Author Topic: 1861 Census William Spence  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1861 Census William Spence
« on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather William Spence and his wife Barbara Bailey lived in Toberagnee/Toberagnew, Co. Antrim when their last 5 children were born. The children were baptised in Lylehill. the family emigrated to Canada in 1864 so should still be in Ireland in 1861. Children are William, Jr., Finley, Margaret, Barbara, robert, Hannah, Mary, Jane, and elizabeth.
thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census William Spence
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
As far as I know the 1861 census for Co. Antrim no longer exists. See links to other census records under ANTRIM RESOURCES.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369523.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you kindly for this prompt response. Will try other means.
Peggy

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy,  From familysearch is a mixture of records offered by a submitter since 1991 and some church records. To clarify which records I list some extracts
William Spence Birth:  1834   Toberagnee, , Father:  William Spence, Mother:  Barbara Bailie 
William Spence Birth:  1805   Of Toberagnee, , Antrim, Ireland Spouse:  Barbara Bailie  Family  Marriage:  27 MAR 1832   Templepatrick Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, , Antrim, Ireland
William I. Spence Birth:  MAY 1805   , Antrim, Ireland Death:  07 MAR 1890   Arnprior, Renfrew, Ontario Marriages: Spouse:  Barbara Bailey,  Marriage:  27 MAR 1832   Temlepatrick, , Antrim, Ireland
William Spence Birth:  About 1831   Umgall, Antrim Marriages:  Spouse:  Mrs. Jane Spence, Marriage:  About 1856   Lylehill, Antrim, Ireland

From about 1860ish http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

You maybe the submitter, but trying to help anyway, good luck, Jim 
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
I was not the submitter. I do thank you very much for sending this information, especially the Griffith's Valuation as it gives the parish.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention that William Sr. had a son Finlay and I do wonder if William's father might have been Finlay as well.  Not sure.   Since son Finlay was in Canada in 1864, if there is a Finlay mentioned in that area after that, it would not be the son.
Peggy

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 09 07:54 BST (UK) »
hi Peggy, sounds interesting, I looked up Griffiths again.  That Finlay Spence living on Area 15 in 1862 in the townland of Templepatrick in the civil parish of Templepatrick. He also lived about 3 fields south of the railway station, an easy starting point to emigration.  I wonder if the landlords [ie Jane Wiley] papers exist at PRONI.
Finlay is fairly rare as a first name, suggesting that a previous generation spouse/relative might have been a Miss Finlay.
My geography is lousy, but by plotting where these parishes coincide, you might be lucky finding that although different parishes, they were close enough to be neighbours etc.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again. I would guess that this is likely Finlay the son.  Right area for sure.  Parents were married in the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church in Templepatrick.  I will see what I can find out.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline jay2401

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

Just wondering whether you knew if William Spence Jr married a Georgina Hamill in Belfast?

J