Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 223007 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
German Pork Butchers in Britain
« on: Saturday 26 September 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
       has anyone read this book, I purchased it on Amazon today but will not get to read it for another 4 weeks. Does it have the names of all German pork butchers who came to Britain, I'm looking for Christian Frederick Wall who came to Britain in the late 1890's and opened his business in Carlisle.

Regards
John  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 09:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you've seen that a Christian Frederick Wall died in 1940 in Carlisle:

http://www.carlisleshistory.co.uk/page17.htm

Also, a Christian Frederick Wall was born 1902 in Carlisle (BMD)
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Gill and thank you for your reply.

I did have Christian Frederick Wall (son) birth certificate 1902 which is where I noted that his father Christian Frederick Wall's profession, was a pork butcher - thank you.

I didn't know about that cemetry site, that is a wonderfull piece of news, as his wife Mary (nee Dixon) is also mentioned on the same head stone (375/26). Now that I have a date of they're sunset, I may now get further into my research for Christian Frederick and see if I have better success this time on the National Archives, for his naturilization papers (Mary was born in Bewcastle, Cumberland) or a passenger list and BMD.

This wee project is a labour of love, as my wife Gillian, may be one of the last of Christian Frederick's relatives living in the UK (though he did have 2 daughters Williama and Gertrude).

Thanks again Gill

Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
By the way Gill, thanks to you, I have now ordered up Christian Frederick Wall death cert, so hopefully it may assist in recording the names of his parents or his birth town in Germany

Thanks

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 09 01:51 BST (UK) »
-Hi John,
My Great Grandfather was German, and a pork butcher.  The first record of him is in Scarborough in 1896, then he tuns up in Carlisle on the 1901 census, working as a Pork Butcher (manager).  I'm having huge problems trying to find information (any) about him and I wondered if you have any information of your relatives butchers' shop in Carlisle?  It would be a wonderful co-incidence if my great grandfather worked for your relative!
Thanks

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hey Ali,

I don't have too much to go on yet, I'm waiting for a death cert to arrive (should take about 14 days), and then I will take it from there.

Also, I've ordered a book by Sue Gibbons on German Pork Butchers.

Do you want to PM me the name of you GGF and I'll see if he appears while I'm doing my research. (BTW you have to post a total of 3 posts before you can PM someone).
I would imagine at some stage that Christian Frederick Wall and your relative would know each other in Carlisle.
I will definitely be putting time into looking for this guy (He's actually my wife's GGGF) and I will post any updates or usefull tips to assist anyone

All the Best
John

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
That would be great - any info in the search for the needles in the haystacks is very welcome.  I don't have much info but more than happy to share.
Ali

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thought it would be easier just to pop the info here.  If anyone comes across any of their own research or info info with his name on it, I'd be overjoyed - like most people I'm finding it almost impossible to discover any information.

His name was Henry Cutts - he was a pork butcher/manager by profession and had been in the UK since at least 1896.  He was married to an English woman and had a very young family of 4 children. He lived in Scarborough (County of York) , Carlisle and Bishop Auckland in County Durham.  Census returns show him to be a German National and also state that he was naturalised in 1904 (though the National Archives don't have any records of this, so that might have been a fib on his behalf!)

He was interned as a civilian on the Isle of Man in WW1 - no info other than he was 'taken away' for several years.  His family did travel to the IoM, but I don't know if they ever got through the barbed wire to actually see him.

Fingers crossed,

Bongo Ali

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'll keep an eye open for him Ali

John