Author Topic: Jordan Dublin (All)  (Read 14231 times)

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordan Dublin (All)
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
 Hi,

I'm researching the family tree & am keen to know more about the Jordan family in Dublin.
 My grandad was William Jordan & he married Annie McDonald who recently died. William was 1 of 21 children, not all living. I know 1 brother, Thomas died aged 29 from TB. Another brother, Nicholas had a hump. Another brother, Joseph was known as Sophie for some unknown reason. He married a Lily Foyle from Carnlough Road, Dublin & they moved to England. Another brother, Paddy was a captain in the Irish Army & lived in a big house in Clontarf. Paddy had a daughter, Anna that I know of. I'd love to find her in particular.
 Thanks.

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Dublin (All)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just reading your posting on Rootschat.
I have a link to a Jordan family who lived at 1 Manders Terrace (mid to late 1800s) which I think is near Ranelagh. Mary Elizabeth Thornbury married Bejamin Jordan.
Mine link to the names Thornbury, Evans and Hawkins.
Do they ring any bells?
Kind regards
Jill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Manders Terrace is in Ranelagh south Dublin, and next to the Harcourt Street line and railway bridge, which was recently reactivated as part of the new Luas (light rail).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
I have a link to a Jordan family who lived at 1 Manders Terrace (mid to late 1800s) which I think is near Ranelagh. Mary Elizabeth Thornbury married Bejamin Jordan.

Dont know if you've already seen this, but the marriage of Benjamin & Mary Elizabeth and baptisms of several of thier children are included on www.irishgenealogy.ie

In addition to the Mander's Terrace address (1890), some other addresses in the Ranelagh area are mentioned - e.g. Oakfield Place in the 1880s .

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I notice your subject heading says "Jordan Dublin All",
I know of one Jordan connection in my own family.This is
Esther Jordan,my 2nd great grandmother who married 
Thomas Smyth(some records say Smith)in Saint James R.C,
 church Jame's street Dublin in 1869,husbands occupation
listed as "Maltser" on  daughters marriage cert in Liverpool.
Esthers fathers name listed as "Thoma" Jordan,all living at
 Basin Lane(Bason).Have not pursued this any further as yet.
                                                                   Anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you dont give an indication of the timeline you are looking at so I am not sure at what time in history you are looking for Jordans.

I am a Jordan from Dublin ( one of 8 children) - with my Jordan ancestry in Dublin going back 4 generations as follows:

William Jordan born Dublin 7 February 1940 to Lucy and Richard Jordan, Whitehall Dublin

Richard Jordan born Dublin 0 April 1912 to Andrew Bernard Jordan and Mary Hanlon of  Coles Lane, Dublin ( later Mobhi Road Drumcondra).

Richard had lots of siblings as follows:
      Joseph 1908-1975
      William 1909 - /
      Christopher 1911 - ?
      Rosie ? - 2011
      May ? -
     Marsella dies 1948
     Daniel  ? - ?
     Andrew dies 2011

Their family business was M Jordan and sons  - Furniture manufacturers of Granby Lane. Mary Hanlons family where shop owners & cab drivers - there is a connection somewhere there to the Fred Hanna shop (which was still in business when i grew up in Dublin)

Andrew Bernard Jordan born 21 June 1885 North Dublin City to Joseph Jordan and Mary laphen of Moore street / Monthjoy St, Dublin.  Their address in 1901 was North Dock.

Andrews siblings include:
       Thomas Joseph 1872
       Joseph Daniel  1874
       Mary Catherine 1875
       Kathleen Mary 1878
       Daniel John  1879
       Bartholomew John  1883 -
       Emily / Amelia Christine 1887 -
       Annie circa 1890         
      Rosanna 1892
      1 other  deceased at 1911.

Joseph Jordan born circa 1852 in Clara, Offaly married to Mary Laphen from Dublin on 30.6.1871 Procathedral, Dublin. Josephs parents were Thomas and Catherine Jordan - Ballycumber, Offaly. Mary's parents were John and Eustace Laphen, Dublin.

dont know if any of that helps but you just never know!!  It seems that the Jordan's had big families !!!

barbara

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 12 02:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a Jordan connection in my family and if anyone stumbles across them when researching  I would be pleased to hear. My Gt Grandfather was Michael Jordan approx 1842 Davidstown, Wicklow, father William farmer. Joined Dublin Metropolitan Police 1864 based various Dublin locations until 1880. In 1875 he married in Kingstown had two children and died 1883 of coma in Sir Patk Dunnes Hosp.My grandfather Michael and brother were reared with distant relatives.Gf died 1923 his brother disappeared in WW1. Cannot find any relations or leads in Wicklow.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline orourkea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
This information may be of interest - My father was an upholsterer and my mother an upholsteress and worked for a William (Bill) Jordan who had an upholstery workshop in Granby Row in Dublin city centre. He worked there in the 1940-s to mid 1950s I think and I believe Bill Jordan lived in Glasnevin a north suburb, Regards, Andrew O'Rourke

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew - this is interesting as my granddad (Dick Jordan) was a director of the company.

My dad is Bill ( william Jordan) living in Glasnevin north. ( I am one of his 8 children). He never had anything to do with the company as he became an engineer.

His dad was Richard (Dick) Jordan - a french polisher and director of their family business M Jordan and Sons - furniture manufactures of Granby Lane, Dublin - which operated until the 1970's.  His wife Lucy (nee Guilfoyle) was also originally a French polisher. They lived in Donnycarney / Whitehall until 1953 when a housefire killed 2 of their children. They then moved to Ballymun Avenue ( later renamed Glasnevin Avenue) and lived their until their deaths.

Richard had lots of siblings - listed in post above - but including a Willie Jordan ( this may be the William you are referring to?) .

Richards parents were Mary Hanlon and Andrew Jordan. The originally lived on Coles lane above their used furniture shop - with the manufacturing factory on Granby Lane. they later moved out to Mobhi Road, Drumcondra and there is some family there still I believe.

The Hanlons were an industrious family with records showing there involvement from 1880's in shop and house dealing, cab & car businesses - with a marriage to the Doyle family also involved in furntiure dealing.  Mary was the matriarch and lived to about 90. she ruled with an iron fist and it was her company - with her sons all involved in the business.  The Jordans were involved in upholstery. So a good combination of families!!

Andrew died 1941.  Mary raised the kids and the business by herself. ( strong business woman)

The business was wound up in the 70's - the advent of flat pack furniture killed the manufacturing industry. There are also rumours of one of the brothers fiddling the books and making of with profit - BUT Mary would not entertain this happening within the family - and eventually my grandfather isolated himself from them all - even though they all lived within a few km's of each other.  So despite their being millions of Jordans around drumcondra and glasnevin they had little to do with each other!! ( my dad does have some contact with a cousin or two but apparently no one wants to talk family history - too many skeletons, hardship and sadness.