Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224251 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #549 on: Thursday 19 March 15 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the official Imperial War Museum dvd of WW1, and there is a small clip of shops being damaged due to the owners being of German descent.
I seem to notice these sort of clips being mentioned in many WW1 programs being currently shown.
Maybe one day, someone will make a documentary of the civilians  who were interned during WW1, due to their heritage..... now that would make great watching :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: Sunday 24 May 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
For anybody that had relatives interned during WW1, there's some info on how to access the IRC records online in the  following forum    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=112434.27

....or you can simply go straight to http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Once you have found the person, the bottom right hand corner, gives a reference to the page on the register, on this one it is: Alld XLIII (43). Underneath it has 42, which will be the 42nd of Alld XLIII. Enter those numbers and hey presto, there's your person and their internment history

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: Thursday 31 December 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I wish all on the forum, a Peaceful New Year, and a special mention to Karl-Heinz.
Hopefully, looking forward to attending The 2nd Pork Butcher Descendants’ Reunion Germany, Hohenlohe Region from 3rd August till 07th August 2016.

Alles Gute im neuen Jahr! Prosit 2016!

Johnbhoy

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: Thursday 31 December 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Johnbhoy,
Thank you for your good wishes. I also hope that you can manage to take part in the 2nd Great German Pork Butcher Descendants' Reunion in August in Hohenlohe. If there is anyone else interested, please tell me and I will send you a registration form with details for costs and the programme.
I also wish everybody in the forum a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful and Successful New Year.
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: Saturday 09 January 16 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently reading a book titled 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War', and I came across this little story, it's a 14 year old boy recalling a night in Hull, in June 1915 after a zeppelin raid:

'There were at least three big fires and much damage, including Edwin Davis' shop, near Holy Trinity Church, which was destroyed. There was much excitement and no doubt people were fearful and angry. It was Sunday night and a number of people attacked GERMAN PORK BUTCHERS' shops, one in Charles Street.

A policeman who attempted to protect a German shop from the maddened crowd was chased down the street and was lucky to escape'.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Another interesting article on anti German feeling in Hull towards Pork Butchers of German origin   
http://humberfirstworldwar.co.uk/1915/height-of-attacks-on-german-owned-businesses-in-hull/

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello all you descendants of German pork butchers,
I would like to inform you about a special event that takes place in the first week of August this year. I am organising the 2nd Great German Pork Butcher Descendants' Reunion in Hohenlohe, the area where most of your forefathers came from. You are all warmly invited. The four day meeting combines the historical background with an interesting culinary, cultural and sightseeing programme.
If you are interested, please send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I will send you the programme, cost and payment details and a booking form. After having received the latter you may still decide if you want to take part or not.

Best wishes
Histres
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)