Author Topic: roxburgh place names  (Read 7966 times)

Offline JRR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: roxburgh place names
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
My side of the family is one of the other branches of the family starting with William & Agnes.

Andrew Rutherford (1785-1855) & Agnes Sibbald (1788-1870)
John Rutherford (1818-1905) & Helen Middlemas (1828-1913)
William Middlemas Rutherford (1849-1929) & Alison Gray (1857-1907)
John Rutherford (1883-1943) & Jane White Dunn (1876-1960)

John and Jane were my grandparents, John immigrated from Kelso, Scotland to the US in 1912 and Jane from Gourock, Scotland in 1907.

The Rutherford lineage from William & Agnes is quite large.  I have descendant lines from their sons Andrew, Thomas, George and John but nothing on William, James and Betty.  The census numbers for Rutherford's in Roxburghshire between 1841 thru 1901 range from 516 to 728.  I'm thinking that the family may have ranged up to 10% of the census totals.  I have 35 grandchildren, 20 male and 15 female, of William & Agnes living in Roxburghshire in the early 1800's.

I would like to get more information on William, James & Betty.  Also, I have always thought that it would be good to look in Bamburgh for an Elizabeth or Betty Mills, a possibility for Agnes's mother.

Jack
Rutherford, Mills, Sibbald, Laidlaw, Middlemas, Lidgerwood, Gray, Jack, White, Dunn

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 November 09 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack , thanks for that info. It has filled in a few blanks in my tree. I think the Rutherfords were a large family. My great grandmother was Henrietta Rutherford born 16th September 1877, died 27th November 1954. She married George Wallace on 27th October 1898. She had a nephew Henry Rutherford who died in Melrose in 1997 and he was married to Catherine Meldrum Terrace but I have been unable to establish if they had any children.
William, James and Betty are a bit of a mystery, I only have birth dates for them. Agnes Mills is also a bit of a mystery. I think looking for her mother is a good line to follow as there were a few Mills in Northumberland at that time.
I have a marriage date of 26th April 1777 in Yetholm, Roxburghshire for William Rutherford and Agnes Mills but no certain dates or place for Williams birth.
Will let you know what I find.
Mike

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack , need to correct my last posting . Henry Rutherford b.1906 married Ann McGregor not Catherine Terrace who was his mother !.
I have a birth record for an Agnes Mills born/christened 5th November 1744, Ford Parish, Northumberland, father George Mills. However the marriage record for our Agnes Mills gives her birth parish as Bamburgh, Northumberland. Bamburgh is on the coast whereas Ford is inland and well to the west of Bamburgh.
Will keep searching
Mike

Offline RCR43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found a connection to William Rutherford and Agnes Robson Rutherford. I don't have information on him, but she was born in 1849 to Elizabeth Robson & John Laidlaw.
From my information, she was a cousin to my great grandfather, Gilbert Robson