Author Topic: MCLERAN/MCLAREN/MACLAREN - Haugh of Kilmorick- Dowally Parish  (Read 3961 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
MCLERAN/MCLAREN/MACLAREN - Haugh of Kilmorick- Dowally Parish
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all  :)

Wondering if anybody has any MacLaren/McLaren/McLeran from the Haugh of Kilmorich, Dowally Parish in their trees?

Trying to put a family together and suspect the generations of the McLaren's on this property go back at least to the early 1700's ...

I have a James McLaren (from the Haugh of Kilmorich) & Isabel Fleming  marrying in 1781
So far with 3 children born in the Haugh of Kilmorich
Jannet b. 1782
John b. 1784
Thomas b. 1787

I believe James was the son of JOhn McLaren & Elisabeth Robertson but am not sure ...

Anybody have anything to offer up  ;)
LUV

WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline donald1943

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MCLERAN/MCLAREN/MACLAREN - Haugh of Kilmorick- Dowally Parish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you're still looking, as I have only just landed on this post. I have a McLaren family tree going back to James McLaren of Kilmorich, born 1639 approx, with descendent James (1771-1853) who moved to Ballintuim from Kilmorich and married 1. Margaret Duff 2. Elizabeth Wilson 3. Elspeth Kennedy. I can trace my own line from him, and his second wife.

Any interest?

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I have McLarens at Kilmorich in 1682 and 1692.Prior to that I can only find records of the land owners but they weren't McLarens.
Can you help me,please, with a reference for the earlier McLarens back to 1639?

Offline donald1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
My "family tree" document has a heading note saying "The McLarens originated in the neighbourhood of Lochearnhead. In 1594, due to their unruly habits,they were proscribed by Act of Parliament. Hence their dispersal into Atholl and other districts. Their earliest settlement in Atholl seems to have been at Dalshian and at Kilmorich".

It then starts with James McLaren at Kilmorich - "mentioned in 1674 for non-payment of tithes - born about 1639?"

Son or nephew born about 1669, father of John born about 1699 who married Janet Graham.

Sons John and Alexander (born 1729 and 1734). Alexander's youngest son James (born 1771, died 1853) and "came to Ballintuim from Kilmorich". No other mention after that of Kilmorich, and my own distant memories stretch back to Ballintuim in the early 1950s.

Legs of family shown stretching off to Chicago, Johannesburg, Vancouver, and Pennsylvania. That's about it.

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 10 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.I'll follow it up.The tithes relate to Kilmorich originally being Dunkeld Church Lands.
The McLaurens of Dalshian were originally McGilliechallums of Balnaguard changing their name when they chartered Dalshian.Interesting that before that they were at Lochearnhead.They are mentioned in Cromwell's 1649 valuation.A McLauren of Dalshian had married Stewart of Dalguise's daughter.
The link between Balnaguard and Kilmorich is that both were wadsetted by Menzies of Comrie.
Patrick McLauren of Kilmorich was there at 1682 married to Marjorie Scott.
Patrick and James were there at 1692 in the Hearth Tax.The widow of James, Elizabeth Campbell, was there at 1735.
Thank you once again.

Offline Motoref

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this thread .  Just reading about James MacLaren and his tithes payment and mentioned of Patrick .  My printed family tree goes as far back only to James and Patrick being mentioned also date 1674.  From there it has mentioned John and Helen MacLaren.  From there, the tree builds 7 generation.  Our line immigrated in 1910 from glasgow and lived in International Falls, Chicago, then moved to California.  Those were my grandparents Thomas McLaren and Florence (Fisher).  It was my Grandmther who hired the geneology expert that traced the family tree to James MacLaren.
My Grandfather’s brothers each immigrated to Africa, Canada, USA .  His sisters remained in Scotland except one who immigrated to Canada, then USA (Oregon/ Washington.
Any further info wold be appreciated