Author Topic: Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1872  (Read 6883 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1872
« on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have a maternal ancestor Catherine WILKINSON, who came out from Wales, possibly about 1864 to Australia. Have a Catherine Wilkinson coming out on "Art Union" in 1864 which could be she.   
She married an N. JACOBS (possibly in Adelaide) and then they went to Curepipe, Mauritius, where he managed the family firm of Charles Jacobs & Sons' sugar plantations and "Family Hotel'. 
The only further info. I have is that they purchased a home at "Woodcliff", Esplanade, Mornington (bought by Catherine in 1906) and that they were staying there for about five months from at least January 1908 to May 1908.
N. came out from Mauritius in January, and have seen the Shipp. Register (on family firm's clipper ship 'C.J.S.') which gives his age as '60, Australian born.'. A newspaper article notes his return to Mauritius on same ship in May 1908, and states that he is a 'partner' in the family firm of Charles Jacobs & Sons.  In spite of intensive research, both within Australia and to contacts in Mauritius,  I have been unable to locate this N. Jacobs.  He is not one of Charles Jacobs' 12 children (C. has eldest son Nathaniel, but all other details are wrong, including different wife).   I am also unable to locate wedding details, shipping to Mauritius originally, and deaths either here or in Mauritius.
  (Catherine Wilkinson was born June 1842 in Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales to John and Margaret Wilkinson.  Her younger sister Margaret came out in 1863 and was married age 17 in Adelaide in Dec. 1864 to Francis Richard PITCHFORD - these are my g.grandparents) Can anyone help at all, in any way?   Ruth  (also see my post from April 2009 under : "Mauritius - Jacobs & Sons")

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1872
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
There is no Catherine WILKINSON/JACOBS marriage in South Australia.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
I checked in Victoria and NSW  as well, also no births  to this couple either

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
I am fairly certain that there were no children of marriage.  No mention within any family info. of children - could they have been married in any other state,  around that time?  Most frustrating.
 Have a lot of info. of Jacobs company, and various of sons who were partners in business, and about the firm in Mauritius - but no N. anywhere!  Can't understand it.   ??? ???

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
If you have seen  the register, was the N a definate N?
so by what you have he was born in 1848? is that right somewhere in Australia and you are sure he married Catherine Wilkinson? possibly in South Australia.

As Stated I  checked for a marriage in Victoria and NSW but no joy as yet. 
Could that marriage taken place say in England?

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
I didn't actually get a copy of the Shipping Register but am pretty sure it was an 'N'.  But I suppose it could have been incorrect?  It was from Register that I confirmed that it said "Australian born" and "age 60".   
 The only other 2 'confirmations' as such which I have are:
 (1) in a newspaper article in the old "Frankston Standard" at the time of wedding of niece of Mr. Jacob's wife - (account of the wedding in Mornington, Vic. in March 1908 of Catherine PITCHFORD - Mrs. Jacobs' niece - and Albert WARD). This gave a list of guests and their gifts to bridal couple - "Mr. & Mrs. N. Jacobs - aunt & uncle of bride".  The Jacobs  were then living at their house "Woodclyffe" (spelt Woodcliffe at that time) and family diaries have indicated various relatives visiting 'the Jacobs'. 
 Mr. Jacobs came out from Mauritius on family ship "C.J.S." (initials of firm 'Charles Jacobs & Sons') in January 1908.  Catherine was not on that voyage - only three persons on ship; I haven't been able to trace (via the internet - it is difficult for me to go into the P.R.O. very often at all, as I have an ill husband) when Catherine Jacobs came back to Australia.  She even could have stayed at the house she bought from 1906 on, and - again via a newspaper account - it stated that 'she was awaiting the arrival of her husband from Mauritius' . 
(The home "Woodcliffe" + 25 acres was up for Public auction in rooms of C. J. & T. Ham, 75 Swanston Street, Melbourne on 25 October, 1906, (preliminary notices in "The Age" newspaper) , property being sold by widow of Sir Francis Murphy.)  Again, I haven't been able to confirm the purchase from subsequent newspapers but have no doubt of the purchase.
 I feel that the home was bought in order to accommodate the couple, after they retired from the Sugar and tea plantations in Mauritius.  I know their hotel "Family Hotel" in Curepipe changed hands in 1908, being taken over by a Miss A. Wiehe ('a member of an old and respected French-Mauritian family').
2. In a newspaper article in 'Frankston Standard" in May 1908, it spoke of
 'Mr. N. JACOBS who was returning to Mauritius on the ship "C.J.S." belonging to the family firm in which he is a partner, after a very pleasant holiday at his home in Mornington, and that he enjoyed it so much he intended returning often'. 
I have tried in many different directions - Jewish Historical Society, State Library of Vic. who checked indexes of Deaths Vic. to 1984, SA to 1940, NSW to 1945, Probate Vic. 1900-59, Vic. 1906-49; no Jacobs in Various Indexes such as Main Cat., Manuscripts, Australiana, Biography, the Cyclopedia of Vic.  The Public Records Office has many Jacobs going back and forth to Mauritius, including some of the sons of Charles Jacobs, travelling on firm's "CJS".  Various "Mrs. Jacobs" but cannot identify if Catherine is one of them.   
Mauritius contacts have not found deaths of either from 1900 on.   
Perhaps they could have married in Wales or England - Catherine was born June qtr 1842, chr. 18 Sept., 1842, Trevethin, Monmouth, England. dau. of John Wilkinson and Margaret Jones. 
 Have found a Catherine Wilkinson (age 19) on ship "Art Union" from Plymouth, Devon, arriv. S.A. on 22 August, 1864, Adelaide.
Her younger sister Margaret came out in 1863 age 16, and married in Adelaide age 17 in Dec. 1864.  I thought Catherine could have come out for her sister's wedding.   
This is a very long Post.  The moderator will probably divide it up into two.    Ruth

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

seems to be quite a bit of supposition in this

Catherine was born June qtr 1842, chr. 18 Sept., 1842, Trevethin, Monmouth, England. dau. of John Wilkinson and Margaret Jones. 
 Have found a Catherine Wilkinson (age 19) on ship "Art Union" from Plymouth, Devon, arriv. S.A. on 22 August, 1864, Adelaide.
Her younger sister Margaret came out in 1863 age 16, and married in Adelaide age 17 in Dec. 1864.  I thought Catherine could have come out for her sister's wedding.   

Do you have this Art Union Entry? Catherine Wilkinson is not an unusual name. Are you sure Catherine was ever in Adelaide. I note by this arrival you mention, this Catherine is aged 19. Your Catherine would be 22. You make comments such as "a Catherine Wilkinson"  "I thought Catherine could have come out for her sister's wedding."  Do you have Margaret's marriage cert? Was Catherine a witness or do you have any records of her ever being in Adelaide?

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
The Catherine WILKINSON who arrived on the Art Unionon the 22nd August 1864 was an Assisted Passenger.

Series Id:GRG35/48

Records relating to official assisted immigration - Crown Lands and Immigration Office

Consignment/Sub-Series:00001
Official assisted passage passenger lists     Unit:13
Official assisted passenger lists, 1864

WILKINSON  Catherine List No 64/5    1864  Volume 13                 

64/05     Art Union    22 Aug 1864     Arrived Pt Adelaide  From    Plymouth   

There is also another Catherine WILKINSON who emigrated as an Assisted Passenger in 1864 and may have been travelling with an Elizabeth WILKINSON.

Just in case you haven't the marriage cert and wish to order one.

PITCHFORD Richard  23 years  Status Not known  Father Francis PITCHFORD
WILKINSON Margaret 17 years  Status Not known  Father John WILKINSON
3 Dec 1864
At Res of Mrs Fadges Kapunda   Kap 60/65

Would the marriage have been arranged so far in advance for a 17 year old, to allow time for Catherine to travel to Australia and then wait another three months for actual ceremony?

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9643178?searchTerm=woodcliffe
includes Title details ie Allotment Numbers, Section etc, which you could follow up if you wished.

Have you all the following
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

JACOBS Mrs 33 years Feb1898  C J S Foreign    321   001
JACOBS Mrs 43 years July 1902 C J S Foreign   358   002
JACOBS N 60 years Jan   1908    C J S Foreign   401   003
JACOBS Mr N 60 years Jan1908 C J S Foreign   401   001

I have done a little research on Charles JACOBS.  It appears he married in Adelaide and fathered 11 children in SA. He died at Albert Street, East Melbourne in 1886 [notice in Argus but not processed as yet]  He is buried with wife Elizabeth at the Melbourne General Cemetery.  I have a transcription of his headstone but you may already have that. I have more on Charles JACOBS but not really relevant to your current search for Catherine and Mr N.

The eldest Nathaniel b. 1847 in Gawler, SA.  Is it a coincidence that the Mr N aged 60 in 1908 was b. 1847/8?  How do you know it is a shipping record for Catherine's husband?

Have you considered that the "N" may be the initial of his second given name?  However none of the 11 children born in SA have a 2nd given name commencing with an "N".

Have you located Catherine on any census in England?  Perhaps her marriage to Mr N JACOBS was her 2nd marriage :-\

I note other information you have on Catherine on other family history forums including at one stage that her husband's name was Jaque.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 09 02:21 BST (UK) »
A newspaper article notes his return to Mauritius on same ship in May 1908, and states that he is a 'partner' in the family firm of Charles Jacobs & Sons.  In spite of intensive research, both within Australia and to contacts in Mauritius
Ruth

Mr N wasn't a partner in 1886 prior to the death of Charles.

South Australian Government Gazette    8 April 1886      Page 726

Dissolution of Partnerships.

Notice is hereby given that Charles Jacobs has this day retired from the partnership carried on for some time past at Melbourne, Adelaide and Mauritius by us the undersigned under the firm "Charles Jacobs & Sons" and that the business will henceforth be carried on by Messrs. Michael Charles Jacobs, John Jacobs and Samuel Joshua Jacobs.

Dated 31st March 1886 -
C. Jacobs
M.C. Jacobs
S.J. Jacobs
J. Jacobs.

Witness. D. Braham, Solicitor, Melbourne.

Cando