Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224400 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #36 on: Monday 12 October 09 21:54 BST (UK) »

A reply I received from Svenja........

In the "Southwest Germany Emigration Database" I found six entries with the name "Wall"
four of them were also from Owen, but noone with the name Christian or Frederick and
all of them emigrated in the 1850ies.

http://www.auswanderer-bw.de/auswanderer/index.php?sprache=de&suche=1

Here are all State Archives of the Bundesland Baden-Württemberg:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/49435

I think for your research you should look at the Archive in Stuttgart:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/49689

Here you can see which documents they have in the archive
by searching in the Findbücher or Findmittel:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/46943

I hope this is a help for you.

Regards
Svenja
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 12 October 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
My reply...

Svenja,
           Many many thanks for the reply.  :)
I felt that I was intruding on the young ladies post / thread (George Green), so I made another thread 'German Pork Butchers in Britain'.

I thank you for your reply and will certainly look into the links that you have provided. I'm struggling a bit just now, but with every little help, sometimes a clue to the person appears, and I would really like to know about Christian and his struggles in life, as after all, if it wasn't for him, my wife wouldn't be here today.

So far I have traced that Christian had 7 children, was a pork butcher in Carlisle and Lancaster (working for the Co-op in 1911). I now know that he is from the Württenberg region and possibly (not 100%) came to the UK in 1885.
I am hoping that he was not interned during 1914-1918, but it is a possibilty and a sad one at that.

So my research continues (it is a labour of love really) but may I take this opportunity Svenja to thank you for your reply, and if I get further along, I'll post it on my thread

Best Regards / Freundliche Grüße

John  :)

Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hello again John, and everyone here.
I came to read this thread about German Pork Butchers in Britain, as you told me about your thread, John, so I was curious! No problem about jumping in on my thread at all! The more the merrier!
I hope you find the answers in your researches. It seems a more interesting one than mine. I do not have any knowledge of my GF being interned during WW1 at all. As for him being a Jew, well, that never occurred to me at all! Maybe he was but not actually telling anyone, I will never be able to find out, but it's still an idea.
I wonder if his name is in that book you are reading? Maybe I can buy it myself. You see, I feel a bit cheeky asking for someone to look up things for me. I know posters help one another here but my only tool is my computer, and everyone has one of those, on here! I have read many threads on here and am amazed at the amount of work being done. I feel like a cheat getting something for nothing back in return. So yes, I'll look up that book and buy it! Cheers for now,
Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethgem, as you said, the more the merrier. I haven't read the book yet as I don't get back to the UK until next week, but any info I find for Ali (Herr Cutts - was he a barber Alison  ;) ) or George Green, I will mail you straight away ladies, you can be sure of that

Good Luck

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
I know, a butcher called 'cutts'.....  honestly!

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 01:21 BST (UK) »
I know, a butcher called 'cutts'.....  honestly!

;D lol, that is better than my poor attempt at a joke  ;D

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
Unbelievable that your Grandad had to report to a police station, I learn something new everyday and my wife is now getting really interested in searching for her German roots, thanks for sharing that.

Best Regards

My Grandad came here as a displaced person after WW2 (1948)  - he was actually born in the Ukraine but taken to Germany in 1940.
I have his details from ITS Bad Arsolen i am now trying to find out about his parents and brother - i have thier names so that is a start and i also have my Grandads p.o.b Bukoweic - now in Poland  - at the age of 10 he moved to Zahutyn where he lived until he was taken in early  1940. he was a carpenter by trade.

good luck with your search.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Unbelievable that your Grandad had to report to a police station, I learn something new everyday and my wife is now getting really interested in searching for her German roots, thanks for sharing that.

Best Regards

My Grandad came here as a displaced person after WW2 (1948)  - he was actually born in the Ukraine but taken to Germany in 1940.
I have his details from ITS Bad Arsolen i am now trying to find out about his parents and brother - i have thier names so that is a start and i also have my Grandads p.o.b Bukoweic - now in Poland  - at the age of 10 he moved to Zahutyn where he lived until he was taken in early  1940. he was a carpenter by trade.

good luck with your search.

Your search is coming along well Toni, did you ever find the records for your GD 'signing on' at the police station?

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 14:08 BST (UK) »
BTW folks, the sites that Svenja has posted above are very easy to navigate and are in English  :)