Author Topic: Surname Interests, Blatch & Jary  (Read 11557 times)

Offline a young man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rank amatuer BUT keen!
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Interests, Blatch & Jary
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 July 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
Just a thought bur Jary seems to be spelt Jeary in some areas.  I have had problems in the past with the spelling.
Youngman, Jary, Bales, Berry from North Norfolk.
Chapple from South Molton, Aldershot, Woolwich.

Offline kynyaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 05 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am new here.

I have JARY'S from Ashill and would love to hear with anyone having the same.

Kynyaf
Nelson, Lockwood, Jary, Buscall, Darsley, Smith, Rushbrooke, Bone, Sivell, Saunders,King, Vincent, Oldfield, Bone, Mann, Binks and others - mainly in the Necton and Ashill areas.

Offline Nor_Fam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 July 05 16:27 BST (UK) »
"kynyaf",

It would be nice if your JARYs were related to mine, who are presumably from the Swaffham area as well. Unfortunately, my Robert JARY (son of Peter) seems to be a man without a past, and none of the other names in your search interest appear to be relevant to our line. However, there is always hope, so if you can match Robert JARY (b.12 May 1820) or Peter JARY, his father (b.unknown), I would be eternally grateful. Both are said to have been born in "England" but I can find nothing in Norfolk as yet, although Robert was married in Kings Lynn St. Margaret.

Regards, Nor_Fam
Searching back from: Robert Jary; Martha Whitby; Samuel Powley; Richard Parfrey (I)

Offline smarjoram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
I came across a William Jary in the 1851 census - b. South Walsham, aged 82, Justice of the peace employing 56 men with 810 acres. His wife was called Mary, b. Burlingham, aged 70.

I believe he lived in Burlingham House (now a home for the mentally handicapped) and that my ancestors - Joseph Marjoram and his son John - were his gardeners.

I can't find Joseph on the 1841 census though - or Burlingham for that matter. Any ideas?

I also found this mention of the Jary's  in a transcription of a divorce case - It's intriguing reading but I can't quite work out what happened...

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=16314

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 November 06 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a James JARY Pentney, b Q1 1839, Lynn, Norfolk, son of Peter Pentney (b abt 1808 East Dereham) and Mary Ann ?? (b abt 1812 Cley next the Sea).

Any ideas whether Mary Ann was a JARY?

If not, is there any known connection between JARY and PENTNEY?

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nor_Fam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 November 06 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

What an intriguing suggestion that JARY may be connected with PENTNEY.

I cannot find a Peter Pentney born 1808 in East Dereham, but I see one birth registered 1807 in Elmham North, Mitford/Laund. In Nfk Transcription Archive, he is listed as the son of Abel and Mary Pentney. In 1861 (Kings Lynn), he is married to a Mary Ann, who was b. c1812 in Cley Next The Sea, and they have children Sarah, John, George, Eliza & Emma, ranging in ages from 27 to 5 - No James. However, that same year, 22-yr-old James Jary Pentney is listed as Nephew to John Pentney, age 63. James gave his birthplace as Lynn and was then living in Brinton, Nfk.

I don't know Mary Ann's maiden name, unfortunately. And, I also know absolutely nothing about our Robert Jary, not even his real name. It has been suggested in family papers that his name was du Jareau, and he was French. Later I was told he was born in England and his father, whose name on his birth certificate was "Peter," was also born in England.

I will look into this further. Thank you for opening another door in this mystery.

Nor_Fam
Searching back from: Robert Jary; Martha Whitby; Samuel Powley; Richard Parfrey (I)

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 November 06 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

from the Norfolk marriage index

Peter Pentenny married Mary Ann Jary on 19 July 1832 at Wells

regards
yokel

Offline Nor_Fam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 November 06 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank You!

That is a big help! What an interesting lead.

Regards,
Nor_Fam

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nor_Fam and The Yokel,

Brilliant, Peter PENTNEY/PENTENNY m Mary Ann JARY confirms my suspicion as to where James JARY PENTNEY got his middle name. Looks like Peter and Mary Ann were my GGG Grandparents.

As for my previous research, I don't know where I got East Dereham from as Peter PENTNEY's birthplace; probably my erroneous transcription.  Looking at 1861 Census he was born North Elmham, concurring with the information you have supplied, thank you.

I had also found James JARY PENTNEY as the nephew of John PENTNEY in 1861 so went searching for his immediate family.

At present, I conclude that Abel and Mary (thank you for their names) PENTNEY had at least two sons, John (b abt 1799 Beetly) and Peter (b 1807 North Elmham).

John's wife was Rosetta (b abt 1812 Gressenhall) and their children were Mary (b abt 1839), Henry (b abt 1841), Emma (b abt 1844), Eliza (b abt 1846) and John (b abt 1849).

Peter's wife was Mary Ann JARY (b abt 1812 Cley by the Sea) and their children were Sarah (b abt 1834), William (b abt 1835), James JARY PENTNEY (b Q1 1839), John (b abt 1843), Mary Ann (b abt 1846), George (b abt 1848), Eliza (b abt 1850) and Emma (b abt 1856).

First born in 1834 fits nicely with their marriage of 19 July 1832.

Would the marriage in Wells be Wells Next The Sea? (about 9 miles West of Cley Next The Sea where Mary Ann was born).

Sherwood
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk