information on Michael's line. I didn't know that Terence (s/o Michael) married. I would love to hear more from you. I live in the States, but will be in Australia this coming winter. 

Stephanie
London, England: Bramwell, Plummer, Cooper, Coventry, McKnight, Fisher
Drumcliff, Cavan, Ireland: Flannery, Purcell, Meskell
Kilmore, Cavan, Ireland: Sheridan, Lynch
Bealnalicka, Clare, Ireland: O'Brien, Ryan
Athy, Kildare, Ireland: Roberts, Lockhart
Largs, Ayshire, Scotland: Grant, Stewart
Greenock, Renfewshire, Scotland: Hunter, Ross

Offline Stephen M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie,

Michael O'Brien was born about 1841 to 1843 (differs when looking at ages given on his marriage cert and death cert) in Ireland to Terence O'Brien and Bridget Ryan. He married Mary Daley in 1866 and they had ten children (Catherine, Terence, Bedelia, Mary, Margaret, Michael, Patrick, Florence, Thomas and Ellen) before they both died quite young, Mary in 1887 and Michael in 1888. I am not sure when he arrived in Australia or who he came over with. His death cert says he was in the colony for 36yrs and that was in 1888 so he must have arrived about 1852. His father Terence was supposedly in the colony for just eight years when he died at Sandhurst in 1869 so maybe he came with an aunt or uncle???

Regards,   Stephen

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
For what its worth;
O'BRIEN DANIEL JOSEPH. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit: 3rd Battalion. Attached to 2nd Battalion. Age at death: 33. Date of Death: 10-November-1917. Killed in action. Supplementary information: Son of Mrs. Margaret O'Brien, of Clare Abbey House, Clare Castle, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 143 to 144. Memorial: Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium.

O'BRIEN, The Hon. DESMOND D. Rank: Flight Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Air Service. Age at death: 19. Date of Death: 16-February-1915. Supplementary information: Son of the late Edward Donough O'Brien, 14th Baron Inchiquin, of Dromoland Castle, Co. Clare, Ireland (where he was born), and Lady Inchiquin. Educated at Charterhouse College. Grave or Memorial Reference: 12. Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial In England.

O’BRIEN, GEORGE.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
Unit;1st  Battalion. Date of Death:25-April-1915.  Service No:6642. 
Born in Drumcliffe, County Clare. Enlisted in Ennis while living in Castleconnell, County Limerick.  Died of wounds in Gallipoli. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 185 to 190. Memorial: Helles Memorial in Turkey.

O’BRIEN, JOHN.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
 Unit;1st Battalion. Date of Death:15-June-1915.  Service No:9667. 
Born in Doonbeg, County Clare. Enlisted in Kilrush, County Clare while living in Doonbeg.  Died in Gallipoli. Grave or Memorial Reference:XI.E.16. Cemetery: Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery, Gallipoli.

O'BRIEN MARTIN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit: 2nd Battalion. Age at death: 18. Date of Death: 09-May-1915. Service Number: 6015. Born in Kilkee, County Clare. Enlisted in Kilrush, County Clare while living in Kilkee, County Clare. Killed in Action. Supplementary information: Son of Michael and Mary O'Brien, of Ball Alley Lane, Kilkee, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: VI. J. 20. Cemetery: Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy in France.

O’BRIEN, MARTIN.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.   
Unit;1st Battalion. Date of Death:28-June-1915.  Service No:6002. 
Born in St Michael’s, Limerick. Enlisted in Ennis, County Clare while living in Kildysart, County Clare.  Killed in Action in Gallipoli. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 185 to 190. Memorial: Helles Memorial in Turkey.

O’BRIEN, MICHAEL.  Rank: Gunner.  Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. Date of Death:04-September-1914. Age at Death,35.
Service No:3641.  Born in Ennis, County Clare. Enlisted in Ennis.Died at home.
Grave or Memorial Reference:South part of old ground. Cemetery: Ennis (Drumcliffe) Cemetery, County Clare.
O'BRIEN, MICHAEL JOSEPH. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Unit: 1st/8th Battalion. Date of Death: 18-July-1917. Service Number: 307325 (CWGC) 237235(SDGW). Born in Kilkee, County Clare. Enlisted in Liverpool while living in Liverpool. Died of wounds. Supplementary information: Son of Frank and Mary O'Brien, of 330, Knight St., Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A. Born Caherfinick, Co. Clare, Ireland. Grave or Memorial Reference: XVI. D. 10A. Cemetery: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery in Belgium.

