Author Topic: (COMPLETED) DAVEY Census  (Read 20742 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: DAVEY Census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 September 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Now you have thrown the cat among the pigeons.  The information about William Davey I got was via another researcher.  I have put together the later generations o.k.
Shipping records and the NZ BMD confirms Beadon Davey, and the book "White Wings" has a written account of their journey.
Beadon may of been a family name, and Charles a brother of William, there is no Charles is later generations in New Zealand.  But there are Williams, Mary's and Beadon's.
Beadon married 11 July 1848 at the Parish School, Nether Stowey.  Sorry I have not much more to go on after that date.

Cheers
Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 September 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I never trust other peoples research of my own family.   

As you already know - there is no record of a baptism on the IGI etc for Beadon so how has the other researcher got the info that his parents were William Thorn Davey and Mary Coles? 

Do NZ death certs show parents names?  If not - mothers names are not shown on English marriage certs and there is no IGI marriage for a William Davey/Mary Coles.  If the info did not come from his death cert - I would be asking questions

The 1841 Charles Davey was only 20yrs old so far more likely to be Beadon's brother than his uncle but there is no IGI entry that fits either Isaac or Charles profile

Unless the other researcher already has it - a copy of Beadon's marriage cert is needed
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 September 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Yes very true, that is why I am a bit stuck at this point.  Looks as a marriage cert has to be ordered, who would think there were so many Coles and Daveys out there.

Suzy W

And far too many to add

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:31 BST (UK) »
seems to be few Beadons. the criminal records on ancestry have Beadon Davey,  age 15. trial date 15th oct, 1844 acquittal. and Beadon Davey trial date 6th jan, 1857, imprisonment. [ just deleted my  duplicate posting]
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:34 BST (UK) »
Beadon Davey sep, q, 1849, bridgewater, somerset 10,501 and another one sep, q, 1854, bridgewater 5c, 410. and; 1861 census, nether stowey; Beadon Davey 35, Lavinia wife 30, henry, s, 11. Elizabeth, d, 9. Beadon, s, 7. Mary, J. d, 5. Harriett, d, 3. Agnes, d, 3months. all born nether stowey.somerset.

See my reply above - 1851 and 1861 details already given plus marriage details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 09 01:00 BST (UK) »
whoops, sorry. scrubbed it out, dont want to complicate things farther.got carried away. :-[
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DAVEY Census (Completed)
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 September 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting about criminal charges... I have found them to be a bit naughty in New Zealand with a number of them up on charges for petty crime.

Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline FiP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I too have been researching Beadon's parents (Beadon is my gtgtgtgf) and was delighted to find others researching the same people for a change!

I have Beadon and Lavinia's marriage certificate (incase you haven't got a copy yet) - it says Beadon's father is WILLIAM THORN (not Davey). He was a LABOURER. Beadon's mother is not given. Also, Lavinia's father is JOSEPH PALMER (also a LABOURER). They were married 1 July 1849 at the Parish School, Nether Stowey, Somerset. Beadon and Lavinia signed the certificate with a cross.

I also found Beadon in the 1851 census (as Beeton and Leveimier!). This census said he was born at Lilstock, Somerset. So I googled Lilstock and found a pile of transcribed Lilstock BMDs. Beadon was baptised at Lilstock on 18/12/1825. On the baptism record it said his parents were MARY DAVEY (no father given). Earlier in the record (1819-1823) there are four children born to EDAWARD/MARY DAVEY. Two of these children are CHARLES DAVEY (bapt 1820) and ISAAC (bapt 1823) - are these the two Beadon was living with in 1841 in Nether Stowey? Maybe.

I had a look at the marriage records and found that an Edward Davey married a Mary Coles on 19/11/1818 at Lilstock. So that explains where the name Mary Coles comes from, but it still gives us no direct link to Beadon. I wondered whether Edward Davey died before Beadon was born (and hence why he is not given on the baptism record), but the burials record for Lilstock stop at 1812. So haven't yet found this info.

Curiously, there is also an ANABELLA DAVY (no e) baptised at Lilstock in 1828 and again MARY is only listed as the parent. Is this the same Mary as Beadon's mother? Don't know. On the baptism record it appears there is another Davey family spelled DAVY - so Beadon and Anabella may not be related.

Hope this helps. To google the Lilstock records type in Lilstock registers. It should come up with a www.wsom.org.uk website. Find Lilstock (and Nether Stowey, Over Stowey) in there.

I would be keen to hear if you find more info about the mystery of Beadon's father. I cannot find a William Thorn anywhere.

Cheers, Fiona.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you.

Yes that is right about William Thorn being his father, only found that out a few weeks back.  William Thorn must of had a quick fling with Mary.  Mary's husband was Edward Davey and he died about 18 months before Beadon's arrival.

William Thorn show's in the 1851 census living in London with his wife and two daughters.

I have plenty on the New Zealand contingent if you like to send a P.M I can get your email address.

Strange as I only had contact from another relation yesterday regarding the Davey's so more the better.

Regards
Suzy W

And far too many to add