Author Topic: Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1872  (Read 7847 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1872
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 October 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I have family who were in Blaina Aberystruth in 1861 and have not been able to find them either.  Someone on the Monmouthshire board (or maybe the Yahoo Monmouthshire group- which you may find useful) told me that large lots of 1861 in that area have been lost  >:(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if it is relevant but from newspaper shipping lists

a Mr WILKINSON travelled from Adelaide to Mauritius aboard the SARAH departing 13 Feb 1868. There is no further information.

a Miss WILKINSON travelled from Adelaide to Mauritius "In the Saloon" aboard the YARRA departing 7 Oct 1887. There is no further information.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 November 21 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

nothing much to report from the passenger lists I am afraid.

I could find no sign of Margaret arriving in SA, nor of any of them leaving SA

Passenger List from the ART UNION arriving 22 Aug 1864

WILKINSON Cathe, single  aged 19 a servant from Monmouth

Passenger List OCEAN CHIEF arriving 7 Apr 1864

WILKINSON Cathe single aged 21 a servant from Monmouth
WILKINSON Eliz single aged 18 a servant from Monmouth

Hi Ruth,

seems to be quite a bit of supposition in this

Catherine was born June qtr 1842, chr. 18 Sept., 1842, Trevethin, Monmouth, England. dau. of John Wilkinson and Margaret Jones. 
 Have found a Catherine Wilkinson (age 19) on ship "Art Union" from Plymouth, Devon, arriv. S.A. on 22 August, 1864, Adelaide.
Her younger sister Margaret came out in 1863 age 16, and married in Adelaide age 17 in Dec. 1864.  I thought Catherine could have come out for her sister's wedding.   

Do you have this Art Union Entry? Catherine Wilkinson is not an unusual name. Are you sure Catherine was ever in Adelaide. I note by this arrival you mention, this Catherine is aged 19. Your Catherine would be 22. You make comments such as "a Catherine Wilkinson"  "I thought Catherine could have come out for her sister's wedding."  Do you have Margaret's marriage cert? Was Catherine a witness or do you have any records of her ever being in Adelaide?

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:38 BST (UK) »
Still re-working on these people!!
(I've just turned 94 but still got the itch!!)
Nathaniel JACOBS  was ostensibly born around 1848 (probably in South Australia), as he was 60 in 1908, when returning to Mauritius from wedding in Mornington of Kate PITCHFORD. *I think he may have died around 1908-1910, as the Charles Jacobs' "Family Hotel" was sold in Curepipe, Mauritius in 1908 to a Miss Wiehe; and Nathaniel & Catherine JACOBS' home "Woodcliffe" in Mornington was sold in 1910 to the Tolhursts. (Catherine JACOBS's sister Margaret PITCHFORD ALSO died in 1910, so probably another reason for the "holiday property" to be sold).  I presume Catherine returned to live in Mauritius around then, but again, no records found yet...of her death later or indeed of Nathaniel's death - possibly in 1908-1910?

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine WILKINSON/N. JACOBS m. poss. South Australia around 1868-or later.
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:44 BST (UK) »
Kris, to answer your very much earlier queries -I think the later shipping entry of Catherine & Elizabeth Wilkinson is correct; the sisters would have come for wedding in 1868 of younger sister Margaret. Her wedding was at "Mrs. Fadyges residence" and certificate shows both Fadyges were witnesses.

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:49 BST (UK) »
Wedding in S.A. was 1864 - not 1868!

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile