Author Topic: 1851 Census AHOGHILL. CRAIGS  (Read 6489 times)

Offline abunile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census AHOGHILL. CRAIGS
« on: Thursday 17 September 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Can anybody put me right about the 1851 census remains.

I am wondering if the Craig parish census was saved and is complete. The reason I am curious is I am researching the HOLMES family in the area and three show up in Griffiths in Ballyconnelly, Craigs Parish.

James Holmes. 27 Acres
Mary Anne Holmes.  11 Acres
John Holmes.,  13 Acres.

I believe the Griffiths valuation years were 1861 and 62, so I would have expected the three Holmes to be showing on the 1851 census since they are all reasonable sized farmers in 1862. My main interest is in Mary Anne Holmes as she could be my Gtgtgtgrandmother.

On that note does anyone know if it would be normal for a widow to be named on Griffiths or the eldest son. I think she may be the widow of Henry but have no proof as yet!! :-\

Most grateful for any help and advice from all.

kind regards

abunile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census AHOGHILL. CRAIGS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 09 19:33 BST (UK) »
1851 census is mentioned in ANTRIM RESOURCES and you can check yourself for any Holmes households-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369523.0.html

It's entirely possible that a widow might be the head of the household but could also be another family member (not always eldest son) so there's really no way of checking just from Griffith's Valuation.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline abunile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Aghadowey,

As usual great help and great advice, the Ontario Genealogical Society pdf is particularly useful for searches.
Unfortunately my guys and gals did not show up on the census remnants , anyway I got a brief dream I could make progress. :)

abunile

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't assist with your particular enquiry, but just wondered if you had also looked at the headstone inscriptions on the Braid website:

http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx

as their are a number of entries for Holmes of Ballyconnelly, including one for a Mary Ann, erected by her son George.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline abunile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Scotmum,

I've looked at the Braids website you mentioned, it looks as if that Mary Anne was born around 1804; so I think that may be just a little early for her to be my ancestor as that  puts her at 45 years giving birth to my gtgtgtgrandfather William DOB c1850 the son of Henry. She is probably the Mary Anne in Griffiths though.

With reference to my comments above regarding the Holmes not appearing on the 1851 census but showing on the Griffiths 1862. I did not realise that small tenent farmers seem to move about so much, depending on many factors I suppose. I have been researching a little this morning and find many of the Ballyconnelly residents of 1851 have gone by 1862.  My focal point is Gortfad as I have a marriage in Ahoghill  between William Holmes (son of Henry)and Isabella Mcateer resident of Gortfad in 1874. 
Do you think that a ten mile radius of Gortfad about right to search for Henry or should I expand it bearing in mind the apparent movements of the small farmers in the area at the time.

You input on this post and my others is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Abunile

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Firstly, don't immediately rule out a 45yr old giving birth, as this was not uncommon in a timescale when families were large and spread out over a number of years......sometimes up to 20 or so between youngest to eldest.

Regarding movement, even a ten mile area can be smaller than necessary, as many folks moved further afield than we might imagine, however, it is certainly a good starting point.

For example, the Ordnance Survey memoirs of the 1830's for Ahoghill Parish includes a  list of folks who emigrated as well as a longer list of those who migrated, usually to the Glasgow area, annually for seasonal work.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Rhonda Holmes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi my husband is Alan Holmes of Ballyconnelly Cullybackey
We inherited from his father James the family farm which Alan works at
His grandparents were James and Emma buried in Brookside Presbyterian church yard in Ahoghill
There is also a headstone for John, Mary, Samuel Edward, James,Agnes, Elizabeth and Annie

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 January 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.

Just wanted to gently bring to your attention, that the site has a 'no living person' policy (to protect such individuals), so whilst your post is fine with the photo and details of deceased, it would be best if you amend it to remove your husband's details, especially as you have also given a location (and therefore easily traceable)

Meantime, abunile who started this very old thread, was still showing as active on the site back in December 2020. Depending on their profile settings, and providing they haven't changed email since, they should get a notification of your post.

Additionally, if you would like help tracing your husband's line back further, just say so and folks will give you as much assistance as they can.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 January 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is also a headstone for John, Mary, Samuel Edward, James,Agnes, Elizabeth and Annie

Linking the following:

John Holmes and family in 1901 census.
Residents of a house 36 in Ballyconnelly (Ballyconnelly, Antrim).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballyconnelly/Ballyconnelly/924555/

...and in 1911 census.
Residents of a house 6 in Ballyconnelly (Ballyconnelly, Antrim).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballyconnelly/Ballyconnelly/115691/

PRONI Will Calendars- https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Probate of the Will of John Holmes late of Ballyconnelly County Antrim Farmer who died 2 July 1922 granted at Belfast to Robert Holmes Farmer Effects £300

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo