Author Topic: Douglas Baptism 1828 Look Up  (Read 2136 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas Baptism 1828 Look Up
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I know from the IGI that William Johnson George Hopkins was baptised on 28 May 1828 as the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Hopkins.

Does anyone have access to the records from here for the full details please?

I have no idea why the family is on the Isle of Man at this time as the father was from Somerset and they were living in Bristol in 1821 and 1841.

However they also had another child in Liverpoolin 1827 so appear to have moved around alot. Samuel was a painter according to the 1841 census so I wonder if there was a big project going on in the Isle of Man at this time?

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Baptism 1828 Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Your   William  may  be  listed  as   born   Douglas  in  census   but   Baptism   record   on   Family   Search  is   26th 

May   1828  ---extracted  record--for   Lezayre   parish  which  is  in   north  of   island   18?  miles  from  Douglas  .It

is   a   rural  parish  including   the northern  part  of  the  town/then  village of   Ramsey on  east  coast.  There will 

have   been   a  ferry  connection   to  England   in  those   days.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your correction on that - yes I mistyped the wrong information in error.

Glad your hawk eyes spotted it!

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
there would have been irregular sailings from Ramsey to Liverpool - no steam packet until c.1835 it seems - even then it was not successful (see http://www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/sd1836/ch06.htm) - the IoMSPCo which did the Douglas/Liverpool run didn't start until 1830 but there were some earlier steam boats that called at the Island en route to Scotland
any thing with a Manx Connection