Author Topic: COMPLETED NSW place of death name, need help with location.District of Carcoar.  (Read 5814 times)

Offline jojodyso

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
  • Off for the Holidays, Country NSW c;1938.
    • View Profile
HI
I have a death certificate from 1884 and the place of death is noted as Rising Sun, Cowra Road, District of Carcoar NSW. He is buried at Lyndhurst so he obviously died between Cowra and Carcoar, but I am can't find any place called the rising sun or cowra road, if anyone can help me with a map or where or what the rising sun is located would be greatly appreciated.
I assume it to be a name of a property, but I don't know where to find an old map of the Carcoar/Cowra region.
Thanks and Cheers
Joanna
Tree-Brighton. Kennedy-Scotland/Ireland. Day- Hampshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: NSW place of death name, need help with location.District of Carcoar.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna  :)

I found the following website which says the Rising Sun is/was a pub in Carcoar:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~surreal/NSWW/Hotels/publicans-licences-N-R.html
(scroll down to find Rising Sun on the alphabetical list).

Cheers
Prue

Offline jojodyso

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
 :D
Thank you so much I never thought it would be a pub.
Cheers
joanna

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
I suppose he might have been staying there (it probably had rooms to rent as well as being a pub) and become ill, or that he was simply passing through/nearby and was taken to the pub when he fell ill or had an accident.  What was the cause of death?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna,

I grew up in that general area, and from my recollections, the Cowra Road was the old name for what is now the Mid Western Highway from Bathurst to Cowra.   I have access to the 1870 and 1878 electoral roll for the district, so can I help you further?  I'm a descendant of the Marsh and Marshall families from that district.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jojodyso

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 02:58 BST (UK) »
I suppose he might have been staying there (it probably had rooms to rent as well as being a pub) and become ill, or that he was simply passing through/nearby and was taken to the pub when he fell ill or had an accident.  What was the cause of death?
The cause of death was cerebral Haemorrhage and Hemiplegia and the length of illness is listed as nine days, so he may have been staying there.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 03:09 BST (UK) »
http://parishmaps.lands.nsw.gov.au/pmap.html

This is a link to old maps, it can take a bit of getting used to, but I've just checked the link, and I can find maps for Cowra, Blayney and Lyndhurst in 1884.  These are all out in that district, from memory Kings Plains is nearer Bathurst than Cowra. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline craigresides

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna,

I grew up in that general area, and from my recollections, the Cowra Road was the old name for what is now the Mid Western Highway from Bathurst to Cowra.   I have access to the 1870 and 1878 electoral roll for the district, so can I help you further?  I'm a descendant of the Marsh and Marshall families from that district.

Cheers,  JM

Hi JM,

Are you related to George Marsh from Mount Macquarie (now Neville) who was bailed up by the Ben Hall gang 22 Sep 1863? If you are I'd love to hear from you. Actually, I'd love to hear from you anyay - sounds like you know a bit about the area. You can contact me via this email

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use our secur Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging email addresses and other personal personal data. Thank You.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Best for now,

CB
Vane, Burke, Cheshire (Chesher), 1860-80 Bathurst district police, bushrangers.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 04:05 BST (UK) »
CB

you need to modify your posting, scammers issues re your email address.  Do it straight away please,  I am a descendant of Thomas Henry Marsh, but I have various bits and pieces on the rest of his siblings and his forebears.  Yes, umm, Ben Hall was a good man, victim of circumstances,  buried in same cemetery as some of my rellies.

JM