Author Topic: Thomas Hodgkiss 1841 + 1851  (Read 3229 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hodgkiss 1841 + 1851
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 16:00 BST (UK) »
what made me wonder about his mother's name - in 1861 Thomas' wife Jane and some of the children are with who is supposedly Thomas' mother -and her name is mary!!! She is with husband Richard in the next census - maybe keziah died and Richard remarried?????

could you give me age and p.o.b. for Thomas on 1861 and 1881 census -as I haven't found him yet!!!! I find it helps to search when you have the person on other census

His age seems to vary in the census I have found  so far

Where and when was he baptised?

Do you have the names of siblings?

Don't give up yet

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to Rootschat but really glad I did a search on it and found your post. My 3x great grandparents are Aaron and Mary Hodgkiss. Aaron was born in Brewood, Staffordshire in 1824. His father was James Hodgkiss. I think your Thomas may be a relative.  Both Aaron and his father were besom makers, as was his son William, my great great grandfather. I think the census takers really struggled with the dialect which pronounces Brewood as Brud as ended up with various interpretations by those filling in the census records. Thank you so much for what everyone has contributed, this has provided a really good piece to the puzzle. It's taken me ages to get to Aaron and Mary as they changed their surname to Hodgkinson - my surname! Would love to keep in touch and see if we can help each other further but whether you'd like to or prefer not, thank you.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat
There are many of us who may or may not be of the same family and many RootsChatters who like to help. We are a very friendly site and help each other so I'm sure you will get replies.
I am not related to Hodgkiss but was helping a fellow RootsChatter looking for their family - unfortunately Hodgkiss does not seem to have visited this site for quite some time.
I will be back later this evening seeing what further information I can find and maybe other RootsChatters will help meanwhile.
We often ask questions and for some information you may already have - this is just to help us confirm we are on the correct path.
Sometimes if the information is found the original poster does not reply - it always helps to reply - we like to know whether we are being helpful or if no further information is required.
Between all of us we have a wealth of information and experience
I am sure you will enjoy this site and find help
It is also RootsChat policy to not post details of anyone living/may be living - we do have a private message facility for if you should ever need to mention something away from the public boards.
Happy RootsChatting
Back later
Regards Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk