Author Topic: William Dent Esq  (Read 33647 times)

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Dent Esq
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Have attached my website to this account (look in column on left).
(Does the name "Bronny" ring a bell)  ;)

Cheers
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

You might like to have a look at my website as well. It was the South Australia Company which first prompted my idea to look amongst the merchant Dents for possible links, which, along with a record of a contribution to the Crosby-Ravensworth church, brought me to Sir William Dent Esq.

I don't think we are related to your branch, but there is always a chance. The lines I traced from Mauld's Meaburn all seemed to die out. I would really like to find the other lines, although I believe Anthony Dent moved to the US. It would be your line and John Dent MP that may yield fruit, if any.

Cheers
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline fleurieufam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 June 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there Bronny! , yes the penny did drop, after posting my comment I had a good look at your other posts and realised it must be you, or another first cousin named Bronwyn....

Was thinking when I last saw you, must be about 20 years ago I reckon?? At the Grenfell property. Have a photo of our families having a picnic in the bush.

Checked out your website, you've done quite a bit of work!! and still going I'm sure.

It's amazing to me how many little rabbit trails can lead off when researching family history, and all very interesting to follow, but lots of trails seem to quickly reach a 'dead end'.

It seems both sides of my family crossed paths in this region in the mid 1800's, my dad's mum was a Henderson, and the family took the same route as the Dents from Adelaide, to Yankalilla, to the South Coast of the Fleurieu, at around the same time, although some of the Hendersons ended up in Victoria, where my Dad's from.

Another freaky thing was to find that my wifes ancestors came to Australia on the same ship, the 'Joseph rowan', as our Burgar clan!!, on the same trip!!

Hope you're doing well, would like to know more of what you've been up to the last 20 years,

If you ever want to contact me, my email is

Stephen
Moderator Comment:  Email address removed.  Please use our personal message system to exchange such information

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 June 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwyn,

Was William Owen Dents Wife Eleanor?

FreeREG has this Extracted Marriage;

William DENT, Bachelor of Foleshill
Eleanor BEASLEY, Spinster of Foleshill
10 October 1831, St Lawrence, Foleshill, Warwickshire
Witnesses;
Joseph DAVIS
Sussannah TOWNSEND

Trish :)

EDIT;
OOPS I see you have that from your Website!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 June 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish,

I did have some of the information, but I didn't have the witnesses' names, so you have helped me out. Joseph Davis may have been Eleanor's grandfather, or a cousin or uncle, and Susannah would probably be her sister, or perhaps her mother if she had remarried. Eleanor's father died quite young, but I haven't been able to find his death record yet.

Regards
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 June 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,
Will email you. Have lots to ask you and catch up on.
Bron
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline historyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Teaching the Past to the Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Flass,

Since it seems like you figured out how the William Dents match up, is there any chance that you can tell me which one married Louisa Blunt (md abt 1786), dau of Sir Charles Wm Blunt?  I'd like to be able to match him to the appropriate directory listings for residential/occupational purposes.

In case you are wondering, I'm not related to the Dents, but their family figures into the research for my PhD.

Cheers!
Historyn
Searching a WIDE assortment of names of families whose female relatives attended the Bar Convent school in York during the 18th-19th centuries. Please contact me if you have catholic relatives who might have attended.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Historyn,

This may be a little help;
Louisa BLUNT was the daughter of Sir Charles William Blunt, 3rd Bt. and Elizabeth PEERS.
She married William DENT. She died on 9 March 1833.
William Dent lived at Brickendonbury, Hertfordshire, England.
(Source www.thepeerage.com)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline historyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Teaching the Past to the Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Trish,

Thanks for your quick reply!  Unfortunately, that's about as far as I'd gotten, too; at this point, I'm trying to determine if that Wm Dent is one of the WDs listed in the 18th century directories at Battersea Rise, Wandsworth Common, Clapham, or other London-area addresses, or they are all one in the same.  I'm particularly interested to learn if he is simply a "gentleman" and landowner, or merchant and landowner; if the latter, then what he dealt in.

Cheers,
Kathy
Searching a WIDE assortment of names of families whose female relatives attended the Bar Convent school in York during the 18th-19th centuries. Please contact me if you have catholic relatives who might have attended.