Author Topic: Completed - Bexley - Parkers Farm Dairy  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Completed - Bexley - Parkers Farm Dairy
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Might anyone have any idea where this diary/farm was?

Tom and Bob Knott (brothers) and Bob's brother-in-law John (Jack) George Sewell (my GGF) all delivered milk from here in the early 1900's.

My mother recalls being taken for walks across fields by her JGS her GF in the North Cray Road / Vicarage Road direction and being told stories of various events (a relative being killed by a bull - haven't got to the bottom of that yet) believes the dairy might have been in that direction.

I've been to the local archives at the library on Townley Road, Bexleyheath but found nothing in the directories or maps.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bexley - Parkers Farm Dairy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
I suppose it depends from which direction your Mum was walking.

I used to live in Hill Crescent in the 60's. Ok I know some time after you are likely to be talking about. There was one field immediatly below us which was given to wheat etc. i.e. no cattle or dairy. It now appears from Google to be totally overgrown and abandoned. However on the other side (left) of Vicarage Road, if you are looking towards Northcray Road from Hill Crescent  were a number of stables and I think a farm on the corner which later became a riding stables. The road/ track as it was in those days ran up to Mount Mascal and on into the Forestry Commission. Could this be where your mother is thinking of.  ???

Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Jackie,

You've described something I wasn't aware of, so yes its a possibility. My problem is that the recollection I'm trying to unravel has never been particularly clear.

Mr Harry Smith ran his business out of Parkers Farm Dairy - that I get from a Kentish Times newspaper cutting of the 1960's. My mother's stories are drawn from a Sunday afternoon walk with granddad memory well. She remembers visiting stabled horses with him, and walking through fields (and there are still many of those to be seen from the train arriving from Albany Park).

I never lived there after age 4 and my mother since age 27. Since the early 60's I've been back and visited more often than she which means our memories collide. I'll try her on the stables>

Many thanks
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I think I've got to the bottom of this, don't take everything your read in the papers as fact.

I had a look in the 1903 Kelly's Directory and found a Henry Smith as a Dairyman on Parkhurst Road and High Street, Bexley. In the 1901 census he is a dairy farmer at Parkhurst Farm Dairy.

The cutting (a newspaper cutting, I'd not mentioned that before) is a local interest filler. You can see the Editor sending out whoever was free to do the interview, not necessarily the one who was interested in doing it. So if you're not interested and don't really know Bexley village that well you might just think you heard "Harry Smith" and "Parkers Farm"

There was a Parkhurst Farm Dairy with its own marked milk cans. That part of Bexley was still agricultural at the time and as I cannot find a Parkers Farm out in the North Cray direction (where the farms appear to be marked) I think I've found my answer.

As for my mother's memory I suspect that is a mixed up collection of memories I may never get to the bottom of.

Happy Hunting
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Bexley - Parkers Farm Dairy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done Canuc. Glad you seem to have solved the mystery  ;D
Jackie ;)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
That would make perfect sense ;D

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kentishmike

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 July 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
As a new member of the forum, I have just seen this thread.
I know the query was raised long ago, but I may have some helpful information.
My Father was born at Parker's farm, Bexley in 1904. In fact he was named after the owner.

The actual location was at the junction of Parkhill Rd and Parkhurst Rd, Bexley.
The farmhouse is still there. Known in the 1900's as Island House (or Island Farm) it
stands right by the traffic triangular island at the above juntion, opposite the Church of St John
the Evangelist (where my dad was Christened). Outside there is still a Victorian post box that is featured in some old Postcards of Bexley, held in the local archives.

My father's name was Harry Smith Pearson. Born 22 Dec 1904, Died 4 Mar 1972.
Further information on my public family tree on Ancestry titled
[Pearson(FTM2014) Updated 25 April 2015]

Offline Krofterboy76

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 June 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 June 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello krofterboy76 and Kentishmike,

As new members with only one post you are unable to use the pm function at the moment, once you have posted a couple of times you will get access to all functions.

If you wish to pass sensitive information with one another regarding living folk, it is best to use the PM function.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk