Author Topic: Look-up pse  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-up pse
« on: Tuesday 15 September 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a birth entry for a William Gordon in Canada around 1772/1773? His death cert claims he was born at Brilar Julyer, Canada but I've looked on the www and there is no such place. Sorry, I have no other informaton other that he returned to Scotland around 1885.

Magian

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up pse
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
Magian:

Did you mean to write down 1785 for his return?  Or, his birth was 1872/73?

My research in Canada starts c1830.  I don't know where you might look for a birth c1772.

If he returned to Scotland in 1785, then you might know his parents names?  Have you tried searching for the parents in Canada? 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Old Place Names in South West Quebec.  I did not see anything similar to your name, but I didn't look too long:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcchatea/placenames/names.htm
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Magian,

Could you please post a link to the image of the name on the death certificate.  I am well experienced in very early Canadian research and may, with the aid of that image, and a few answers from you, be able to detect the locale.  Very few areas of Canada were officially opened at that time, but there were a number of fur trader and missionary settlements.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
He is in Scotland in the 1851 census, born 1773, ancestry has his birth place listed as Brilar Julyer, Canada on the census  :-\

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Because of the complexity of early Canadian research it is necessary to have absolutely pinpoint spot-on information to work from, so please don't think I'm just trying to be difficult with these questions:

1.  You use the term "...ancestry has his birth place..." - is that Ancestry the online company? 

2.  If it is, have you obtained the image of the census from scotlandspeople website? I also need to see the actual penmanship - the written appearance of the name. Could you PM me and I can arrange for you to send a copy email to me?

3.  Have you obtained your fellow's death certificate?  If so, was his place of birth given, by any slim chance?

4.  Is there any family information as to why your fellow would have been born in Canada, e.g. father went to work for Hudson's Bay Company, missionary work or was eligible for military land settlement?

5.  Have you found your fellow in the 1841 census in Scotland, England, Wales, Channel Islands?  - just so I can rule out that he may have still been in Canada at that time.

6.  Did he marry in Canada or in Scotland?

7.  Who was living with him in 1851 and 1841, if found, - wife, children and what were their birthplaces?

8.  Is there any other documentation that you have that gives any point of reference in Canada, even a broad one such as Canada East, Canada West or Upper or Lower Canada, or Province of Canada?  Canada's name and respective references changed over time and at some times quite rapidly.

9.  I have a few works of early immigrants to Canada and can check those for your William Gordon but I will need to have the names of his parents and siblings as the resources are arranged by father's name. 

10.  What was the family's religion at the time of William Gordon's birth?  If Roman Catholic, I have other resources that I can check for you.

I await your responses.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Oops!  Sorry.  Just realized that you are not the interested party but rather a party trying to assist.

Hopefully, Magian will see my post with the questions and respond.  Otherwise, I'd have to repost to her attention.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Here is a the portion of the 1851 Census.  It looks like Britain and then something else very hard to read.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Oh, I am sorry to disappoint you but that place of birth says

"Canada / British Subject"

That is actually what I thought I would see.

Next question is, where to from here?  Back to the list of questions which will really need answering before I will be able to really give some strong assistance.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner