Author Topic: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.  (Read 103267 times)

Offline gormangenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 September 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Plenty of photo's here

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 September 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Includes the one of the "Cairo gang"

http://generalmichaelcollins.com/WEB_Photo_Folder/1.PhotoAlbum/Cairo_Gang.html

I have tried emailing them too to see if they have any ideas on it
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
My relative mentions Bloody Sunday on his pension application but I haven't got any further with finding out more.
Ardle O'Hanlon on "who do you think you are?" found his grandfather on Bloody Sunday mentioned in Ernie O'Malley's Notebooks (or diary). I can't remember which Dublin college keeps them.

On the day of Bloody Sunday the list of targets was quite long. I can't remember now if it was 25 or 35 targets. Anyhow I think what seems to be the case was that more men were needed. So it ended up that men who had no experience of this type of assassination got roped in. Some of these men were from E company. I think Todd Andrews was involved this way.
Well that's what I got outta my poking around.

I'm finding the politics of it all a huge barrier in my search. With my relative, even his children have different views on whether or not their father was involved. He had views about that level of violence but on the other hand so did Todd Andrews.

Very frustrating.

Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
I 'm finding the politics of it all a huge barrier in my search. 

That is a problem with much of one's research in Ireland, particularly where violence was involved. I have found even with a landlord murder in rural Tipperary in the 1820s that nobody wants to discuss it. Their descendants still live there.

You have to accept the situation, and try another way of approaching the question.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
I came across this article by someone from TCD about the effects of the shootings on the men that carried out the shootings. I was interested enough to purchase it (£11.50) and it is a very interesting read.

Abstract

21 November 1920 began with the killing of fourteen men in their flats, boarding houses, and hotel rooms in Dublin. The Irish Republican Army (IRA) alleged that they were British spies. That afternoon British forces retaliated by firing on a crowd of supporters at a Gaelic football match in Croke Park, killing twelve and injuring sixty. The day quickly became known as Bloody Sunday. Much has been made of the afternoon's events. The shootings in Croke Park have acquired legendary status. Concern with the morning's killing has been largely limited to whether or not the dead men were the spies the IRA said they were. There has been little or no consideration of the men who did the killing. This article is based on largely unused interviews and statements made by the IRA men involved in this and many of the other days that came to constitute the guerrilla war fought against the British forces in Ireland from January 1919 until July 1921. This morning's killings are a chilling example of much of what passed for combat during this struggle. Bloody Sunday morning is used here as a means to explore how generally young and untrained IRA men killed and how this type of killing affected their lives.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 September 09 05:44 BST (UK) »
Great to see my Great Uncle John Wilson listed, for years I was told he was involved with the war of independence, its not till I found this place that  I have seen proof.
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline striker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I'm new to this forum, so be gentle!

Reference 'The Squad', I have a copy of my Grandfather's (Patrick Lawson) witness statement from the Bureau of Military History, Military Archives and he states that he joined the squad in March 1921. His enrolment into the squad with two others brought the unit up to 21 in strength, broken into three groups under the command of Joe Leonard, Tom Keogh and Jim Slattery. Paddy Daly was in charge of the entire squad.

He was involved with the burning of the Custom House and was captured and imprisoned until the treaty was signed in 1922.

Alas, he is vague on other members of the squad.

Striker

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Striker & Welcome, I am new here myself, This site is the best thing ever for helping you find out about your family,there are great bunch here very friendly.
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline Alan8Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 November 09 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, whilst I know there's likely to have been many Byrne's in Dublin, my Grandfather (Edmund Leo Byrne - known principally as Ned Byrne but also it would seem referred to as Eddie Byrne (i've got a couple of letters where he's called that but it's mainly 'Ned')) was involved in IRA activity during this period (ostensibly, it would seem, as dispatch carrier for Michael Collins between Liverpool and Dublin (my grandfather was in the Merchant Navy aboard the SS Blackrock and carried dispatches, and aided in the transit of arms and wanted men between Liverpool and Bristol to Dublin - i have some testimonals dating from the 1920's from former IRA/IRB members to this effect - including Neill Kerr and, also, one or two others he aided following their escape from Usk prison in 1919).  Anyway, he had, i believe, 6 or 7 brothers who were also involved in 'the movement' including a Willy Byrne, a Vincent Byrne and a Gus Byrne (i don't know the names of the others alas) and I don't know if it's possible that he/they were your Grandfather's brother(s)?  I believe the family home during the 1916-21 period was 7 St James' Street, Dublin (don't know if all the brothers were living there at this time or whether some had moved/married/were in safe houses).  Anyway, if any of this is familiar I'll be happy to share my information with you and be very glad of anything you can help me fill-in my gaps with.