Author Topic: Collins family  (Read 33166 times)

Offline Emily V C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collins family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 31 December 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Barney i have left you a message on your email account

Emily Collins

Offline garyjmobey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 March 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
You say, as far as you are aware, Mobey isn't a traveller name, but have a look at this traveller "Moby" family in 1881, in neighbouring caravan is the Light family (and in the Fulham area where Amy Mobey's birth was registered) -

RG11/72 Folio 32 Page 11
Caravan, Victoria Yard, Garden Row, Fulham, London

John Moby 21 General Dealer Middlesex Fulham
Betsy 22 Kent
Amelia? 8mo Middlesex Fulham

In 1871, John is with his parents John and Amelia, and siblings Caroline, Alfred, William and Riley, at 5 Melson? Street, Fulham (his dad John is Chair Caner and mum Amelia is a Hawker) RG10/67 Folio 90 Page 39 (Alfred Mobey married Emily Bone in Fulham 1884)

ps. Riley Mobey died Sept quarter 1874 age 4 Brentford 3a 57

I know this is likeley to be a bit late
but from my grandad Mobey's father (great grandad ?) and back
all the mobey's are Gypsies

and John  is common (at least 1 John Alfred) and I think an Amy too

- Gary John Mobey

Offline charsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 April 10 02:38 BST (UK) »
I have an extensive tree featuring a large number of the travelling families of the South but I have hit a total brick wall with the Collins line and I would really appreciate any help at all.   My great-grandfather was Leonard Collins  1899-12 Dec 1968. I know his father was also Leonard but I don't know his mother's name.  Can anybody please help?

My grandfather was Leonard Collins, not your Leonard Collins, though they could be taken for twins going by your photograph... He was born Coates but used the name collins because he got banned from driving. He did scrap metal and horses. He came from the colnbrook/slough area and married (not legally) my granny June. They had 7 girls who were all very young when my grandfather passed away in (I think) 1971 on either christmas day or boxing day when they were living in west drayton midlesex. He is buried in Horton near Slough.

Offline RankGorger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 May 11 03:08 BST (UK) »
Parents Edward Dixey and Sarah Eastwood.

Nel, I am extremely interested in everything you know about these two. I believe they had a child who was called Cinementy (or some variant) - I'm her descendent and I cannot find anything about her! Could you shed any light?

Offline alisonjogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Edward & Sarah did have a Cinementa Dixie born about 1897.

I just thought you might be interested that I have come across another Cinementa: Emanuel Hearn b abt 1843 Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, England  married Cinementa/Sinementa/Cinamenti/Leander Hearn born about 1841 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire.

Cinementa died 1894 abt Age: 53 Death. Buried on Nov 10th in Ruislip. London. The vicar with amazing sense has noted on the register page at the bottom all her other names: Cenementi or Ceneminte or Sinamenti or Leander. See baptism no 739 (which was daughter Amy's baptism in April 1875). At Amy's baptism he had cross referenced it with the Baptism of Britannia to Emanuel and Cinementa Hearn, saying that it was the same mother.

(Other Children - Siblings of Elizabeth Lucy Hearn (below)
Mary Ann Hearn 1864 – 
Myrence Marrenny Mirena Hearn 1868 – 
Joseph Hearn 1870 – 
Brittania Hearn 1873 – 
Amy Hearn 1875 – 
Methusalah Hearn 1878 – 
Bertie Hearn 1880 – 
Hannah Hearn 1884 –
Britannia was baptized on 2 Feb 1873 in Ruislip to Emanuel and Cinementa Hearn.
Joseph was born April 27th 1870 and bapt May 1st in Ruislip to Emanuel and Sinamente Hearne.
Amy was bapt 4 April 1875 in Ruislip to Emanuel and Leander Hearne.

Offline alisonjogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Collins family/Dixies
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
Nel, you said 'Philip and Councellete had siblings Lydia,Patience,Britannia,Leonard,James and Anna.I have partners for most if you need them. Parents Edward Dixey and Sarah Eastwood.'
I would be interested to see what partners you have for them.

There are several varying lists of children, I think all the possibles are:
Another list of children:
Edward Dixie 1871 – 1945 (bapt 29 Nov 1871), Sarah Ann Dixie (bapt ? Greenwich St Alphege )
Philip Dixie 1873 – 1942 (married Maud Ellla Eastwood 24/12/1894 at St Andrew's Earlsfield.)
Lydia Dixie 1874,  Councelette Dixie 1876 (m. Job Hearne), Patience Dixie 1878, Britannia Dixie (m Henry Smith 4 Jun 1900 Christchurch,  Battersea) 1880 – 1963, Leonard Dixie 1886 – 1943 m. Britannia Deacons. Anna Dixie 1889, Possibly a James as well.
thanks
alison

Offline Isadora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 July 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
You say, as far as you are aware, Mobey isn't a traveller name, but have a look at this traveller "Moby" family in 1881, in neighbouring caravan is the Light family (and in the Fulham area where Amy Mobey's birth was registered) -

RG11/72 Folio 32 Page 11
Caravan, Victoria Yard, Garden Row, Fulham, London

John Moby 21 General Dealer Middlesex Fulham
Betsy 22 Kent
Amelia? 8mo Middlesex Fulham

In 1871, John is with his parents John and Amelia, and siblings Caroline, Alfred, William and Riley, at 5 Melson? Street, Fulham (his dad John is Chair Caner and mum Amelia is a Hawker) RG10/67 Folio 90 Page 39 (Alfred Mobey married Emily Bone in Fulham 1884)

ps. Riley Mobey died Sept quarter 1874 age 4 Brentford 3a 57

I know this is likeley to be a bit late
but from my grandad Mobey's father (great grandad ?) and back
all the mobey's are Gypsies

and John  is common (at least 1 John Alfred) and I think an Amy too

- Gary John Mobey
Hi Gary
My great grandfather was John William Mobey who married Elizabeth Hearne.