O’BRIEN, PATRICK.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit;6th Battalion. Date of Death:21-March-1918.  Service No:18132.  Formerly he was with the Royal Sussex Regiment where his number was 5424. Born in Killaloe, County Clare.  Enlisted in Chelsea while living in Chelsea.  Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. D. 5. Cemetery: Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery in France.

O’BRIEN, PETER.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit;2nd Battalion. Date of Death:27-November-1917.  Service No:10048. 
Born in Inch, County Clare. Enlisted in Ballinasloe, County Galway while living in Ennis, County Clare. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 2 and 3. Memorial: Cambrai Memorial, Louveral, Nord in France.

O'BRIEN, THOMAS. Rank: Leading Seaman. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: S.V. "Mary Fanny." Age at death: 39. Date of Death: 15-September-1918. Service Number: 3720C. Supplementary information: Son of Thomas and Mary O'Brien, of Killard, Doonbeg; husband of Bridget O'Brien, of Killard, Doonbeg, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: 29. Memorial:  Memorial: Plymouth Naval Memorial, UK.

O’BRIEN, THOMAS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
Unit; 9th Battalion. Date of Death: 08-November-1915. Service No: 13264. Born in Kilmurrybricam, Co Clare. Enlisted in Tonypandy while living in Shandrum. Killed in Action. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Wexford Soldier Killed; It has been officially announced that Private Thomas O’Brien, of the Welsh Fusiliers, a brother of Mr James O’Brien, merchant, South Main Street, Wexford, has been killed in action in France. He resided in Wales for some years and joined the colours after the outbreak of war. Much sympathy is felt with his relatives. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 50 to 52. Memorial: Loos Memorial in France. 

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
HAYES, DENIS ALPHONSUS.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit;7th Battalion. Date of Death:09-July-1916. Age at Death,29. Service No:3502.  Born in Parteen, County Clare.    Enlisted in Camberley, London while living in Kilmallock, County Limerick. Died of wounds. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Mary Hayes, of Bulgaden, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick. Professor in St. Kieran's College, Kilkenny. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. C. 33. Cemetery: Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France.

HAYES, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: 1st Battalion. Age at death: 27. Date of Death: 07-July-1917. Service Number: 5332. Born in Ennis, County Clare. Enlisted in Glasgow while living in Ballymaclure, County Clare. Died of wounds. Supplementary information: Son of Patrick and Margaret Hayes, of Ballymacloon, Quin, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. B. 10. Cemetery: Dozinghem Military Cemetery in Belgium. 

Offline heatherjune58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 March 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am also chasing a Breen line and I think your Nicholas Francis Breen is one of mine. My Breens come from Doonbeg and Cooraclare do you have any more information on him
regards heather

Offline Stephen M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

The Nicholas Francis Breen who married Bridget O'Brien in Victoria in 1863 died aged 38 years in 1874 in Victoria (Reg No. 9002). The death certificate says he was born in Wexford. Nicholas and Bridget had one son John Richard b. 1864 at Sandhurst, Vic and died 1898 at Kangaroo Flat, Vic. Looking at the unassisted shipping arrivals to Victoria shows that a Nicholas Breen (aged 21yrs) and Mary Breen (aged 24yrs) arrived in Victoria in Spetember 1858 on the 'Saldanha'. There is a death certificate for Mary Breen - died 1861 aged 27yrs in Victoria (Reg No. 6433). The certificate says she was born at Wexford. Her father was John Hoare and her mother was Mary Unknown. So maybe Nicholas was first married to this Mary Hoare and then he married Bridget O'Brien after Mary died. It seems however that both Nicholas and Mary were born at Wexford rather than Clare.

Hope this helps,    Stephen

Offline Sooheen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that you are still seeking details of the O'Brien and Hayes family in the parish of Ruan Co Clare Ireland. The family name continues in the townland of Bealnalicka.