Author Topic: The quest for John T(homas) Dalby  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: The quest for John T(homas) Dalby
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 September 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks lizdb, very kind of you to let us know

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 September 09 16:33 BST (UK) »
Just to re-iterate, no malice or ulterior motive was intended, I just thought two threads would best serve the two seperate problems I have having with JT. :)

Offline ianau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately I can't help with the 1881 census but...
John T is my Great Grandfather, Hilda my Grandmother. John T was known as Robin in the family. I was told his birthday is 7th May 1861, died 31st March 1938. He was a gardener to Dr.Smith who lived in the big 'ouse in Linton.
He married Elizabeth Swann at Wetherby Town hall on 13th Feb.1888. The Dalby's were a religious family but John & Elizabeth's first child, Eva, was born on 9th November that year -so maybe they could get into the Town hall quicker than the church/chapel. Elizabeth died in Lincoln  on 10th March 1940 (at Hilda's) but is said to be buried at St.Oswald's Collingham.
There is a family bible somewhere in Yorkshire.
As far as I know, John grew up in Hillside Cottage but this does not appear as an identifiable dwelling in the censuses.
Hope this helps,Ian

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Wow!

Hello Ian! How brilliant to hear from you!

My gran's sister has filled me in with a lot of the details about the Dalbys (as much as she can) and so I have a few photographs of the Dalbys and of Hillside cottage, she has a lot more back at her home though. Have you seen this one of the family? (Hilda is back row, 2nd from right. JT is middle row, far left).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/leethurston/Dalbyfamilygroupshot.jpg

I have just actually ordered John T's birth certificate which states it is the 17th May, so you're not too far wrong at all!

I would be delighted to hear from you further, would you like to exchange email addresses?

All the best,

Lee

Offline ianau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the photo, I am happy to exchange addresses(see flickr below). Unfortunately I don't have much more info. for you but can give you what I have. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlewisau/ for some pix you might not have.
btw I think Thomas in the 1881 census with Charlotte, granddaughter, may be in this family-have you a proven link?. There is a discrepancy in the ages given for Charlotte in 1871 and 1881 censuses but my aunt Marjorie recalled hearing that the family was involved in "something to do with Malt"in the past, and Thomas is described as Mal(t)ster in 1881. Haven't found JT in 1881 but he would be 19 and could have left home and be working elsewhere as a live in Gardener, eg. Emma was in service in Whitwell House at the time, so it might be a needle in a haystack situation. Ian

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Ian.

I would be interested to hear anything you have, no matter how inconsequential you think it is! :)

They are lovely pictures - Lovely to see one of an older JT too. I do have some more and my Aunt (JT's grandfather) has many, including a picture of hillside cottage and more of the family. I only scanned in a few to put 'faces to names'.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live now? I am in York, as were Arthur (Dick's) daughters until they married and moved further towards York. I visited Linton though last week and found Hillside Cottage, my aunt wasn't sure whether it was still in the family?

I am in the early stages of my Dalby research but plan to spend a good few horus over the next couple of days immeresed in it. I've been tryign to follow Arthur Dalby (Hilda's brothers) WW1 action, really tricky to do but slowly getting there. :)

Are you a genealogist and how did you chance upon this post?!

All the best.

P.s. I think this makes us 2nd Cousins, once removed.  ;)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:30 BST (UK) »
P.s. I'll drop you an email, be better perhaps not to discuss any personal info on a forum.  :)

Offline Jill Baggaley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm the Grt Grandaughter of Mary Ann Dalby - JT's sister.   I have a photo of her parents and the house they used to live in in Linton.
(Not sure how to attach photos)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Lovely of you to get in touch! I think this means we're related somehow!

I do have some photo's the Dalbys but would be delighted to see if yours differ. You could send me an email? My address is on my profile.

Look forward to hearing from you.