Author Topic: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.  (Read 103511 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.
« Reply #225 on: Thursday 04 July 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
What does A.O.D.B. stand for?

Association of the Old Dublin Brigade.
 Internet search for Association of the Old Dublin Brigade pin badge shows a few examples.

Cowban

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Thursday 04 July 19 19:16 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for solving that one

CSM

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
What does A.O.D.B. stand for?

Association of the Old Dublin Brigade.
 Internet search for Association of the Old Dublin Brigade pin badge shows a few examples.

Thank you very much! :D It seems obvious now I see it. DOH!!!!
In fact  DCoughlan post the synomyn on Page 24 of this topic: 
Hi Gary,

I just happened to find this forum post by accident and noticed you mentioning a man who knew Bill Corri through the Old Dublin Brigade Club and wonder if it might be the same group ( Association of the Old Dublin Brigade - AODB) started by my grandfather, FX Coghlan, after the large scale demobilisation in 1924/25. Due to family circumstances he stepped down as president in 1927/8 and Piaras Béaslaí took over.

He had been Captain of the Rathfarnham company (E, 4th) through the War of independence and was then made Commandant of the Battalion at the split and organised it for the Free State army. He was active in trying to organise the men after the Civil War was over, to provide opportunities to network and share information on the pension procedures.

He would have been at many of the funerals and commemorations around Dublin up to his own death in 1970. So curious to know if the gentleman you had met might have known him.
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline MOCHARA1329

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Thursday 08 April 21 15:29 BST (UK) »

The following are quotes from Haydn Corri in regard to the his involvement in Bloody Sunday.

Is it possible to identify the the target or house from this.

Is there anything you have come accross to corroborate this.

He was in B Company 3rd Battallion & 5th Battallion. Engineers Dublin Brigade.

"My assignment brought me into the very centre of activities and when our work was finished we had a short unexpected delay which almost proved fatal.   Troops from Portobello Bks. were closing in on us from Lesson Street end while Tans and Auxiliaries were massing at the Mount Street end.   I had been given the use of 2 cars, one stationed at Baggot St. Bridge and the other stationed at Mount Street Bridge. I was given strict orders that those cars were only to be used for taking away wounded and if my party reached those points without casualties I was to dismiss them.   After dismissing the Baggott St. Bridge car we proceeded along the canal towards Mount St. Bridge, this was after the shooting in Mount St. and after Frank Teeling had been wounded and captured. The Tans were crowding into Northumberland Road getting out of their cars but making no attempt to cross the Bridge, just firing into the air and behaving like wild Indians.   The position from our point of view looked hopeless.   We had a short consultation and agreed that it no longer served any purpose to conceal our arms and that we could cross he road with guns at the ready.   We also decided that it was not to be everyman for himself and that if one fell we would all stand by and fight; this would have been a very short fight as at this time we had reloaded our guns and none of us had more than 3 or 4 spare rounds of ammunition.   However we reached the far side safely and here with all the milling, killing and shooting sat the driver of our second car calmly waiting for orders; this man deserves great praise as owing to our delay he could have reasonably concluded that we had all become casualties further up or had been forced to take another direction.   Just as I dismissed this car the Tans realized that something was happening.   They crowded over the parapet of the Bridge and fired volley upon volley after us.   We had no alternative but to return the fire and by the time we had emptied our guns we had reached the corner of Grand Canal St., from here it was obvious that the entire area was being quickly surrounded and as our guns were useless now owing to lack of ammunition I relieved my party of their arms and dismissed them and proceeded alone to find a safe temporary dump for them..   My own Coy. Capt. afterwards accused me of having deliberately delayed my retreat so that I could engage the enemy and if I had not been arrested so soon after I am sure I would have had to face a charge of exposing my party to unnecessary danger. "

"On our retreat we overtook a policeman who was making straight for Lad Lane Police Stations whether he was merely reporting for duty or was rushing to tell of something he had seen made little difference to us.   We just had to delay long enough to remove his bootlaces and tie him by the arms to a railing on Fitzwilliam Square. This policeman later failed or refused to recognise me in Kilmainham Prison.  The reason that they did not cross the bridge was that when the shootings started in Mount Street two Auxiliary Cadets were sent back on foot to Beggers Bush Barracks for reinforcements.   These two men were captured on Northumberland Road and taken into a garden and shot.   When reinforcements eventually left Beggers Bush this was the first incident that they met and thinking that it was the only scene of action they did not proceed further for some time, this certainly saved myself and party from destruction as otherwise we would have walked straight into the main body of reinforcements."

"I was arrested on Tuesday night and placed in a lorry with or 14 other prisoners, 3 of which were destined to give their lives for Ireland in a few short months time.  They were Tom Whelan who was executed, David Kelly brother of Tom Kelly, Lord Mayor of Dublin and Bernard Hanlon of my own Coy.  David Kelly was released owing to ill health and Bernard Hanlon was released owing to his extreme youth."

I wonder do you have photos of the 3rd Batt Dublin Brigade in your quote you mention my relative Bernard O'Hanlonwho was killed on active service 14/3/21 against the crown forces, he was in the same Coy as your relative as is mentioned here
(Arthurs, Mc Shane in Tyrone)-
(Arthurs, Murphy, Keenan, Boyle, Mackle, Agnew
Mc Conville, Mc Combe Belfast)
(O'Hanlon, Hanratty, Mulholland, Mc Namee, Dobbs, Murphy, Lamb, Murphy in Dundalk/Louth)
(Darragh Belfast/Derry)