Author Topic: Family Crest - Gilbert  (Read 13349 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Family Crest - Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
It must be appreciated that J P Brooke-Little had an axe to grind about the earlier versions of Burke's as his own family were shown not to be entitled to the coat of arms which was published in them.  Officials of the College of Arms are very critical of any publication not produced by themselves even in this case it seems when they become a contributor to later editions.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 April 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Just Googled theCollege of Arms, who are very willing to help your research, for a fee of course
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
It is an unfortunate fact that Burke's GA includes a lot of Arms that were being used by families that had not been "granted" by lawful authority.  It is, however, very useful in marrying up the blazon to the details contained in the Grantees of Arms series of books.

Temic has already quoted the BGA details for the Arms shown above.  The Grantees of Arms have the following regarding the 1595 grant;

GILBART, Thomas, of Sandwich, Kent, esq.  Nov. 1595, by Lee in Add.MS. 14,292, fo.18; Harl.MS.1359, fo.16b

Thus if Thomas Gilbert of Marden, Kent can show descent from Thomas Gilbart then the Arms are "lawful".

Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Wow, I didn't think my initial plea for help regarding the Gilbert coat of arms would generate so much interest.  Thank you all so much.  I will see if I can tie up Thomas Gilbert of Marden with Thomas Gilbert of Sandwich.

I do appreciate everyones efforts.  Many thanks.

Keep it coming!!!

Loupy (female)  ;D
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 June 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
Me again ............................. I have googled and found where Thomas Gilbert died 1597 is buried which confirms he was a Gentleman and had a coat of arms as it is on a brass plate in the church.  However it states that he was a "Searcher of Kent"  - does anyone know what this means?   

The brass plate also gives me the name of his wife and that they had 6 sons and three daughters giving me names of those living at Thomas Gilberts death - so I have a bit more to go on now.

Just thought I would keep you all up-to-date.

Kind regards

Loupy  ;)
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 June 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
A Searcher was a customs man.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 June 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
The attached image is from the 1619 Herald's visitation to Kent showing Thomas Gilbert.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 June 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
I am so grateful - many thanks.  One happy woman!

Loupy  ;)