Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 223040 times)

Offline lordlever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #558 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Their are lods in country just look for the words LIDL and ALDI (SUD) OK

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Swiss Gill! on 13 May 2014 you kindly sent me details of my husband's great grandfather's death (Andrew Raab, who died in an accident on 2 Sep 1875 at the Tate Factory), from the Manchester Evening News, also recorded in the Liverpool Mercury (both of 03 Sep). I have tried to find the articles again, by searching the British Newspaper Archive, but can not bring them up. Could I trouble you for the link to the articles? Many thanks Penstemon 5

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Been a while since I was on this thread.  Obviously the result of hard work by many to get to this point.
Thank you for that.

My Grandfather (Frederick August Louis Schoch) was a Butcher in Wallsend, Newcastle at the outbreak of WW1 (he managed a shop for the Dorr family, as per the 1911 census).
He married a local girl (Ethel Gibson) and moved to Worksop (and his 1st Butcher shop),  also their 1st born in 1913 (my father Frederick William).
I have not been able to find where he was interred but, while he was they had another child (Ethel May in 1915).
I have also not been able to find a record of his shop in Worksop or any location he worked after he was released.
I find him again in 1939 working for Chas Spalding and Sons in Oldury.
Again I find him in 1945, Langley near Birmingham, but I can only assume he was working as a butcher as I can find nothing to support this.
If anyone has come across Frederick August Louis ( or Ludwig August Friedrich Schoch) in their searches I would be most appreciative to hear from them.

Thanks
Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Penstamon

I no longer have a subscription to British Newspapers but if you follow this link you will see what I sent to Bryan who is a member here and he entered the details into his database "Fatalities":

http://www.mawer.clara.net/fatalities.html

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree, Penstamon, that 1875 for those two newspapers has disappeared from both British Newspaper Archives and FindMyPast.
Until they return we are left with the partial quote that I have on my website, just as Gill suggests.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Gill and Bryan. I thought I was going mad when I couldn't find them. How strange that they have disappeared, I thought once online they stayed there for ever!
Best wishes,
Penstemon

Offline knockaloe.im

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: Sunday 20 March 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Frederich Schoch of 65 Bridge Street, Worksop was interned in late 1914, initially to Douglas in the Isle of Man and then moved into Knockaloe, Patrick on the Isle of Man as it expanded in 1915 to become the largest WW1 internment camp, holding tens of thousands of internees. At the end of the war he was transferred to Frith Hill, Frimley, prior to his release on 8 August 1919. Would he be your grandfather?

We should be delighted to help you find out more about his internment experience and also put you in touch with other organisations who may also be able to add to his story. Do contact us via our website www.knockaloe.im or via our facebook page www.facebook.com/knockaloeinternmentcampiom both to find out more and so we can then find out a little more from you to help us take this further.

We are a 100% not for profit Registered Charity seeking to retell the stories of the thousands of WW1 internees, most of whom spent a considerable part of the war living in our village of Patrick, as well as developing a Visitor's Centre at Knockaloe, Patrick. We should love to hear from you. Our contact details are on the website.

Many thanks

Alison Jones

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: Sunday 20 March 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
Absolutely he was my Grandfather.

Thank you very much for this information.  It has been a long road to this point (5years), not just for him but the family he came from in Germany.
Fantastic  ;D
I will explore your site for any other details that may be there.  Are there actual lists that show his name, and those of his wife Ethel and the two children. I am still missing his sister Rosalin (Rosa) Nanette Schoch and was hoping she might turn up there as well  ::)

Not able to visit your center I'm afraid as I live now in Canada.

Regards

Richard

ps: I see it was a "male" only camp. Always thought his wife and children were interred with him, but if they were then it could not have been at this camp.
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline knockaloe.im

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: Sunday 20 March 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I am so pleased. if you would e mail us with what you know we can take it further identifying where he was in the camp and looking our own and other archives for you. We should also love to hear the family's "story".

Our database is being developed offline at the moment but will be coming online hopefully next year. In the meantime we will email everyone contacting us and do the search for them. There is a huge amount of information so we are just trying to bring it together.

In WW1 the only women interned were suspected spies. Wives of internees were repatriated but could seek exemption to stay in the UK. The vast majority of the applications to stay in the country were approved. However life was extremely hard for the families. Public opinion was a huge factor in internment policy during WW1 and anti-alien feeling was high. If you can email as much information as you have then  we can research the background for you and should be able to bring you some more information about the whole family's experience and also point you in the direction of others who can also help.

The database is being developed in a way to ensure it is currently sufficiently flexible to add the huge amount of information out there to it, hence not putting it online yet.

I am sorry you wont be able to visit, but perhaps at some point in the future. Our self guided walk (via a guidebook and or "app") around the site and area will be launched this year with an initial exhibition in the Visitors Centre which is still under development, and later this or early next year we shall be relocating an original hut back on site. So actually in a couple of years we should be able to provide a real sense of what life was like there. However at present we will provide private tours to anyone contacting us. In the meantime we are continually researching and are delighted to help on a one to one basis.

So do E mail, and the more information you have the more we will be able to tell you.

I am so pleased that we will be able to tell your Grandfather and his family's story at Knockaloe for future generations.

Kind regards

Alison