Author Topic: James Kerwick Thurles  (Read 11339 times)

Offline lynduschka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerwick Thurles
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 December 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy'
I have just noticed your posts regarding Kirby/Kerwick. My husband is a direct descendant of James Kirby and Cecelia Moran who came to Australia in 1852. Until I read your post I had never been able to find a record of their arrival even though I knew it was in 1852 and that James was from Tipperary and Cecilia from Kings County. I had also never been able to find births of their first 2 children Margaret and Patrick, but have the other five. I had absolutely no idea they had changed their names.! I am so excited, as I have been trying to find their arrival details for about 30 years and now, thanks to your post I have found it.
I have quite a bit of information on my husband's line and about Patrick . Iwould be very happy to know where you fit into this family and hopefully we can share some information. My husband is descended from James and Cecelia's son James.
Would love to hear from you.
Lynette Kirby

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 December 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn
Sent you a Personal Message. My connection is through my husband's ggf and the eldest daughter, Margaret Kerwick, who married in 1879.
Have the shipping details but have been unable to find out anything about them in Ireland.
Wendy

Offline terryirish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am great-grandson of James Kerwick from a hamlet named Glanagola (aka Glanaguile) near Thurles. This James Kerwick emigrated to the US and resided for most of his life in Trenton, New Jersey. He had 9 children and over 50 grandchildren. His birth date was 1870 so probably the next generation down from who you have mentioned here.  He also had a brother Patrick that also settled in Trenton and he had a large extended family as well. The Kerwick name is not that common. Some have said it's actually a German name but I don't know if that is true. The link below shows the name John Kerwick as a landowner in Glangola in the mid 19th century. I visited this farm with my mother over 20 years ago and we met several of the relatives including a John Kerwick and his family. We saw the old Kerwick house as well. There are several Kirwicks listed in this link as well. Not sure if Kerwick is a derivative of Kirwick or not. Anyway, I hope this helps you in your search. Perhaps we are long-lost cousins.

http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/buolick.htm

Offline lynduschka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 April 10 02:35 BST (UK) »
This sounds very promising. As you say, Kerwick is not a very common name. Certainly, it is likely that any living in Thurles in the 1800s would be related in some way. It appears to have been quite common for some members of an extended family to go to America and others to Australia. It seems quite likely that your James may have been a nephew or second cousin of our James. I don't know if there is any way of proving this - very challenging indeed. Will be in contact.

Offline historyhunt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 May 10 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I just found this site and may be able to help a bit with descendents.  My grandmother is Mary Kirby (also registered as Kerwick) and she was 4th child of Cecilia and James.  I have just started focusing on this family line (after doing a few others) so I am in the early stages in terms of finding info pre-emigration to Australia.  But if you are still interested in some Aussie descendents let me know.  Hopefully we can share what we have. I am really interested in trying to get photos and images of family and where they lived etc.
Regards
Vicki

Offline WilPowerMom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
I have descendants who are Kerwick's from the Thurles area in Tipperary (the ones who didn't emigrate to Australia).  Did you uncover anything about their siblings and their descendants while doing your research?  Thanks!

Offline Rupkirani

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
I'm so pleased to have found this thread as I also have found problems trying to find evidence of James and Cecilia's life story. I am descended from their son John, who married Philomena Savage. I've done some research on John's life. He was a butcher who lived in Hornsby NSW. His brother Patrick was a undertaker. Apart from that I know little about the family, however I'm very keen to share what I have and to find out more. Unfortunately I have no family photos.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thurles RC parish, 2 September 1850, the marriage of James Kerwick and Cecilia Moran, the witnesses were Martin Howard and Mary Laffan (left page, 4th entry up from bottom):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632770#page/44/mode/1up

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Trying to find the following in the online NLI RC parish registers, but a transcription I've seen indicates that a James Kirwick was baptised in Drom parish on 9 December 1827 for parents Patrick Kirwick and Margaret Herke(?), the sponsors were James Kennedy and Judy McGrath.