Author Topic: Sarah Wood (nee Bower) - Hunslet  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wood (nee Bower) - Hunslet
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
I don't know about the time difference in Brisbane Australia, but I have just sent the lady (Colleen) an e-mail advising her of this conversation.
(I don't know if she is a 'chatter or not)
Hoping she will join in this conversation, maybe she will update on information gathered so far.
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 September 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
I know that, thats where I live 8)
I was reffering to IGI entry. ::)

Apologies if I misunderstood - I thought you were referring to the 1851 census  of the Wood children

Now I realise you were stating that "the Bower family lived in Hunslet" - you hadn't posted that information before

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 September 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Correction to your post - Address given for 1841 should show Hill House Place, not Lane as stated.
But I bow to your greater knowledge of 'chasing the dead' :o
 Regards Brian

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 September 09 23:09 BST (UK) »
have edited 1841 - I had written "Place" and then posted "lane" - I think I was too interested in the word after Place - think it says Leeds - but the "d" looks like an "A"

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
I have just received an e-mail from Colleen stating that she has signed up to Rootschat.
Although she hasn't posted any additional information, she is following the conversation with interest.
And wishes to thank you for your input.
 Regards Brian

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Content of e-mail recieved

I have taken your advise and signed up with rootschat.com and still in the process of learning how to use the site. Thanks for your entry I noticed it when I logged into the internet and was delighted to see so many responses thank everyone for their interest.

With regards to what I have discovered to date, which also seems to be the findings of others on your internet site are as follows -
Sarah Bower married Horatio Wood on the 12. 7. 1828. They had six children Bower b. 4 July 1830, Joseph b. 30. 11. 1831, Joshua b. 22. 8. 1834, Robert b. 10. 12. 1836, Sarah b. 8 4. 1838 and  Horatio b. 28. 3. 1840.
In the census of 1841

Horatio and Sarah both recorded their ages in the Census of 1841 as being 35 which suggest that they were born either 1805/06.

I gather the first son was given the name Bower after her family name.

Their second son Joseph was the name of Horatio's father.

Joshua, the third son, was I believe her father's name since Joshua Bower mentioned her children in his will of 1855. Also the obituary for Horatio and Sarah Wood in the Leeds Mercury Saturday 15th 1849 pages 5 and 8 stated  'Horatio Wood Solicitor of this town and his wife, the former who was taken ill during his absence from home and died at an inn, in Wakefield on Thursday. Mrs Wood who is a daughter of Alderman Bower, who was taken ill during her husband's absence from home died about the same hour on Thursday. Neither of them knew the other's illness. their bodies were interned in the Hunslet Cemetery'. There appeared to be only two Aldermen during this period with the surname Bower - Joshua and his brother John both of Hunslet.

I feel that if someone is able to view the headstone for Horatio and his wife in the Hunslet cemetery I might be able to discover when she was born and possibly who her father was - do you know who I could get in contact with who may be able to assist me.

I don't know who Robert was named after I think however it must have been in the Bower family since no Robert's appear in the Wood family tree.

Sarah would have been named after her mother, Horatio after his father.

What is also interesting to note is that no birth entries exist for her  brothers Joshua Wood b. 1801 (married Elizabeth Preston 31 .12.1827), John b. 1801 (never married), or sister Ann b.1808 (married Charles Grosvener 23.1.1828) yet they are all found in the census's and other official documents.

Hope these findings help.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Content of e-mail recieved

With regards to what I have discovered to date, which also seems to be the findings of others on your internet site are as follows -
Sarah Bower married Horatio Wood on the 12. 7. 1828. They had six children Bower b. 4 July 1830, Joseph b. 30. 11. 1831, Joshua b. 22. 8. 1834, Robert b. 10. 12. 1836, Sarah b. 8 4. 1838 and  Horatio b. 28. 3. 1840.
In the census of 1841

Horatio and Sarah both recorded their ages in the Census of 1841 as being 35 which suggest that they were born either 1805/06.

I gather the first son was given the name Bower after her family name.

Their second son Joseph was the name of Horatio's father.

Joshua, the third son, was I believe her father's name since Joshua Bower mentioned her children in his will of 1855. Also the obituary for Horatio and Sarah Wood in the Leeds Mercury Saturday 15th 1849 pages 5 and 8 stated  'Horatio Wood Solicitor of this town and his wife, the former who was taken ill during his absence from home and died at an inn, in Wakefield on Thursday. Mrs Wood who is a daughter of Alderman Bower, who was taken ill during her husband's absence from home died about the same hour on Thursday. Neither of them knew the other's illness. their bodies were interned in the Hunslet Cemetery'. There appeared to be only two Aldermen during this period with the surname Bower - Joshua and his brother John both of Hunslet.

I feel that if someone is able to view the headstone for Horatio and his wife in the Hunslet cemetery I might be able to discover when she was born and possibly who her father was - do you know who I could get in contact with who may be able to assist me.

I don't know who Robert was named after I think however it must have been in the Bower family since no Robert's appear in the Wood family tree.

Sarah would have been named after her mother, Horatio after his father.

What is also interesting to note is that no birth entries exist for her  brothers Joshua Wood b. 1801 (married Elizabeth Preston 31 .12.1827), John b. 1801 (never married), or sister Ann b.1808 (married Charles Grosvener 23.1.1828) yet they are all found in the census's and other official documents.

Hope these findings help.

You have stated that Joshua as Sarah's father and he was an alderman - so it seems the Joshua Bower I have already posted on the 1851 census is a very strong possibility for her father

The older Woos children are not with parents on 1841 census - I found Bower at a private school - do you require the 1841 censii for the older children????

You state - Horatio and Sarah both have recorded age of 35 on 1841 census - which you state "suggests they were born 1805/6" I have already explained the workings of 1841 census in an earlier reply
In 1841 ages of persons over 15 were(supposed to be) rounded down to the nearest 5 years-so a recorded age of 35 (in 1841) suggests the age of between 35 and 39 - which widens the time scale  when searching for a baptism.

Not all of the baptisms are on the IGI - but it is continually having additions.

Are you certain Alderman John Bower was the brother of Alderman Joshua -and not a son????

Suz

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Not easy! only having 41c info. Ages are with in 5 year round off and only County of birth in most Cases. Try the marriage Parish reg to see if its by banns or license Bond allegation. Also witnesses. Next a Will maybe  being a solicitor. Last if you live in Yorkshire try Wakefield WYAS Volume by names also places index. (may hold clue) Next try family history societies- Leeds Library-Leeds and Wakefield
Archive offices for transcription by Surname index. Sheepscar is good but Wakefield archives BMD transcriptions is Awesome for the whole county. Then try deeper records Quarter sessions- Land tax- Relief Tax and Loads as ask their advice on what to search.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 September 09 13:32 BST (UK) »

Hi,

If this is her correct age on her burial record then it might help find her birth,

Sarah WOOD   
Date of burial: 14 Sep 1849
Age at death: 45
Dedication: Hunslet Cemetery

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)