Author Topic: lookup request-Henry Howse crimean war veteran  (Read 8383 times)

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lookup request-Henry Howse crimean war veteran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I have merged two different Henry's.  I must admit that the evidence for the marriage to Elizabeth was a bit thin - I see I have rated it 50% or less in my notes.   It would be useful if you could let me know whether your Henry and Elizabeth had children - I am showing 2. William b. abt 1865 and Charles Edward b. 1867.   

FWIW I did contact the Gaurds Archives and they were able to confirm that my Henry and his brother Joseph served in the Scots Guards and that both came from Cricklade.  Henry was discharged from the army in 1862 and went to work for the de Crespigny family in London. He later married Ann Holdaway in 1871 and they had 8 children together.  He died in 1908 in Brentford.

Walsh, Kilroy, Lundy, Shea, Pritchard, Tuffley, Suckley, Howse

Offline steves girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 January 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes they had 8 children that I know of, Amy Harriet, 1865, Mary Maria 1868, Henry 1870, Jesse 1872, Reuben 1873, David 1875, Elizabeth Charlotte 1878,  Sarah Jane 1880.  Mary Maria was my great-grandmother.  8-)

Offline dntetlow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Cricklade families
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Was Private Charles Howse from Cricklade too?

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 January 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Charles Howes was from Weston, Bath, Somerset.  He was born in Jan 1820 and enlisted in the Scots Fusilier Guards on 21 Dec 1841 (age given 21 yrs 11 mo.) His profession on enlistment was given as labourer. Bounty received was £4-10s-0d

5ft 10.75 inches tall, sallow complexion, Hazel eyes, brown hair.  Rank Private, reg no. 2727.
He was 'in the east' from 28 Feb 1854 and was severely wounded at the battle of Inkerman. Was also present at the Battles of Alma, Balaclava and at the seige of Sevastopol. He was awarded the medal and clasps.

He died at sea on 8 November 1855 of wounds received at Inkerman.  (the date of death is also given as 8 Nov 1854 on his papers but his record of service shows his service ending on 8 Nov 1855)

Offline dntetlow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Cricklade families
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks .... am interested in the Cricklade boys.

Do you have similar potted history for both Joseph & Henry Howse?

Also I was interested in your comment about the Hudson Bay Howse .... but thought he was from a different line?

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Here are some notes on Henry from my research notes:

4469 Pte Henry Howes - 1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Foot Guards
Enlisted on 11th January 1854.  Attested at Gloucester on 12th January 1854.  Aged 18yrs - which would make birth year 1836.
Trade on enlistment - labourer.  Height 5ft 8.5 inches, Fresh complexion, hazel eyes, dark brown hair.
'In the East' from 27 June 1854 to 4 July 1856.
Holder of Crimea war medal with 4 bars (max) and Turkish Crimea Medal.  (evidenced by photo) - Crimean War - Oct 1853 to Feb 1856
Crimea Medal Roll - 4469 Pte Henry Howes, 1st Scots Fusilier Guards confirms 4 clasps - Alma, Balaklava, Inkerman, Sebastopol. (wounded at Inkerman - contusion left arm and at Sebastopol - contusion of the head).
Also in the same battalion was a 4498 Pte Joseph Howes died 8 Feb 1855 - dysentery. (brother)
Awarded additional 1d per diem good conduct pay on 12 January 1859
Awarded additional 2d per diem good conduct pay on 12 January 1862
Listed as Officer's servant in 1861 census.
Discharged 15 April 1862 being unfit for further service due to varicose veins in the left leg.  Reported by the Regimental Board to be a very good and efficient soldier, trustworthy and sober. In possession of two good conduct badges. Awarded pension of 8d for 2 years.
On discharge intended to reside at 55 Sloane Street, London.
(in 1861 home of Caroline de Crespigny (b. Hill Hall, Essex in 1794) and her daughter Josephine (b. 1834) also a cook and housemaid. Caroline was wife of Herbert Joseph Champion de Crespigny)
Awarded deferred pension of 4d per diem by Royal Hospital Chelsea on 20 November 1888.
Awarded pension of 9d per diem from 15 January 1901 after application to the Royal Hospital Chelsea.
Pension increased to 1/6d per diem 29 May 1902

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
and here are some notes on Joseph, seperate because there seems to be a word limit on replies here.

4498 - Private Joseph Howse 1st Scots Fusilier Guards.
Enlisted 15 February 1854 at Gloucester. Received £5 bounty. Attested 16th February 1854. Signed in own hand. Gave age as 18yrs 10 mo which makes birthdate April 1935.
Height 5' 7", fresh complexion, grey eyes, dark brown hair.
Medical - fit - Dr Lovegrove, Barton St, Gloucester 16th Feb.  Re-examined London 21 Feb - fit.
Overseas -'in the East' from 27 June 1854.
Died of dysentery 8 February 1855

In 1851 census Joseph was working as a farmer's labourer.

Henry was also listed as a farm labourer on 1851 census but in 1861 he was shown as an 'Officer's Servant'.  He amrried in Sep 1871 to Ann Holdaway and had 8 children after 1871.  He had 2, possible 3 children prior to 1871 so I had assumed that he was a widower when he married Ann.  However I have yet to trace a previous marriage. 

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Weird! There does seem to be a word limit.

Henry worked as a stonemason until the late 1800's but in 1901 he was a porter working in the census office.   He died in 1908.

Henry and Joseph were related to Joseph Howse the Fur Trader through a common ancestor. They were 5th cousins twice removed.   Henry and Joseph's father was John Howse (b 1803 in Latton) my 3 x gt grandfather.

Offline howzimon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 December 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wetstone,
Not too sure if you still use this site, but I am also related to Henry Howse/Howes and would like to know which line you decend from.
I hope you find this so that I may talk directly to you at a later date.
Brian