Author Topic: British army in Ireland  (Read 4984 times)

Offline WalterR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
British army in Ireland
« on: Monday 21 September 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi  W.J.D. Pryce of Gordon Highlanders married in Donore Ireland to Joan(Jane) Catherin McEwan on 6th Jan 1897. Joan was born in Ireland in 1879, her father William? was in the British army stationed in Ireland. I am particularly interested in the father and his regiment.
W J D Pryce Born Welshpool 1865, educated St Andrews Scotland, served in 92nd Gordon Highlanders (1887-1901). Was equipment officer in Royal flying Corps. (1912), Married at Donor Dublin 1897

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British army in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter

Surviving army records for men discharged before the end of 1913 are original documents in Kew. Findmypast will be be putting them online by 2011. How they are filed, and whether or not you need to know the man's regiment depends upon the actual period.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If his papers do not survive you can follow his service in the muster books (WO12 and 16). But you need to know the man's unit to research these. Finding him in the census, or on the birth certificates of his children (while he was serving) will often tell you his regiment. And the location of the latter will help in finding his regiment.

Do you have the Pryce - McEwan marriage certificate? Knowing how Joan's father is described might help.

Ken

Offline WalterR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
I would like to get a copy of their marriage certificate. How would I go about this considering both are UK citizens and the marriage is in Ireland? The army notification of the marrage states it was in Donore Presbyterian Church Dublin on January 6th 1897 and witnessed by William Joseph McEwan. Are the census of British army personnel in Ireland recorded by the Irish or by the British Army?

Walter
W J D Pryce Born Welshpool 1865, educated St Andrews Scotland, served in 92nd Gordon Highlanders (1887-1901). Was equipment officer in Royal flying Corps. (1912), Married at Donor Dublin 1897

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
Ireland was part of the U.K. until the 1920s. Index to Irish civil registrations is online (free)-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Search for bride and groom separately, then cross-reference results for matching details.
Order certificate from GRO giving the following details- names, year/quarter, registration district, volume and page numbers
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline WalterR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
There is no record of either the marriage or birth of Joan in Ireland on this site

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
looks like a possible marriage for W.J.D. Pryce  on the Civil Index :

Name: Walter D Pryce
 Registration district: Dublin South
 quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1897
 volume: 2 / page: 635

I dont see a cross match at the moment to Joan(Jane)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Could this be Joan?
Jane Catherine McEvan born 24 Jan.1879 Co.Kildare, Ireland
daughter of William McEvan & Grace Rider
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
some info on the possible place of marriage..

in Thom's directory of 1894 a Presbyterian Church is listed next door to Wellington Barracks (later Griffiths Barracks, now a college) on South Circular Rd, Dublin. The ministers name is Rev. J.M. Hamilton A.M., it looks like his residence is called Donore. The block of houses just to the west on South Circular Rd is named Donore Terrace.

This would be in the Dublin South registration district  mentioned on the marriage index detail posted earlier.

edit: the same directory mentions that one of the unit's stationed in Dublin Command area at the time is : '2 Bn. Gordon Highrs. '

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline WalterR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it looks like the right person . Are you using familysearch to get Walter's marriage details? I get a blank when I try. I usually use Ancestry but get no matches for either birth or marriage details either.The army notification is headed Donore, S.C Road, Dublin. The minister is J.M.Hamilton the license is by Rev T.H.Chapman (Chaplain) the record was entered into the 2nd  Gordon Highlanders records. It looks like Jane's birth, as her father was William and mother was Grace although this is unconfirmed. Do you have the description so that I can get her birth certificate.

Walter