Author Topic: Burial - Jonathan Jones  (Read 2820 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Burial - Jonathan Jones
« on: Friday 25 September 09 10:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the death of my great grandfather, Jonathan Jones.   He was born around 1850 in Carno, Montgomeryshire but spent most of his life in Taliesin and later Talybont, Cardiganshire.   His occupation was tailor and his wife's name was Catherine Ann (Morgan) born around 1865 in Taliesin.   

FreeBMD shows a death for a Jonathan Jones 1931 June qtr, Aberystwyth district, 11b/86 - he died age 80.

I would appreciate a lookup of burial records for Talybont, or possibly Taliesin to confirm his place of burial.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline LindaAnneP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - Jonathan Jones
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Me again,
The info I have on Jonathan Jones. I found him and family on the 1891 Census at #8 Post Office Lane Trawscoed, Carno, Mont., pg 2 Under occupation in Welsh it says something like Heiluir which I thought meant tailer form something my Aunt Mary told me about there being this occupation in the family line. The oldest boy, Richard, was also listed as having the same occupation as his father. From the birth places of the children it looks like the family may have moved back and forth between Carno and Tallesin. I also found him on the 1851 Censu of England and Wales as a child of one, living with family in #28 Rhoslwyd, Trawscoed, Carno, Mont., Father William Jones is listed as Master Taylor as is his Grandfather, William Jones who was living with them at the time. I believe Anne Jones, his first wife died between 1882 and 1889 which might explain the 7 year gap between the 3 oldest and 2 youngest children found on the 1891 Census and that Jonathan's spouse on that census is Cathering A

I found the oldest son, Richard, on the 1901 Census in Llancnfelyn, 24, listed as son to head of the house. I think my Aunt Mary told me that this uncle to her was killed in WW1, that he lived by the sea, had 6 children, his wife's name was Bessie and they had a daughter with the same name who was only 6 when Aunt Mary left to come to Canada and that she was still corresponding with her. She said his wife never remarried. 2 Nephew's were listed on my grandfather's obituary (David William Jones) fro Aberystwyth. Mr. TI Jones and Mr. D W Jones that I suspect were Richard's sons. Do you know if this is right? I'd appreciate any info you have on this part of the family. :)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Great to hear from you, we are in fact cousins and I guess your Auntie Mary was Mary Margaret Jones born 10 Apr 1904.   Jonathan's son, Richard, was my grandfather and he and his family lived firstly in Talybont before moving to Aberystwyth.   Richard was killed at Mametz Wood on the Somme in July 1916 and is commemorated at Thiepval Memorial and on a gravestone in Aberystwyth Cemetery.   He mentions his brother David William (your grandfather) in his last letter from the front dated 8 Jul 1916.   The 2 nephews you mentioned were Thomas Isfryn Jones, my father, and David William Jones, Richard's eldest son.

I have a family tree on the internet and you can access it either by selecting the middle icon (like a house) beneath the photo to the left or by following the link http://davierj.tribalpages.com  you should come to the site entitled The Welsh Connection.

I have more information than is shown on this site and once you have a few posts on Rootschat we can send each other Personal Messages which offer a greater degree of privacy for more sensitive family information.   Incidentely the 2 photos on the Welsh Connection are of Richard Jones's wife, Elizabeth Jane, and of their 6 children on the occasion of Elizabeth Ann's (Bessie) wedding.

I look forward to finding out more about your grandfather's family, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Once you have at least 3 posts on Rootschat you will be able to send and receive Personal Messages (PMs)
I have sent you a trial message

Dave