Author Topic: Nottingham's General Cemetery  (Read 14382 times)

Offline boothroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham's General Cemetery
« on: Monday 21 September 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
has anyone any information as to how to locate a grave in this cemetery please?  We have tried the council but they returned the cheque saying they can't help, the records have now moved to Wilford Hill and a map of graves was not made.

We are trying to locate grave 20.119 which has our greatgrandmother Elizabeth Booth buried in it. died 1909.  We have spent hours up there but are no closer to finding it.  Has anyone any idea which part of the graveyard this number may be in ???
Thank you for any help
Ann

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham's General Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann, not sure who you tried at the council or if this is any help. It says the records are now held at Bulwell (Northern cemetery.

http://www.geocities.com/whittakergen/notts/cems/contact.htm

Good luck with the search.

Skewy

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I believe that all the records for the General Cem are held at the Nottingham Archive.  Somewhere I have a plan of the grave yard, though it is not very helpful, but I will try and locate it, and get back to you.

I have had the same problem in the same grave yard.  My family are there but they never had a grave stone, so.... I know the rough area, but I have to accept that I doubt I will ever get much closer.  I will PM you.

When I contacted the grave yard, and told them what I had found, they did offer to go and put some tape up marking what they thought was the "plot" but I got the feeling that they too were being a bit vague. So I just imagine!!

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline boothroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies, Bulwell no longer deal with this cemetery, everything is dealt with at Wilford Hill and the recent letter came from them.  Apparently the member of staff who had some details has left and any records he may have made were lost.  We have been to the archives and we know she died 24th Sept 09 as we have a copy of the coroners report dated 28th Sept 1909 releasing her body and from the info know the grave number, that is as far as we get. The archive record shows her husband as owning the grave as well.  My aunt wanted to try and find the grave as it is 100 years ago since she died and they didn't know anything about her.  We do have a plan of the graveyard but it doesn't show where any graves are on it!!
The size of the graveyard makes you wonder why no plan as there are some famous names in there. Never mind we will keep trying. Thanks again :)
Ann.

Offline mandy_west123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm also trying to locate my great grandmother at the General Cemetery. I e-mailed them and was told that they could locate her if I gave the correct plot number, but it would cost £50 as someone would have to go out and measure exactly where she was. So I think it depends on who you talk to. Good luck in finding her though,

best wishes
Mandy

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Nottinghamshire Family History Society have made a CD containing 23,000 names of persons buried in the Nottingham General Cemetery. It includes a map of where the graves can be found in the cemetery (this is their own map, and differs from the one that the council had).
I remember speaking to someone at he council with regard to their map; a year or so ago - apparently there is one, but it is quite complicated.
Here is the link for the CD:
http://www.nottsfhs.org.uk/shop/shoppage2.htm
If you do not want to purchase the CD I believe they will also do a search for a particular name, for a small fee.
http://www.nottsfhs.org.uk/society/homepage.htm
Hope this helps + good luck,
Paulene :)

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, as I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting this cemetary - but are the graves not in any sort of numerical order? I ask, because when I visited the Rock cemetary earlier this year - I did find that they seemed to be in a sort of numerical order.

Areas: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]

Offline boothroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 December 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lainie,
No, not a stupid question, they don't seem to be in any order.  When the weather improves we will go look again, see if we can find any reference numbers on the walls.
Thanks anyway.
Boothroyd. :)

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 December 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
My VERY limited experience with another cemetary in Nottingham - is that they do go in numerical order - at least in the sections!!!

I dont know whether the general cemetary works the same way. I have looked, but cannot find a plan of the cemetary for you!

It must be very frustrating - unless you actually LIKE looking around cemetaries like I do [my OH would pass on this, but he sees that coming with me occasionally earns him BIG brownie points!! He always takes food and a flask of coffee with him though!!]

Elaine
Areas: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]