Author Topic: Rhoderick White - Paisley  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rhoderick White - Paisley
« on: Saturday 26 September 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Thomas Leitch White, born in Ballymena Ireland in 1874 and brought to Greenock as a baby. He married Mary Carr in Greenock in April of 1899, daughter of Roderick Carr and Mary O'Donnell.

Tom and Mary had a son born Jan 1 1900 who they named Roderick or Rhoderick after Mary's father. Little Roderick shows up in the 1901 census living with his parents in Paisley. The census gives his birthplace as Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire.

Five years later, there is no sign of Roderick and Tom and Mary appear to have separated. Not sure if they were ever legally divorced. By May of 1906, Tom had a child by, and then married, my great grandmother Lizzie Brymner - and then hopped on a boat to Canada.

Mary Carr married a George McMahon in 1911 in Glasgow, and then passed away in 1916 in Greenock. Interestingly, she lists herself as a spinster at this second marriage. Hmmm. Definitely her, same parents, same date and location of birth.

I have been back and forth through the records and cannot find a sign of what could have happened to Roderick. My presumption is that he must have passed away between 1900 and 1905 - and one assumes in Renfrewshire - either in Paisley or Greenock. However, no death registration can I locate. I'd love to know a date and location, if this is indeed what happened to him.

Anyone out there with any bright ideas or sources ?

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rhoderick White - Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 09 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary G
I couldn't see a death for Roderick on SP
but done a  general search for his birth
searched Wh*te Roderick born between 1899 and 1901
none born Dumbarton so checked Renfrewshire
and there is only one born in Paisley
I also had a look on Inverclyde site for a death in Greenock
but none shown
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 02:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking. I couldn't understand why he would have been born anywhere but within Renfrewshire, but I wonder why there was such a specific location given in the census.

My great grandfather may have been a rascal - and may even have been a bigamist, but he was a very kind and attached father (he went on to have another nine children). I can't imagine him leaving a son behind when he emigrated if the child was still alive.

M

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
I must have accessed the record for someone else at some point, but I have the Scotlands People record of the Roderick White birth - just in case you don't have it.  Date of birth 2am on 1st January 1900 at 148 George Street, Paisley. Parents listed as Thomas White, Foundary Labourer and Mary Carr, married 23rd April 1899, Greenock.