Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224232 times)

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #540 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the thread MrsBuckers

Our pork butcher database has information on the Kober family:

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=German+Pork+Butchers

It has John KOBER marrying Rose GANSLER in 1873. She was from Beltersrot, near Kuenzelsau in Wuerttemberg. John had a shop at 88 London Road, Sheffield at least as long as 1881-1911.

It's unlikely the Kobers were Jewish, the vast majority of pork butchers came from the area around Kuenzelsau and were predominantly Lutheran. You quite rightly point out the paradox of a Jewish pork butcher.

On a personal note, John Kober employed my aunt, Magdalena Weibrecht in 1891, just before she left for America with her future husband, Christopher Kantenwein.

Do the naturalisation papers state where John and Rose were born?
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline MrsBuckers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi RichardFunk
Thank you so much for your reply.... And so quick too!
From what I have found out so far John was my great , great, grandfather  as I recognise the address from the censuses.
My great grandma was Caroline Kober  their eldest daughter- who married David George Frank . My grandma was Rose Mary Frank, who then married Eric Leyland Weild. I think they lived in the Sheffield area for some time
There is no mention of the actual place of birth on John's naturalisation papers other than Germany . I haven't seen Rose's papers yet.
I am amazed and very excited to have found out this information. How did you know that your aunt worked there. Did she tell you any stories about the Kobers? Having 6 daughters must have been a handful!
I have been asked by the genetics department at Manchester hospital to check into my roots as we have a high ovarian / prostate cancer risk in the family and they suggested I look into my roots to see if there is any Ashkenazi Jewish connection from the Kober name. When I googled the name Kober it said it was AJ , but I doubt it now you have confirmed who they were and what they did.
Thanks for your help

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:33 BST (UK) »
I only know my aunt worked there via the 1891 census, she went to America and we lost touch with that side of the family, so no stories unfortunately.

As for John's birth place, odds are it's near Kunzelsau, there are a lot of villages round and about, it usually tells you the village on the naturalisation papers, but it seems you've been a bit unlucky. Are you aware that John had a brother George (born c.1840), who also lived in Sheffield.

There maybe a sister Catherine too, but I haven't got a proven link for that. Your best bet if you want to pursue it is to find any siblings that John had and see if you can find out exactly where any of them came from. Or maybe you could find some distant cousins, they might have a place name or some interesting family records, I managed to find out quite a lot from cousins.
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline rthaffner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: Monday 01 December 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am new to this but I am trying to trace my German ancestors who were Pork Butchers and had a business in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.  Henry Harry Haffner is shown on the 1891 census working for Frederick Frank in Peterbrough, aged 17 born in Wurttenbury, Germany and I believe that he is my Great Grandfather. He married Martha Munton in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1900 and there was a Haffners Pork Butchers in Little Church St, Wisbech. Henry and Martha divorced in 1910,when I think the business was sold to G.W. Frank who are still going strong on the Market Place in Wisbech. Henry shows up at an address in Barnsley in the 1911 census, Martha starts her own business at a neighbouring property still in Little Church St Wisbech, moving to 2 the Market place sometime after (1919?) until my Father called it a day in 1972 and the business was closed down.
In the 1911 census my Grandfather's sister, Hilda Harriet Haffner age 7 is shown with Leonard Cantenwine at Bridgefoot Boston and listed as his niece.
I have read through some of the posts here and one of them states that the Cantenwine brothers Mother was a Susanna Elisabetha Hohenrein, my grandfathers name was Henry Harry Hohenrein Haffner but he died in 1943 and my Father does not remember him at all, my Grandmother quickly remarried, My Father was sent to boarding school and the Haffner side of the family kept very quiet from him. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Richard Haffner, New Zealand.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: Monday 01 December 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the forum rthaffner.
There is a Haffner Family in the Lancashire area, I believe it's Burnley.
During WW1, the Haffners had 2 sons at the front, and when the 2 sons were on leave, they served behind the counter in their uniforms, due to the anti-German paranoia at the time.
Infact, (& Histres may correct me on this one), the boys uniforms are on display at the local museum.
I think that there is still a Haffner butcher shop in Burnley
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline rthaffner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: Monday 01 December 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I think my Father had been in touch with the Haffners in Lancashire a few years back, he is still in the old country, only moving by about 50 or 60 miles from our native Wisbech where 3 generations of 'our' Haffner family were born, the last generation being myself, but had drawn a blank there, unless we are related way back in Germany.
I have tried looking for a Haffner/Hohenrein marrage but have had no luck, nor have I been able to find any immigration/emigration records of my Great Grandfather who seems to have vanished from the face of the planet!
Thanks for your reply, so quick too!
Regards, Richard.

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: Friday 23 January 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Meinkheim

Here is an interesting link to the Meinikheim Family from Ingelfingen:

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Docs/PDF/Resident/Leisure/Museums-and-archives/archives/Past-Forward/pf64.pdf

Just scroll down until you reach the article.

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: Saturday 14 March 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Some changes and enhancements here, which you might find useful .... :)

Topic: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: Enhancements
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715435.msg5592425#msg5592425

regards,
bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hilltock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: Thursday 19 March 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Pauline Haas married Walter Shearstone in 1901 in Sheffield. Their Confectioner shop was damaged during WW1 by rioters possibly because she was of German origin.
Bev