Offline Isadora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 July 15 05:47 BST (UK) »
Catone,

many thanks for all this.I hadnt seen the 1871 Collins entry,so that takes me a bit further.

The Moby entries are very intresting.Ive had a look round,and there are lots of travelling Mobeys,but this is the first time ive come across them.

The 1881 entry for Amelia,daughter of John and Betsy looks a very tempting candidate,the only thing thats putting me off is my Amys born 1876,this one is born 1880.

But then theres a registration for 1876 in that area.

Why would they have given their daughters age as nearly one if she was in fact five.And could they have done that?Would the enumerater have needed to see her?Im not really sure how it worked.

One clue is that John and Betsy didnt marry until Dec Quart 1879.This would have put there daughters  birth just after their marriage.

Would birth before marriage,and at 16 years old,have been frowned on then?

And would they have cared what the enumerator thought?

All these things im wondering about at the moment.

Betsys maiden name was Hearne,a well known traveller name.Ive been unable to find a Betsy or Elizabeth under any Herne variation who fits a traveller profile.

There were lots of traveller Hern/es in Kensington at that time as there was a large encampment at Notting Hill,even a Betsy Hern born 1866,but shes still with parents in 1881,so i keep searching for her,will post seperatly

John Mobeys wife was Amelia Huxley a/m/j 1859 kensington.Cant find anything that looks like her either.If Huxleys a traveller name its another ive never heard of.

Theres a 1901 entry for a William Mobey born 1870 Middlesex travelling hawker with several kids born Tunbridge Wells where my Frank Collins/Amy were married.Im wondering if this is Johns brother,though the age is four years different.

Some of the other travellers there are Davis.Caroline Moby married a Henry Davis,hawker.

Im going to have another trawl round now,any more thoughts and assistance greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,nel.
Hello
I'm related to the Mobeys and am happy to help with any information if I can.
 John William Mobey was my great grandfather. He was born March 1st 1860 in Shepherds Bush London and died Oct 12th 1930 in Brisbane Australia (where I am). He married Elizabeth Betsy Hearne b 1859 d 1908. They lived in Fullham for quite some time before emigrating to a Australia. He was the son of John Alfred Mobey and Amelia Oxley Huxley. His siblings were Caroline b 1862, Alfred b 1863, Thomas b 1865, Rhoda b 1868, Riley b 1870, James b 1872, Rosina b 1874, Frederick b 1875 and Amy b 1876. John Alfred Mobey b 1842 Shepherd Bush d 1912 Fullham, London was the son of Alfred Mobey b 1820 Cowley, Middlesex d 1887 London and  Caroline Brewer b 1824 Hammersmith d 1921 Fullham. Amelia Oxley Huxley was the daughter of William Oxley Huxley 1820 - 1895 and Caroline Shoesmith 1823-1887. Alfred Mobey was the son of John Moby 1787-1847 and Sarah Shelton. John Moby was the son of Richard Mobey 1760 -1826 and Ann Cox 1766.
Hope that bit of info helps. If you like go to ancestry.com and you can access my public tree. Quelch-Harrison.
Kind Regards
Doreen

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 July 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Collins family marrying into my line and this Collins family were Kent/Sussex based.

In the 1901 Census they are in a Caravan in Field in Ashford Kent but no other families are with them

Thomas Collins   40 1861 Icklesham Kent. Licensed Hawker
Mary Collins   41 1860 Hartford Kent. Licensed Hawker
Tom Collins   16  1888 Portsmouth Hampshire
Frank Collins   12 1889 Southborough Kent
Janette Collins   10 1891 Crowborough, Sussex
Rosey Collins   8 1893 Hadlow, Kent
Robb Collins   6 1895 Southborough Kent
Mary Collins   2 1899 Maidstone Kent

In the 1911 census the family are in a Gipsy Caravan, Colebrooke Road, High Brooms, Southborough

Thomas Collins   51 1860 Sussex Horse Dealer
Mary Ann Collins   51 1860 Colchester
Robert Collins   17 1894 Southborough, Kent Assists Father
Rosia Collins   18 1893 Hadlow Domestic
Mary Ann Collins   12 1899 Southborough Kent
Esther Collins   9 1902 Maidstone,  Kent

Robert Collins and his sister Rosie married into my family via the Willett family

Robert Collins married Nellie Willett 1912 Rye Sussex
Rosie Collins married Benjamin Willet 1913 Rye

Nellie and Benjimen were the children of Noah Willett 1848 Sussex and Reyner Willett (nee Deacon) 1855 Rumboldswyke Sussex.

Do not know if this is the same Collins family you are looking for

Paul
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset