Author Topic: Mullingar Parish Registers - KILLIN  (Read 4405 times)

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mullingar Parish Registers - KILLIN
« on: Saturday 05 March 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find birth or baptismal records for THOMAS KILLIN born in or near the market town of Mullingar in the parish of Mullingar around 1787. He was enlisted in the South Cork Militia on 21st February 1809 by Commanding Officer Hayes St. Leger (I think that the South Cork Militia was in barracks in Dublin at the time), but he volunteered to join the 43rd Regiment of Foot , 2nd Battalion, on 10th May 1809 in Killarney, Co. Kerry. He fought in Spain in the Peninsular Wars and retired to a pension in 1824 and the rest, as they say, is history.

In his pension records from the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, his name is given as THOMAS KILLEN (although his signature appears to be Killin) and he appears in Muster Rolls under a variety of spellings, such as Killings, etc.

Any help in looking up local records or in pointing me to the parish churches of the time where I can inspect the original registers myself would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice on how to find his (and my) ancestors. One last clue, Thomas may have had a brother called William, whose son John was born in Dublin around 1819.

Many thanks,

skill
Rowsom, Larkin in Wexford
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork