Author Topic: Swedish/British name change 1890  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Swedish/British name change 1890
« on: Wednesday 05 May 04 23:20 BST (UK) »
 ???

I have asked this question in "immigration to UK" ... but no answers as yet.  
Has anyone any knowledge of why my Swedish Great Grandfather might have had to change his name in a British Court when emigrating (1885-1890)?  Was there some law in effect for immigrants?  His name was Trolle, the judge gave him no choice and named him "Rewers" for his new surname (Rewers actually has roots in Poland).  If not then perhaps he requested it himself; he left Sweden after a family disagreement .  He was a merchant seaman and lived in Poplar, London, marrying a British girl; she passed away and he then married her sister and immigrated to Ontario Canada.
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Swedish/British name change 1890
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 02:59 BST (UK) »
Responding to questions from Webmaster -
and thanks to the other person who replied re Swedish naming customs

1891 ... I don't know I would assume Jon Trolle had become John Rewers by that time as he married prior to 1890 and my grandfather was born 1892 in London Poplar

I will try to contact my one remaining aunt here in Canada she might know some more about it.  She is quite ill that's why I haven't ... but guess I should as soon as possible in case she does prove to be very valuable information source

I am also trying to figure out how he could have married Charlotte Liston's (my GGrandmother) sister Clara after Charlotte's death .. I can find no record of Clara Liston anywhere, Charlotte born in London Poplar, died in 1905 aged 41 years.  John and Clara married then left for Canada.  My grandfather had a younger sister who died very young, Eleanor.
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle