Author Topic: Thomas/Evans Llanfair Clydogau  (Read 7516 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas/Evans Llanfair Clydogau
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
I have been passed the information from a family bible.  Some of which makes sense with facts I have already collected but some I cannot seem to verify.  I am fairly sure the area is Llanfair Clydogau because later censuses list children as being born in this area. The dates I have are:

Rachel Thomas born 25 Jan 1837
Ann Thomas born 1 Feb 1842
Margaret Thomas born 15 Sept 1844
Mary Evans born born 18 Dec 1828

I have found censuses in 1851 and 1841 which seem to connect them together with a mother Ann Thomas born around 1807 and a David Thomas born around 1816 but I cannet seem to find any marriage  between an Ann (possibly evans) and a David Thomas.  I am not sure where to go from here. If anyone has any ideas would be very grateful.  thanks Sara

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas/Evans Llanfair Clydogau
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
There was a lead/silver mine or mines in Llanfair Clydogau at that time so I think you are right since Ann Thomas is described as a miners wife in the 1851 census. Also, one of the daughters was born in Cellan which is just down the road (perhaps the grandmother was living there?) Have you managed to track the marriage (which I presume was pre the 1837 watershed)?  Do you live near the National Library Wales, in which case you could check out the marriages in Llanfair C. and also Cellan church around the time. I notice that the youngest child on this census is described as daughter, but has the surname Evans. DOB given as 1850.  You might be able to get a copy of the birth cert which would give parents names and address - unfortunately there are two Elizabeth Evans's in the Lampeter record for 1850 but there is only one Ann Thomas birth registered in Lampeter in 1842.

Does the family bible give any record of whereabouts of the births etc ?  Your informant may just not have thought to pass the info on.

Best wishes,
Jen

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying jen,

I think the answer probably does lie in a visit to the National Library of Wales unfortunately it isn't local so it will have to be one of those trips when and if I get the time. 

Since posting I have spoken to other relatives from the same branch of the family and they believe the marriage between David Thomas and Ann ? was 1835 but could give me no futher details.   I feel it is possible that Ann was a widow ie ann Evans and that Mary and another daughter Elinor (1851 census) are children of that first marriage.  I also think it is possible one of these daughters is the mother of Elizabeth Evans b1850.  the entry on the census is extremely difficult to read and it is almost as if the census taker had some difficulty establishing the familial relationships especially as the head of the household was not present on the face of the census.   Rachel Thomas is I believe my gr gr grandfather and had a son David Thomas my gr grandfather.  It is from this family the bible descended.

I can trace Rachel and two of her sons through to 1911.  Although the missing 1861 census for the area is unfortunate.  Many thanks for your help.
sara

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sara

I am planning to go to Aber tomorrow, and if time I will have a look at the LLanfair and Cellan registers around 1835.  Can't promise !

J

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
That would be fantastic I couldn't thank you enough.  I can't see me getting there any time soon. thanks sara

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I did look, but I found nothing in marriages or births around, say 1834 to 1839 - in either Cellan or Llanfair Clydogau churches.  The surname Thomas was also thin on the ground, and also found very few miners. 

Possibly they were married in chapel or married elsewhere.  If Rachel is recorded pre-1837 registry requirements then probably the rest of her siblings must be on record somewhere. 

The IGI batch numbers show a Rachel Thomas was christened in Llanfair Clydogau on 21st Feb 1837, father David Thomas, Mother Anne Thomas
which looks very much like your gg grandma.

THis is the link:-
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500176343117&lds=1&region=2&regionfriendly=&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

Or go through the IGI batch numbers general Cardigan pages.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCardigan.htm

Best wishes
J

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for looking even if nothing was there at least it has shown me where not to look so for that I am really grateful.  I will look on the web site you suggested.  Thans again
sarenid

Offline skills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a link to Ann Thomas born 1st feb 1842 in llanfair.
She was married to John Thomas in about 1877 and lived in 1 Martin Srteet Clase llangyfelach. He was a joiner and was born in 1857 ( 5 or so years younger than Ann )and his census returns made him born in Llanddeusant Carmarthenshire. They were the parents of my grandmother and they moved to the Rhondda by about 1833. I have a lot of information after 1881 but I can't find any link to a marriage or any information about Ann and Thomas before 1881.
Ann puts her birth place as Cardigan llanfair but until now I have had no luck. I assumed her surname was not Thomas but it seems likely it was. Any more information would be welcome
Thomas, Jarman, Middleton, Jenkins, Rees
llandeilofawr, llanidloes, Trefeglwys, Ystradafodwg

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skills,
If the two ann thomases are the same then I have found census returns for 1851 and I think 1871 (Ann is a working from home by this time apparently as a servant so one can never be totally sure).   The census return that almost certainly refers to my Ann Thomas is the one of 1851.  The reason I have followed this through to 1871 is that at that point I think ann thomas is living/working for her half sister eleanor Morgans nee Evans in Llanfair.   The census of 1861 in this area was damaged/illegible so is not available which make the search unfortunately considerably more difficult because you end up jumping 20 years rather than 10!

I have found the 1881 census you refer to but a more interesting one is the 1891.  This clearly states John Thomas as being born in Llanddeusant and Ann thomas as being born in Llanfair. Furthermore the birth year for Ann is far more accurate being clearly listed as 1842.  By this time John Thomas is a miner.  There are two children Margaret and Herbert and they are living at 34 Brook Street Ystradyfodwg.
Does this fit in with any of your research?
regards Sarenid